Plain for all to see (but not the manager) !

Ram8

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I love Chris Martin. So much so I'd build my team around his needs if I was manager.

But I'm not, Gary is, and so I see no harm in letting a well paid player who wasn't ever going to be Gary's man leave on loan.

If he was still here, he'd still be getting no more playing time, and wouldn't be saving our season either.

Jerome is Gary's man now, let's hope now he's signed a player best used as one part of a forward duo he uses him a such.

Sadly I see no sign of such a plan as yet, but surely that's why we signed him?

Jerome and Matej up front, with Palmer supplying the ammo should be the game plan from now on, surely?

I think Jerome thrives on quick,first time balls along the deck,played into space,and I'm not sure I've seen a lot of that so far.If I had to name one player on the club's books best suited to providing that ammo,I'd probably go for Max Bird. That lad's a natural -sees things quickly and has lovely weight on decked passes. A split second's delay in such a pass can easily lead to the recipient running offside (I think Benty suffered because of this).

On the subject of young lads, if all the players I'm about to mention continue to improve :- Bird/Babos/Elsnik/Guy,then just imagine that we played 3 in midfield in a couple of years time,we could have these 4 plus Jamie and George to pick from. Provided the bolded condition is met,there seems a good deal of dynamism and a fair amount of ability there. I'm also encouraged by other areas in the U23 (and below),and am in no way depressed by the future.Hell,we might even play with 2 natural wingers!

2 hours ago, ramblur said:

I think Jerome thrives on quick,first time balls along the deck,played into space,and I'm not sure I've seen a lot of that so far.If I had to name one player on the club's books best suited to providing that ammo,I'd probably go for Max Bird. That lad's a natural -sees things quickly and has lovely weight on decked passes. A split second's delay in such a pass can easily lead to the recipient running offside (I think Benty suffered because of this).

On the subject of young lads, if all the players I'm about to mention continue to improve :- Bird/Babos/Elsnik/Guy,then just imagine that we played 3 in midfield in a couple of years time,we could have these 4 plus Jamie and George to pick from. Provided the bolded condition is met,there seems a good deal of dynamism and a fair amount of ability there. I'm also encouraged by other areas in the U23 (and below),and am in no way depressed by the future.Hell,we might even play with 2 natural wingers!

It's a lovely thought and if that's truly part of a grand strategy then that's to be applauded and anticipated with some relish.

At the moment we've no idea if there's any substance tho. I cannot recall hearing views from Gary on the current crop of youth so no idea what he's thinking in that direction. 

The only evidence of our eyes are the sorts of players we're bringing in and youth/future potential does not generally seem to feature highly in the thinking.

Wonder where we're scouting. ..will we be linked with some creaking wantaway baggies in the summer when the inevitable drop happens? We seem to be that unimaginative :lol:

10 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

You pair going to come back at him with your opinions/facts to rebut his claims or are you going to make silly comments that add nothing to the debate? 

Its a fans forum for fans to discuss and debate opinion. Not for fans to make snarky comments rather than constructively building an argument against the original poster. 

I don’t agree with everything he has said but when I reply I’ll add to the conversation I won’t just dismiss it because it goes against some of my opinions... 

yeah go on then. Nobody is happy that we've not won, we've lost a couple, have hit a wall or have found ourselves in abit of a slump, but its those kind of reactionary statements that spark off another spiral of mard after mard and thread after thread of wannabe foot ball managers saying what should or shouldnt have happened despite having very little information to back it up. "Shoud have, would have, could have, i would have done it better, its obvious for EVERYONE to see but our manager" is all i got from the start of the thread so..... as much as Ram 8 is entitled to their opinion. so am I, and im ******* bored of reading people going over the top. moaning on.  we're in the top 6, for whatever reason, we're not looking in great shape however, but come on, are we really going to go back to threads on Martin and Hughes?  theyre not helpful, their divisive, so i wrote ......" get over yourself", maybe it was abit dismissive, but i havent got time to reply to every strop who fancies rehashing the same arguments. but i take your point IlsonDerby. maybe i was abit dismissive. Really bored of this self entitlement now, especially as i find it entirely counter productive. 

16 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

You ever consider the manager might know a thing or two About tactics more than you, a fan on a football forum? If you honestly think you could have done a better job with the squad and resources available then you’re seriously deluded.

I’m pretty sure Rowett has noticed the chasm in midfield, hence links with the likes of Ryan woods, but we simply don’t have the funds to sort it out, so he’s implemented a style of play with Huddlestone distributing to wingers making runs, which worked for a while and still is to an extent attacking wise. Do you really think Martin would come in and stop Forsyth and Keogh gifting goals to the opposition? Cause we’re scoring enough goals, and it’s not like he’s gonna be any better in our pressing style of play. To get the best out of Martin we’d need a whole new midfield, putting him in there as it stands would improve nothing, and probably worsen matters imo.

Can't we plug that gap with Palmer.  Wasn't at the game on Saturday but it appears the majority agreed that things improved once he came on.  I agree with @Ram8 that we do struggle to control the game through the middle because Vydra isn't a No10 that dictates play, he isn't a Mata or a De Bruyne, he's more of a Hazard, without the constant scheming dribbles.  He's been very effective in some games, but when we need to get hold of the ball and work our way to the box, he's lacking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully behind GR, and I'm convinced that in time, he'll lead us to the promised land of scrapping for 40pts every season, but a few tweeks in our approach wouldn't hurt.  As for Martin improving things within the current team set up :lol: :lol: :lol: that's just daft...

Sith Happens
28 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Can't we plug that gap with Palmer.  Wasn't at the game on Saturday but it appears the majority agreed that things improved once he came on.  I agree with @Ram8 that we do struggle to control the game through the middle because Vydra isn't a No10 that dictates play, he isn't a Mata or a De Bruyne, he's more of a Hazard, without the constant scheming dribbles.  He's been very effective in some games, but when we need to get hold of the ball and work our way to the box, he's lacking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully behind GR, and I'm convinced that in time, he'll lead us to the promised land of scrapping for 12 points next season, but a few tweeks in our approach wouldn't hurt.  As for Martin improving things within the current team set up :lol: :lol: :lol: that's just daft...

Ftfy

19 hours ago, Ram8 said:

I feel, very strongly, that we would be in a MUCH BETTER position if we were now playing Chris Martin regularly, and a MUCH, MUCH BETTER position, particularly if Rowett had also appreciated Will Hughes, and / or given Elsnick his first team chance .. 

But his one dimensional tactical thinking, that we got away with for a while, has now started to show his serious limitations as a manager, and if Mel Morris  starts to tot up the costly mistakes and seriously flawed assessments of ‘player values’ to the club that Rowett has promoted, then he may (justifiably in my view) bring out the axe again, and look to introduce the ‘Derby Way’ once again, under another manager, because that is the only way that we will get out of this division AND succeed in the Premiership ! 

Possibly his most serious tactical mistake is to neglect the yawning chasm of empty space between Tom Huddlestone / George Thorne and Vydra; because Vydra is NOT a ‘traditional’ linking No. 10 (like Norwich’s Maddison or Fulham’s Cairney), and, despite his valuable goals, cannot be expected to play immediately behind our No. 9, AND be that ‘scheming’ link man ! 

The unfortunate result of this ‘wide open space’ policy is the tactic of having Huddlestone limit himself to launching long balls to wingmen who have not got either the pace or acumen to take them on the run and deliver dangerous crosses .. he (and Thorne) should be alternating this tactic with giving short, accurate balls to (should have been) Hughes or Elsnick ..

I (and to be fair) some other supporters on this Forum, can see this so clearly, why cannot our well paid professional manager ? 

You are Steve Mcclaren and i claim my 5 pounds. 

13 hours ago, Simsy said:

He has scored 1/3 of the goals nugent has and nugent has scored 1/3 of what vydra has.

He's gone he's past it get over it. He didn't take his chances under GR and he's not the first manager to offload him.

Rowett is a great manager let's just trust him.

Whatever happened to the previous manager that offloaded him ?

And GR a great manager?? What evidence is there of that?

GR has made mistakes ,and I am sure on reflection would aknowledge some of them .I have misgivings about the timing of substitute s being brought into the game and the inability to change tactics during the game.

No one here is privy to anything behind the scene, players attitude, fitness levels, injuries,morale and so any comments made by us can only be of a personal opinion without all the underlying facts. Only GR has that information available to him and has to make an informed decision to the best of his ability, and yes some times he will get it wrong,just like Arsen ,Mourinio,benitez and any other manager.

Chris Martin as far as I am aware ( personal opinion) could have stayed at the club and fight for his place, but didnt ! Probably many reasons why he didnt . Would it have changed anything result wise? Probably not.

Its all very easy to point fingers ,winge and complain. Its even easier after the event to have an opinion.

Form has dipped,theirs no denying, Nugents off the boil, Thorne and Ledley have suffered injuries,JR decided to leave abruptly. These things happen in football and unless you are the likes of Man city,Barcelona you have to bite the bullet and get on with what you have.

We are at the right end of the table,,exceeding most expectations from the start of the season ,considering the number of managers we have had in recent years and the players each one has brought in, its easy to criticise the squad but these arent all GR players.

Now is not the time to be ripping the manager,players or club but to be getting behind them trying to push them forward.

At the seasons end we can all sumise where we are and what needs to be done to improve.

20 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

GR has made mistakes ,and I am sure on reflection would aknowledge some of them .I have misgivings about the timing of substitute s being brought into the game and the inability to change tactics during the game.

No one here is privy to anything behind the scene, players attitude, fitness levels, injuries,morale and so any comments made by us can only be of a personal opinion without all the underlying facts. Only GR has that information available to him and has to make an informed decision to the best of his ability, and yes some times he will get it wrong,just like Arsen ,Mourinio,benitez and any other manager.

Chris Martin as far as I am aware ( personal opinion) could have stayed at the club and fight for his place, but didnt ! Probably many reasons why he didnt . Would it have changed anything result wise? Probably not.

Its all very easy to point fingers ,winge and complain. Its even easier after the event to have an opinion.

Form has dipped,theirs no denying, Nugents off the boil, Thorne and Ledley have suffered injuries,JR decided to leave abruptly. These things happen in football and unless you are the likes of Man city,Barcelona you have to bite the bullet and get on with what you have.

We are at the right end of the table,,exceeding most expectations from the start of the season ,considering the number of managers we have had in recent years and the players each one has brought in, its easy to criticise the squad but these arent all GR players.

Now is not the time to be ripping the manager,players or club but to be getting behind them trying to push them forward.

At the seasons end we can all sumise where we are and what needs to be done to improve.

Please stop talking sense I don't come on here to hear it ?

The original poster wrote a large piece and stated Vydra was being played in the wrong position. Sorry, but for me, the biggest bright spark this season has been Vydra. Let's focus on the aspects around him not quite pulling their weight.

The loss of Winnall has been for me the biggest issue. When Vyds dried up on the goals, Winnall would have been the natural replacement for goals. Jerome and Nugent for all their skills and abilities, sticking the ball in the net isn't one of them.

i got too excited about a free season ticket next year and forgot about reality for a bit. Teams around us strengthened in January, we didn't, and coupled with Fulham who are in a great run maintaining top six with the 'limit' options to us is our aim.

i just worry that when first teasers like Russell go for £250k, it's a heck of a lot more expensive to replace them. We need 4-5 players minimum, better than what we have today, to sustain a top two position over a season. That's 20-30 million which we don't have.

So Lets all have that reality check.

Wasn't long ago when fans would be happy with being in the play-offs. What are fans seriously expecting? Crushing every opponent? 

I'm surprised we're doing as well as we are. I'd hate to think how our fans would react if we were in Sunderland's position.... 

1 hour ago, DC-1975 said:

As for being better off with Martin and Hughes in the team, maybe Rowett looked at Clough, McClaren x2, Clement, Wassall and Pearson who all had the use of these players and are now either out of work or managing at a lower level. 

I dont want want to knock those players because I enjoyed watching both of them, but in the time they've been at Derby Nugent, Jerome, Huddlestone, Davies and Johnson have all played for teams who have been promoted (some more than once).

Yes because they chose to stay at Derby to try and get promotion. Except Martin and Butters the others have gone on to better things, we get left with the old has beens.

Just now, DC-1975 said:

As for old has beens, did that apply to Dave Mackay and Paul McGrath?

I think Huddlestone and Davies have been two of the better players this season.

Lol. Hudds and Davies the new Mackay and McGrath? In your dreams only.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Exactly we've got the new old Rava's! :lol:

Noticed you post more smiley imogies now derby have hit a bit of less impressive form results wise , still we are all different and find pleasure in different ways , me I smile more when derby are winning 

15 minutes ago, archied said:

Noticed you post more smiley imogies now derby have hit a bit of less impressive form results wise , still we are all different and find pleasure in different ways , me I smile more when derby are winning 

I ain't smiling I'm laughing, saves crying at how things are!

Archived