U23s v Leicester City

Day

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed to get a very generous helping of U23 second half pie, before the waitress took my plate away in the 89th minute. If you're on a yellow, kicking the ball away is asking for trouble. However, he's a very young lad and I've seen many a senior pro do similar things. I remember months ago that Gary said he didn't want his defenders to be passive, but to aggressively beat the forward to a ball (in other words get in front of him) if possible. I did notice that on a couple of occasions in the second half, our defenders did just that (pretty sure that EW was one of them). Anyway, I gather we lost, so hard luck to the lads (and congratulations on staying up?).

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

Better team won and such a stupid red to take.

Until the red card I thought the teams were pretty evenly matched. Just watched the replay of the red card - Sibley was committed to making a clearance when the whistle blew. Ref got it completely wrong.

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

3rd worst side in the division (but the best youth team in the country who's first team is outside the PL) lost to the 2nd best. No cause for alarm. Manner of the defeat is disappointing but they deserved the win. 

Derby created very little and got lucky in defense on a few occasions. Good to see Timi back.

Only half watching but "created very little" feels a bit harsh to me.

“You won’t score all night against Mitchell”

Commentators curse, I don’t think I’ve ever shouted at the screen so much,  I’ve not ever shouted at the team more than I did him tonight, he just drones and drones on about the lads gaining experience, and asking Eddie how important is this and how vital is that.

We know! It’s a development team! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

43 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Until the red card I thought the teams were pretty evenly matched. Just watched the replay of the red card - Sibley was committed to making a clearance when the whistle blew. Ref got it completely wrong.

If that's what happened, I apologise for my earlier comment, but unfortunately a dip in broadband speed meant I couldn't do what you did.

He was indicating a goal kick I thought, and then Laurel and Hardy just confused matters totally, it didn’t help that the camera man didn’t keep the lense on the penalty area at the time, we missed the actual showing of the red card all together.

Such a shame that the sending off influenced the game so negatively from our point of view. Obviously it didn’t help that our regular left back, Sven Karic, had gone off injured so leaving us to play Stabana out of position.  ( A player who is out of contract shortly.) 

Although Leicester probably deserved the win I thought that Darren Wassall gave a timely reminder in his post match interview of the number of young and relately inexperienced players we had out there again tonight.

Louie Sibley will probably be feeling dreadful at the moment, yet he is heading off to join the England Under 17 squad for their Euro tournament this week. He can be proud that he is holding his own at this level and hopefully has a bright future ahead of him.

3 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Mitchell looks sooooo scary.

I'd be more comfortable with Roos. Very much so.

Perhaps, but every time I've seen Roos playfor the U23s he's looked no better, seems to have quite weak arms/hands?

I've actually been more impressed by Josh Barnes than any of our other ginger keepers, he's basically a young Scott Carson, very calm, usually saves the shots you expect him to save plus some you don't and good distribution.

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

Perhaps, but every time I've seen Roos playfor the U23s he's looked no better, seems to have quite weak arms/hands?

I've actually been more impressed by Josh Barnes than any of our other ginger keepers, he's basically a young Scott Carson, very calm, usually saves the shots you expect him to save plus some you don't and good distribution.

I have no idea where that came from. Meant to say 'younger' keepers! Wouldn't one Mitchell to think I was singling him out!

Shocking commentary. Simply dreadful. It even took them five minutes to realize Sibley had been sent off. They didn't fully understand the implications of the Sunderland game and didn't know when it had finished. And they don't have much of a clue about our Academy.

As for the game, a great strike from Timi Elsnik but disappointing to cave at the end of such a vital game, even with the sending off. A tremendous achievement to stay up again, but we don't half seem to make it hard for ourselves. If the Academy is to have a point, we need to see more players coming through. If we don't get promoted, I would take a year of transition to see half a dozen lads in and around the team.

14 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Shocking commentary. Simply dreadful. It even took them five minutes to realize Sibley had been sent off. They didn't fully understand the implications of the Sunderland game and didn't know when it had finished. And they don't have much of a clue about our Academy.

As for the game, a great strike from Timi Elsnik but disappointing to cave at the end of such a vital game, even with the sending off. A tremendous achievement to stay up again, but we don't half seem to make it hard for ourselves. If the Academy is to have a point, we need to see more players coming through. If we don't get promoted, I would take a year of transition to see half a dozen lads in and around the team.

Gary (if indeed he is the boss next season)needs to make it a priority to start bringing them through....I really don't mind a mid table finish if we can start blooding the new ones on a regular basis...it's the only way to progress if the academy is to flourish.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

You do have to bear in mind that most of the better players are in the squad for tonight or out on loan. 

10 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Only half watching but "created very little" feels a bit harsh to me.

I was only half watching too, so maybe we were out of sync with each other :D 

Archived