Darren Robinson to join as chief recruiter (Alan Nixon)

Day

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

He wasn't named but even if so we failed as a club did we not? Scouting and recruitment is rubbish here and has been for a few years.

Overall I agree, but when it comes to Watkins in particular, why tap out double what he eventually went for?

If I was Mel, I'd clear out literally everyone behind the scenes, at all levels, and start from scratch. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Damn right it's easy. I and many others said it about Watkins for nearly 2 years. But no, he went to Brentford for a third of the price of Lawrence. Piece of piss this's scouting lark. Just open your eyes and expand out of Prem failures and champ journeymen.

As @reveldevil said , were quoted double the price that Brentford were . I would have done the same , would you pay double for your pint just because you have more money than guy standing next to you at the bar ? And has Watkins really tore up this league ? He's done ok at Brentford but that's about it. 

20 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

He wasn't named but even if so we failed as a club did we not? Scouting and recruitment is rubbish here and has been for a few years.

So would your approach have been to offer even more money?

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Was that it...???

What - do we have Boris and David Davis as our negotiating team ffs??? :lol:

They are useless without the bus

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

So would your approach have been to offer even more money?

If we haven't the staff to negotiate the same buying price as another club we are in the poo. We have valuable assets we could use as loans from our academy do we not? How can we not get him for the same price? 

5 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

If we haven't the staff to negotiate the same buying price as another club we are in the poo. We have valuable assets we could use as loans from our academy do we not? How can we not get him for the same price? 

Well if we're loaning our young players out aswell as paying the fee then surely were paying more aren't we ?

A lot was made of Nigel Clough and his so called lack of scouting, but when you look at the players he signed he must have had a scouting network he trusted.

There were some chaff players but when you think he signed:

Grant, Forsyth, brayford, Keogh, Buxton, Martin, Ward, Frank fielding, Hendrick (as a kid), Bryson, even Theo Robinson wasn't too bad.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Clough would get with the 60 odd million we have literally thrown away the last few years.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Wasn't Watkins the player referred to in the latest forum?

We were quoted £4m, walked away and he went to Brentford for £1.8m.

He was on our radar but it was reported that the new regime were not interested - I can't recall whether it was Mac or Gary who walked away but their was definitely a change of heart. I really liked the look of him and I think £1.8 seems like pretty good business. He's a talented lad and plays a bit like Casey. Heyho! 

46 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A lot was made of Nigel Clough and his so called lack of scouting, but when you look at the players he signed he must have had a scouting network he trusted.

There were some chaff players but when you think he signed:

Grant, Forsyth, brayford, Keogh, Buxton, Martin, Ward, Frank fielding, Hendrick (as a kid), Bryson, even Theo Robinson wasn't too bad.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Clough would get with the 60 odd million we have literally thrown away the last few years.

Just think of the team we could have had if we'd have had a couple more newsagents looking.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

5 Sean Barkers, 3 Brayfords, 8 Brysons, 22 Connor Sammons, 7 Jamie Wards...

Football inflation. Since Nigel left, it's been at a ridiculous rate. A Shaun Barker type signing would be around 4m now i reckon. Even Conor Sammon would be around the 3-4m mark based off one good season at Kilmarnock.

24 minutes ago, Ramchop said:

Football inflation. Since Nigel left, it's been at a ridiculous rate. A Shaun Barker type signing would be around 4m now i reckon. Even Conor Sammon would be around the 3-4m mark based off one good season at Kilmarnock.

True but also up to last summer, we've been seen as a club with money to burn, so fees have been inflated for us.

On 4/17/2018 at 17:31, eddie said:

I wrote reports on Lingard's performances while he was at Derby for one of the Manchester United websites. I'm sure that you can find them if you sniff around, but I was absolutely certain that he was a player of immense promise As far as now is concerned, he's holding down a first-team spot in one of the top 5 or 6 sides in Europe, and is already into double figures in full international caps.

Eddie, seriously, you dont need to say owt mate. THere were large sections of Rams fans way back who thought John McGovern couldnt play. 

16 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Eddie, seriously, you dont need to say owt mate. THere were large sections of Rams fans way back who thought John McGovern couldnt play. 

Not me.

I blamed Durban.

;)

Saying that, McGovern never won a Scottish cap. How stupid is that?

Archived