Now is the time for Rowett to be brave

2 hours ago, SecretDave said:

I think he might give Luke Thomas a go today. Got a feeling he will do something special... 

I thought this, especially as he mentioned a shoulder injury to Weimann in his pre match interview yesterday, doubt he will though he’s Mr Play It Safe

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, philmycock said:

I thought this, especially as he mentioned a shoulder injury to Weimann in his pre match interview yesterday, doubt he will though he’s Mr Play It Safe

Afraid to fly?

I want to get behind the lads today, but if I see us line up 4231 again I'll be deflated before we start. I need to see some evidence that we're learning from our mistakes.

I think we'll get turned over relatively comfortably though, I'm sorry to say.

OK, we're not out of it yet.

With so many teams on similar points maybe we can grab 6th place with 72 (4 points from 3 remaining games).

Also we have a game in hand and the best goal difference.

However, to be sure we now need 2 wins & a draw for 75 points.

Therefore, it all now pretty much hangs on the Cardiff game...

COYR!!!

The guy changed tactics. Can't really  whine at him in that respect. If Bradley Johnson (?) got himself out to their lad quicker prior to the first goal it might have been different. He's learnt the right to finish the season and he will. What happens next is debatable, but next year is going be a struggle I think.

Credit to Rowett for changing things yesterday but that only raised the question as to why he had not tried this much much earlier ( what were those phantom 4 changes in formation he said he tried at wolves???). It was typical that after the match  he said he only tried it cos we had nothing to lose ... words of a cautious, spineless loser.

Well everyone was brave last night!

Fantastic display, one of the best this season.

4 more points would give us the 75 to secure 6th, even 74 might actually do it.

Better goal difference than Millwall and still 2 points ahead of them.

Let Boro have 5th, as long as we're in it we can win it.

COYR!!!

I liked the 3 at the back giving us wing backs and allowing the other midfielders options to go inside, which filled our midfield up with attacking options as well as the defensive midfielders. Same again please against Villa. If we play like that i would be happy with taking a point off them. Then on to hopefully 3 points against Barnsley.

The Cardiff game was the best for months at Pride Park. The fans excelled themselves. The last 30 minutes provided everything we could want from a game - energy, skill, strength, commitment and 3 points. Quite a few questions arise from it all though.

Why has such a spectacle been absent so far this year?

How much has the manager learned from the night?

Will he revert to type next game, with the inevitable failure to reach the play-offs if he does so?

hi all

There's really no choice actually, he HAS to go for it against Villa. 

We can't assume 3 points against Barnsley, look where that kind of thinking has got us recently! 

Therefore, to be in with a chance of 75 points we need a minimum of a point against Villa even if we do then beat Barnsley. 

The best way to get a point against Villa is to hit them early, grab a goal or two and maybe then revert to type. 

We won't get even a point if we sit back from the start and hope for a goal on the break, we don't have either the pace up top or the defensive solidity to play like that really. 

Also, if we sit back and then concede and then fail to score the end result would exactly the same as if we gave it damn good go and ended up losing 3-2.  The latter is also better because if the goal difference ends up being tight between us and Boro and Millwall then the next factor to consider if points and goal difference are equal is goals scored.  It may well come down to that in the end.

Also I still think that with a playoff spot assured SB might be tempted to rest a few of his stars or put them on the bench.

In other news, how about targeting John Terry and letting Palmer & Vydra loose against him?  Eventually he will get tired and make a slip...

All these points argue in favour of keeping the same side that started against Cardiff and having the same attitude as if it was the 1st leg of a playoff. 

Better to hammer them from the start and see what happens rather than sit back and end up conceding after say 80 mins, by which time it's too late to salvage anything really.

COYR!!!

LR2

And he did, we were unlucky not go snatch all 3 points.

So here it is...as long as we don't lose on Sun we are in the playoffs with Boro, Villa and either Cardiff or Fulham.

Barnsley will be scrapping to avoid the drop but so what, surely we're a different proposition now than we were against Burton?

I don't care who we get in the playoffs, on our day we can take any of 'em!

COYR!!!

LR2

Archived