Home Advantage

Day

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

The 'naive' quote was aimed at the Keogh comment which I highlighted. I think we all agree that Keogh is a top end Championship player, so if he is sold on he would go to a club of similar expectations? You inferred that he would be treated differently. Trust me fans of clubs like QPR, won't cut players any slack. I don't believe any would.

I don't disgree with your excellent original post by the way. Just the Keogh bit.:thumbsup:

Ok fair enough, and I know we are drifting off topic but I do disagree with your comments re Keogh. If he wasn't and had never been the captain of Derby, yet had played as he has for the last few seasons, he would be looked on altogether differently in my opinion.

I still cannot get over the rubbish attached to him from Wembley, when his 'mistake' came after two previous and altogether more basic errors from Forsyth and Buxton! Buxton is still revered to this day by some fans, yet he was half the player Keogh is, and Keogh was absolutely immense for the whole of that season in our journey to Wembley. Such short memories we have.

I think that Keogh has been unfortunate to have been captain in the last few years when the club have been labelled as bottlers and because he is Captain and attracts the higher profile, he is labelled thus. The increased expectations once again come into play.

Whether is he a good captain or the right choice is another question. He is compared unfavorably with some world class players we have had as captain in the past and there is no shame in that, but Paul Connolly, Robbie Savage???? 

I may need to be corrected but I'm sure that he has featured in two record breaking or equaling Derby defences in the last few years??

To me he seems to have to be the main header, the playmaker and the pacey covering defender. Buxton, Shackell, Davies etc just simply have to mark their man and head it and kick it without the same responsibility.

I would wager that Keogh has the ball at his feet twice as much as any of his centre half partners ever have. He makes a mistake or has a bad game and it seems to be magnified because its Keogh. The old 'Keogh always has a mistake in him' comments come out. All of the players have mistakes in them!!! Had the Sunderland forward not missed a sitter on Friday night after Davies had completely misjudged the cross, would Davies be singled out similarly?

He isn't perfect by any stretch, but he is a very good player and yet he is the often the first one that is singled out for abuse. I had hoped as much for his sake that this season would be the one, but as it looks less likely nowadays, I find myself thinking its time for him to move on in the summer and be recognized as a very good player at another club, without the baggage he has to carry at Derby.

As a good player that has given his best years to our club (when I am sure he has had other opportunities) and to my knowledge hasn't put a foot wrong in being an excellent ambassador on and off the pitch, the lack of respect shown to him sums up the over expectant and toxic attitude of our fans nowadays.

I should add that I think he is much more appreciated by the fans who travel to away games from what I have heard and seen in recent years.

On 4/3/2018 at 19:53, David said:

Did you know we are now the only top 6 side to pick up more points on the road than at home this season?

Wolves - Home 45 Away 40

Cardiff - Home 48, Away 32

Fulham - Home 37, Away 35

Villa - Home 39, Away 31

Derby - Home 32, Away 33

Boro - Home 36, Away 27

Even the chasing pack

Bristol City - Home 35, Away 27

Millwall - Home 37, Away 25

Sheffield United - Home 37, Away 25

Interesting stats. I have one for "BrisVegas" if he hadn't noticed.

Burnley are the ONLY Premier League team with more away points (24) than home points (22) this season.:)

And yet many neutrals think Burnley can only survive in the PL because of their home record at their Turf Moor "dump".

49 minutes ago, Grantona said:

Burnley are the ONLY Premier League team with more away points (24) than home points (22) this season.:)

And yet many neutrals think Burnley can only survive in the PL because of their home record at their Turf Moor "dump".

I miss our old baseball ground dump ,,, fair play to Burnley ,,proper traditional old club and proper old school fans

1 hour ago, Grantona said:

I feel like I'm repeating myself, but they have played a game extra away from home!

6 hours ago, David said:

That's a bit optimistic thinking Boycie would be even remotely capable of performing such internet greatness I have provided you all with.

Steady on.

Those new jumpers and T-shirts might fit your frame, but they're no good if they won't fit over your head.

44 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Steady on.

Those new jumpers and T-shirts might fit your frame, but they're no good if they won't fit over your head.

I only wear shirts, easy access. 

On 4/4/2018 at 19:24, europia said:

Interesting observations. Probably best in some ways we don't actually achieve promotion. Can you imagine the atmosphere when we are getting tanked at home by the likes of Mancity, Liverpool, Spurs etc 

Nah. I reckon the players would get it easier to honest. gallows humour would take over.

We'd all be singling, '5-0, you only beat us 5-0....' or words to that effect :D

I think promotion would re-set expectations as everyone would be happy with 17th. Everyone would expect a battle and if we gave it our all and didn’t survive but at least got close to survival without blitzing millions, we’d be content and supportive for the following season. Or at least I hope we would.

The derby fans in my football watching time have never been better than the  07/08 11 point season. 

On 4 April 2018 at 11:00, NewhallRam71 said:

I'd say that the terrible atmosphere at Pride Park contributes. Since the Mac 1 collapse and Mel money got splashed in the Clement season I think the level of expectation at homes games has risen to toxic levels. The nervousness around the ground is in the air at the first sign of things not going to plan.

I'm a (was) third generation season ticket holder since the BBG days but decided not to bother this season.

Eh?

If we were half as entertaining as Arsenal have played tonight it would be worth the ticket money. You want the atmosphere to improve at pride park ....make the game exciting simple. What was it against PNE 1 or 2 shots never mind on target.

16 minutes ago, superzak said:

If we were half as entertaining as Arsenal have played tonight it would be worth the ticket money. You want the atmosphere to improve at pride park ....make the game exciting simple. What was it against PNE 1 or 2 shots never mind on target.

Arsenal fans are hardly all sweetness and light though, are they? Who's to say anything would change, save for the levels of expectation?

30 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Arsenal fans are hardly all sweetness and light though, are they? Who's to say anything would change, save for the levels of expectation?

I didn't say they were. I'm referring to excitement levels. We are boring boring boring to watch so why would the P.P be rocking. The gane at the end of the day is about getting that round thing in and around the goalmouth area. As Archie Gemmill says he doesn't understand the 20 passes in yer own half then hoof mentality.

1 hour ago, superzak said:

Arsenal haven't been that entertaining this season, ask the Arsenal fans.

1 minute ago, KCG said:

Arsenal haven't been that entertaining this season, ask the Arsenal fans.

I know what your saying it cant be achieved week in week out. But if you really want a rocking atmosphere play with peoples emotions. End to end stuff like the Arsenal game tonight. Pinging it around in midfield going nowhere in the end becomes tedious.

1 hour ago, Shuff264 said:

After todays game we are now a better side at home!

We are the 10th best Home side and 4th best Away side based on PPG.

image.thumb.png.92ebcbd37c93a06b23069f83083ddb5d.png

Surely that means we are a better away team then, if we are 4 th best away but only 10 th best at home 

Archived