9 points off top 2

Unbelievable to think we were at least 5 points ahead of Cardiff and now find ourselves 9 points behind them, 12 if they win their game in hand.

We are looking at the kind of collapse that would have Graham Richards sacked from radio derby.

Anybody else starting to take this bad luck personally?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Starting to depress me this happening year after year not gonna lie. When other teams have blips we have total collapses, why is that? How can you start playing this bad after getting in such a good position??

We got lucky and now we're not. Rowett doesn't know why we got lucky, either.

Forget about top 2. We were seriously boxing above our weight when we reached those giddy heights. We're now in a mini league with Boro, Bristol, Preston and Sheffield for those last 2 play off places. As things stand, if we do make the play offs we'll, quite rightly, be considered the weakest team and the one everyone else wants to play. 

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We got lucky and now we're not. Rowett doesn't know why we got lucky, either.

Don't think there is a reason for luck, if he's trying to rediscover that magic potion then he is wasting his time.  It was spooky, we scored on virtually every attempt and there seemed to be an invisible force field behind Carson for months on end

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m not sure you can get lucky 3-0 wins... something’s changed and I’m not sure what

There was a number of times we were lucky in those 'good' periods. So many times we nearly gifted the opposition a chance that they wasted. e.g Bristol at home no one delt with it, came all the way through to Paterson who blazed it over the bar. There was at least 1 a game but LUCKILY, it never came to anything.

So many of our games this season we have played poorly but managed to grab a goal and win the game. I would happily take that but as we know now, you cant sustain that because eventually playing crap will cost you. Like it is now, YET AGAIN.

Once again i feel like i have had a close encounter with a boot in my nether regions ,i really am lost for words to explain this form we are in.  Is trouble going on behind the scene ,is Mel pulling the string again or are the players just not as good as we think they are.

But on the bright side got my tickets for the forest game and just want to win that one ,as for the play offs how many times has the weakest team gone through remember .

We weren’t that good earlier on in the season. 

Keogh was setting the tempo going forward, Davies was a rock, Vydra and Carson were producing magic to get us wins. 

Teams man-marked Keogh whilst Vydra and Carson couldn’t have been expected to keep their ridiculous form up for 46 games.

1 minute ago, cannable said:

We weren’t that good earlier on in the season. 

Keogh was setting the tempo going forward, Davies was a rock, Vydra and Carson were producing magic to get us wins. 

Teams man-marked Keogh whilst Vydra and Carson couldn’t have been expected to keep their ridiculous form up for 46 games.

To add to this teams have clicked on to if they overload the midfield they can overrun us. 

And I think Ledley struggling for fitness since January is a big factor. He was in phenomenal form before Xmas and was a big reason why we were solid in defence. 

Also you could throw in the factor of Rowett no longer having the option to chuck on Martin and Thorne to play keep ball in the final 20 mins of a game to take the sting out of it.

Sadly age is a factor for me. 

Against teams earlier in the season the midfield coped ok with movement and we didn’t get caught out too badly. They had the reserves to get them through a match ok. 

However, now the season is taking the toll it always does, our aging midfield particularly really really struggles into the last 30 or so minutes of a game. Our aging forwards are leggy and are not getting any real easy service to them and when they get a chance the legs are not there as they should be. 

Opposition teams are fresher and Subs they bring on have that youthful energy we are sorely missing. They then start to run rings around us and we are chasing shadows and then the game, if we haven’t already lost it beforehand. 

Palmer has brought some energy, but it’s not enough, not by a long stretch. 

Add to this a lack of real finishing quality from the wide areas or anyone not named Vydra and you have a receipe for struggling side. 

Sad, but not surprised the season has caught up with us. 

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m not sure you can get lucky 3-0 wins... something’s changed and I’m not sure what

Slightly disagree.

Against Birmingham they hit the post in a dominant first 20 minutes. Had that gone in who knows. After that Russell's attempted cross somehow bobbled into the net to put us in front. From then on we ran out worthy winners, despite Brum hitting the post again at 2-0.

Against Brentford the game was pretty level until their guy got sent off. 3 quick goals & that saw us through comfortably.

Maybe we weren't 'lucky' in those 3-0 victories, but we got some lucky breaks at key moments which we aren't getting any more

After the Birmingham game in mid-January, we were two points clear of Cardiff, five points clear of Villa, and a whopping 10 points clear of Fulham.

In the nine games that have followed, we have won one, drawn six and lost two, for a total of 9 points from 27 available.

Fulham have picked up 23 points in the last nine games, leading to a swing of 14 points. Villa have picked up 19 points in their last eight games, leading to a swing of 10 points. Cardiff have picked up 20 points from their last eight games, leading to a swing of 11 points. 

After the Christmas period through to the spring, it is typically the time we see the pretenders separated from the contenders and the cold, hard, unavoidable fact is that once again, we have performed like a pretender and as a result, it's not crazy to suggest it will take a 10-match winning run to merely give us a chance of finishing second.

It's clear that our attack is too one-dimensional and completely and utterly reliant on Vydra and it's also clear that our key players this season - Carson, Keogh, Davies, Ledley and Vydra - have failed to sustain the level of performance which our success was built upon. Marry all of the above together and it's clear to see why we now find ourselves hanging on to a play-off place. With no sign of Rowett knowing what to do to stop the rot, I think it's time we started looking over our shoulders, folks.

As disappointing as our collapse has been, I hope it has highlighted that we need to improve many areas of the squad over the summer - we need a full back, two midfielders, two wingers and a striker at a minimum. We can't move forward with Baird, Huddlestone, Ledley, Jerome and Nugent. The majority of them need to be replaced by younger, more dynamic players. The likes of Lawrence and Weimann need to be replaced by better players full stop.

But for the meantime, we are still in the top six and if it stays that way, it surely will be judged as a success compared to most people's expectations. Unless we slip out of the play-off places in dramatic fashion, I don't think Rowett's job will be in any danger.

First nine games of the season: 12 points.

Most recent nine games of the season: 9 points.

The middle 18: 40 points from 18 games.

Conclusion: We are not a title winning team. We are not a top 2 team. We just played like one or got results like one for 18 games. We've simply not been good enough or consistent enough for long enough. Seasons don't last 18 games with 9 warm up games and 19 warm-down games, sadly.

Petition to the EFL for a rule change, anyone? :lol:

Archived