Plain for all to see (but not the manager) !

Ram8

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I ain't smiling I'm laughing, saves crying at how things are!

Not alone, sat in 5th place with 11 games to go, I'm always reaching for the handkerchief for an afternoon blubber as I reminisce over the glory days under Clough, Jewell, Brown, Todd, can feel myself going now just thinking of Nathan Ellington leading the line for us and Lu Luk Luke Varney...I've gone, now look what you've done ?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The majority of fans and managers in the division would look at Martin and Vydra as a partnership to build around in a squad that lacks much attacking talent. Two strikers who have been prolific in the division, are still in their prime and suit each other; one's a quick finisher, one's a big hold up striker.

That was the big mistake this season in my mind. We built the defence well, it's clearly solid but we clearly lost a lot in attack by doing so.

Rowett was touted when he arrived as a versatile manager who would get the best out of what he had, he had a striker who's clearly proven himself more than capable at this level but he never made enough of an effort to incorporate him into the side.

The most gutting thing is we are back to square one this summer, we don't have a striker in place who will still be at the same level of performance next season. Martin and Vydra are two players who'll still be in their prime next year. For the long term sustainability of a team making a promotion push, teaming them up should have been prioritised.

Reliance on older players is something that will hurt us this summer, our striking partnership is an area where we could have prevented that.

5 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Wasn't long ago when fans would be happy with being in the play-offs. What are fans seriously expecting? Crushing every opponent? 

I'm surprised we're doing as well as we are. I'd hate to think how our fans would react if we were in Sunderland's position.... 

The same/similar to how Sunderland fans are reacting I reckon. I will still be happy with a Play-Off spot and definitely recognise how fortunate we are compared to Sunderland. COYR

rammieib :-         I didn’t say Vydra was being played in the wrong position, what I did say was that he was (rightly, his best position) playing in the space immediately behind the No. 9, and that he (despite his valuable goals) cannot be expected to play there AND be that ‘scheming’ link man ! 

I was making the point about the wide open space between the ‘defensive midfielders’ and Vydra ..

and Leicester Ram :-        I agree, the ‘call’ of not giving a chance to a potentially lethal partnership of Vydra and Martin was a massive mistake .. 

19 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

The majority of fans and managers in the division would look at Martin and Vydra as a partnership to build around in a squad that lacks much attacking talent. Two strikers who have been prolific in the division, are still in their prime and suit each other; one's a quick finisher, one's a big hold up striker...

Rowett was touted when he arrived as a versatile manager who would get the best out of what he had, he had a striker who's clearly proven himself more than capable at this level but he never made enough of an effort to incorporate him into the side.

The most gutting thing is we are back to square one this summer, we don't have a striker in place who will still be at the same level of performance next season. Martin and Vydra are two players who'll still be in their prime next year. For the long term sustainability of a team making a promotion push, teaming them up should have been prioritised.

Reliance on older players is something that will hurt us this summer, our striking partnership is an area where we could have prevented that.

This is spot on. Plus its nothing at all to do with Mac!

14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

yeah go on then. Nobody is happy that we've not won, we've lost a couple, have hit a wall or have found ourselves in abit of a slump, but its those kind of reactionary statements that spark off another spiral of mard after mard and thread after thread of wannabe foot ball managers saying what should or shouldnt have happened despite having very little information to back it up. "Shoud have, would have, could have, i would have done it better, its obvious for EVERYONE to see but our manager" is all i got from the start of the thread so..... as much as Ram 8 is entitled to their opinion. so am I, and im ******* bored of reading people going over the top. moaning on.  we're in the top 6, for whatever reason, we're not looking in great shape however, but come on, are we really going to go back to threads on Martin and Hughes?  theyre not helpful, their divisive, so i wrote ......" get over yourself", maybe it was abit dismissive, but i havent got time to reply to every strop who fancies rehashing the same arguments. but i take your point IlsonDerby. maybe i was abit dismissive. Really bored of this self entitlement now, especially as i find it entirely counter productive. 

Don’t click on an article that’s clearly (from the title) going to wind you up ? 

To be fair surely we’re all wannabe managers of sorts otherwise we wouldn’t discuss tactics, substitutions or even put down our preferred 11. 

Tell him he’s wrong for what he’s said if that’s your opinion I just see no point in going onto an Arcticle you know will irk you! 

Anyway 3-0 derby tonight hopefully 

i'll click on whatever article i click on thanks. It didnt wind me up, thats why my comment was short, to the point and neither personal nor cutting.  but cheers for the advice. yeah man, 3-0 derby would be sweet. I'd  be happy with competent and spirited performance at the minute to be honest.

We do sack a lot of managers but sadly if he did get the boot tonight I really really would not care a jot.

He does not appear to have a strategy beyong score then defend for your life.

He has brought in old players to make us more robust yet we are not more robust.

His brand of football is just horrible to watch and therefore even worse when we are also getting beat (or at least not winning).

We still have no character - and no leaders

So although it always seems like a bad thing to do, I really could not think of a positive reason to keep him if Mel decided to let him go. With Clement I could - I thought it was madness to lose a young up and coming manager when he was at the start of a 5 year plan, but GR? Nah cant see it...sorry...

Not saying he has to be sacked - just saying I dont actually care as cannot get enthused with his tenure.

Archived