Mel Morris - Please read.

Pearson

7 hours ago, Pearson said:

Precisely what is crap football?

A - Is it a style set out to attack Gung-Ho with no discipline and no credence given to the opposition?

B - Or is a style centred on a structured pattern, discipline, with team selections based on the ability of your players?

One of these styles will eventually earn you success, the other for all its attractions, will ultimately lead to failure.

Man City and Wolves have done alright playing style A, go and tell Man City fans their football's been crap this season.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

And Birmingham have done well since he left ?. Oh and didn't premier league Stoke want him ? 

As I remember it, it was supposedly Stoke fans wanted him - was there ever a sniff out of the club itself, don't think so.

3 hours ago, GadFly said:

Why did we sack him TWICE then if he's soooooo good?

Tbh I don't like him, but I think it's utterly disrespectful to the guy to think we can just hire and fire and hire and fire and hire and fire him over and over again at the whim of the fickle fans and even fickler chairman. It's borderline abusive! What makes you (or anyone else that wants Mac back) think he'd want to come back here? 

Why? Only a few people know the full reason why.

It isn't fair to keep hiring and firing Mac. Where have I said I wanted him back? I appreciate what he has done for this club, how he took us from mid-table fodder to within touching distance of the Premier.

You asked what Mac's track record is, then you completely piss all over his achievements, and think that Rowett's 2 league 2 play off failures (because that's what not going up is, isn't it?) is by far a greater track record. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

As I remember it, it was supposedly Stoke fans wanted him - was there ever a sniff out of the club itself, don't think so.

Neither of us will probably ever know if there was any contact between the club's but there's no smoke without fire and Rowett got offered the new contract , surely Mel wouldn't have been that desperate to get the new contract sorted if there was no interest ? 

1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

Neither of us will probably ever know if there was any contact between the club's but there's no smoke without fire and Rowett got offered the new contract , surely Mel wouldn't have been that desperate to get the new contract sorted if there was no interest ? 

That implies Mel knows what he's doing financially in the football club - not seen any evidence of that have we?

1 minute ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Morris gives a new contract to Hanson, a cheap youth product that would never start a championship game for a promotion chasing side, then attends an under 23 game for local media. Smacks to me as a pr stitch up job. 

I think you're being unfair.

We don't know how effective Hanson would be at 1st team level, he's not really had the run of games to prove it one way or the other. 

We also don't know how many u23 games Mel attends, it could be all or it could be none, but to label it a PR stunt when it's only being broadcast on the in house TV channel is a stretch. 

A PR stunt is letting Sky know exactly where you'll be in the South stand, when you could well disguise yourself by not letting the cameras, and the media more widely know where you are.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That implies Mel knows what he's doing financially in the football club - not seen any evidence of that have we?

What by backing his staff ? Naieve decisions at times maybe but he's the chairman , his job is to back the club financially has he not done that ? 

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I think you're being unfair.

We don't know how effective Hanson would be at 1st team level, he's not really had the run of games to prove it one way or the other. 

We also don't know how many u23 games Mel attends, it could be all or it could be none, but to label it a PR stunt when it's only being broadcast on the in house TV channel is a stretch. 

A PR stunt is letting Sky know exactly where you'll be in the South stand, when you could well disguise yourself by not letting the cameras, and the media more widely know where you are.

Stunt would be too kind. I said stitch up.

Local hearts and minds matter more than national media... In this instance

1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

What by backing his staff ? Naieve decisions at times maybe but he's the chairman , his job is to back the club financially has he not done that ? 

No. It's his job, like it is a parents to say 'that's not wise' or 'you've spent your pocket money'. There was no judgement in his backing.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

No. It's his job, like it is a parents to say 'that's not wise' or 'you've spent your pocket money'. There was no judgement in his backing.

He can only do so much , how do you think it works for god's sake ? He's damned if he does damned if he doesn't ? In a business you employ people to do a set job and have to trust people to that job . You think he can over see every signing and contract and business deal the club does , not his job. I'm not saying he's been perfect as a I've stated many times before but hopefully he's learnt from past errors.

7 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

I just loved how structured and disciplined we were to let bottom sides Sunderland and Burton only score 7 goals past us.

I much preferred the structure, discipline and style in our successive games v Millwall, Aston Villa and Barnsley when we had a total of 38 shots and scored eight without conceding.

Perhaps supporters’ expectations weren’t as great then and the support of the team was whole hearted and non critical.

Now all we hear is vitriol and the lambasting of any player making a mistake. Great support, no wonder some of our players are going into a shell.

14 minutes ago, Pearson said:

I much preferred the structure, discipline and style in our successive games v Millwall, Aston Villa and Barnsley when we had a total of 38 shots and scored eight without conceding.

Perhaps supporters’ expectations weren’t as great then and the support of the team was whole hearted and non critical.

Now all we hear is vitriol and the lambasting of any player making a mistake. Great support, no wonder some of our players are going into a shell.

Are we not past blaming the fans yet?

Those same fans that have twice travelled (thankfully not out of the midlands) this week in support of their team only to be a big fat '**** you' from the manager and players before they even got chance to voice their displeasure? 

Dig in and fight and they'll be backed 110% like they were at PNE a few weeks ago, when they turn up with the intention of not winning the game and surrender as soon as things go south and they'll rightly get nothing IMO.

22 hours ago, Alpha said:

How is he proven. "More than capable". Well even if we do get promoted there's still going to be this boring ***** served up.

Oh the irony. To the boring Arsenal 1-0 whilst they win trophy after trophy. They currently play some of the most attractive football in the Premiership, and what has it got them? Think about it.

22 hours ago, Alpha said:

We're heading in the right direction but some performances make it appear we're not. So we ignore them and focus on only the good ones. Based on that even Paul Jewell, from my new perspective, would have got us promoted.  

Never ignore them. Learn from them maybe but certainly wouldn’t ignore. Every team has them.

Again it's based on your opinion rather than evidence. Your basically telling others their opinion is wrong because you believe something will happen with nothing to support it. Clough never finished close to the play offs. 

I’m basing my opinion on years of experience in football management, although only at an amateur level admittedly. But my apologies I tend to step back when some keyboard warrior, who has never played the game, bar his play station, is offering a critique on football matters.

Why 3 years? Nobody wanted to give Mac 3 years. Wolves and Cardiff aren't in year 3. Bristol aren't? What's with the 3 years? 

There will always be exceptions, especially if major financial support is on offer, but by and large sides successful are developed over a period of time, three years is minimum.

West Brom were promoted with Di Matteo and Sunderland with... Can't even remember. They changed managers and stayed up. Leicester changed manager and won the league. Watford have changed manager several times. Arsenal haven't. There's examples to "prove" any point you want

Bit lost with your response? but I was referring to Pullis and Hughes being hounded out and how detrimental that was to the clubs involved.

Capable? Of what? A bright future of young hungry players playing exciting stuff? Capable of promotion and then defending defeats like we did at Wolves.

What’s he supposed to do? Every other manager delvers exactly the same PR spin. There are only so many things you can say after a loss without castigating the whole team

It's your opinion that Rowett is the man. It's other that he's not. That makes everyone else idiotic and unable to understand the nuances of the game?

I have probably answered this when referring to the keyboard warriors above.

Anyway Alpha  thanks for your considered response which is refreshing to see.

4 minutes ago, Pearson said:

Oh the irony. To the boring Arsenal 1-0 whilst they win trophy after trophy. They currently play some of the most attractive football in the Premiership...

Don't think so, not for quite some time. That honour a lot would say lies with Man City, and we can see where it's got them!

10 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think the problem for me personally is that I am starting to not care. I should be annoyed with the performances and especially the results against the likes of Sunderland, but I just don't seem to care now.

My frustration has just turned in to total apathy. I'm looking at the Boro game and I should be fired up knowing it's a chance to get back in the mix against a rival, but I am finding it hard to care. I know we will set up the same way we did against Burton and watch our team try and defend (ineffectively) for 90 minutes and hope one of about three players capable of creating something pulls out a worldie.

I have been giving Rowett the benefit of the doubt since our form went off a cliff but I am now at the point where I am not enjoying matches in any way shape or form and if it continues I will simply not bother.

Does that make me a half fan? I don't care. I am not so much of a mug that I will spend a big chunk of my weekend doing something I don't enjoy.

EDIT* 'Mug' might be the wrong word in the last bit of my post, I don't want to say that people who stick with it are all mugs because that is very unfair. I just don't have the desire to do it as things stand.

Agreed, I used to be apathetic but now I couldn't care less!

Archived