Are we good enough is it just a blip

Said at the start of the season we have a mid table squad and I stand by that. Other teams have spent much more than us and have much better players. I’m presuming it’s the ffp restrictions that have hit us but imo there are at least 6 better teams than us. That’s not to say this ain’t an abysmal run of form regardless however, you have to hope it will end soon, surely we can’t go the rest of the season in this vain? We’ve got enough quality for thta not to happen 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squad isnt good enough simples. Jerome not strengthened the squad in my opinion,Departure of JR with all his faults has left a hole to fill. Lawrence not nearly clinical or accurate enough and certainly not attaining the performance levels achieved at Ipswich. Defensively we have began to crumble as quick as the Berlin wall. Vydra  dispite his efforts appears to have lost his clinical finishing,Nugent definatley off the boil as is Ledley and Thorne since there trip to Dubai.

GR too slow to make changes during games,several seasons ago we had the likes of Bamford and ,IBI who were real quality at this level. A very poor Jan transfer window for us and when we should be improving game on game we appear to have lost any kind of momentum. Unlike Fulham ,Middlesbrough' ,Villa, and Preston

Is it a blip? I would suggest we have found our present level and will do well to achieve play offs unless the mentality of the team changes.

5 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I can't understand why he couldn't see the season out with us.

As do I - even if just for old time's sake.

He must have been seriously p****d off with us for whatever reason - and I'm not calling Gary Rowett out as I don't know anything at all. 

But it's sad nonetheless - even though he got plenty of criticism that infectious cheeky energy he could produce is missing at the moment :(

Our fluid forward four (whoever is playing) seriously lack a trick and creativity ... in truth only Palmer offers that . 

The midfield system lacks energy and every one of the options is painfully short of pace . A genuine creative player to compliment Huddlestone essential .

At the back our full backs are a strange mix . Wisdom seems not to have improved since the loan season ...Baird is 36 and the left backs are simply not good enough . 

All in all some room for our returning under 23s to bring energy pace and creativity for next season's promotion push . 

6 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

As do I - even if just for old time's sake.

He must have been seriously p****d off with us for whatever reason - and I'm not calling Gary Rowett out as I don't know anything at all. 

But it's sad nonetheless - even though he got plenty of criticism that infectious cheeky energy he could produce is missing at the moment :(

Something made him go. I doubt it was GR though. There have been the old non football reasons rumoured but we'll never know.

PistoldPete2
32 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Does rowett or any of us know what our best 11 is yet? 

No. We seem to flip flop between full backs. Wisdom for Baird was enforced today. Fozzy did well but wisdom not very good especially going forward. Also midfield .. Maybe thorne was thought to be fit but he didn't seem it. Ledley and Johnson out of favour. We don't really have much variety in midfield and a total lack of pace there. The striker position also not working at the moment with nuge and Jerome out of form. Then there's lawrence and weimannn not doing enough. Can Rowett make it click again. He needs to otherwise we will be out of the top six soon. 

9 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

Our fluid forward four (whoever is playing) seriously lack a trick and creativity ... in truth only Palmer offers that . 

The midfield system lacks energy and every one of the options is painfully short of pace . A genuine creative player to compliment Huddlestone essential .

At the back our full backs are a strange mix . Wisdom seems not to have improved since the loan season ...Baird is 36 and the left backs are simply not good enough . 

All in all some room for our returning under 23s to bring energy pace and creativity for next season's promotion push . 

Bravo - I'd forgotten I'd written something about this a while ago. I've been so spooked about the return of butters, blackman and Chrissy M I'd completely overlooked these guys. 

The futures bright! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Doodle said:

On the 1 st of Jan we were good enough on the 31 st of Jan we were not. Other teams strengthened and addressed their deficiencies. We however ignored ours and actually weakened our squad significantly, albeit with an injury to Winnall. I doubt very much this was Rowetts idea. More likely a consequence of past seasons follies. Rowett’s frailties are now showing, but please, please Mel don’t sack him. If he learns ( which he doesn’t seem to) from his ludicrous team selections and rigid tactics, we are more than capable of getting in the play offs though 

What?! This makes Rowett seem like the poor manager he is, but don't sack him because he might get lucky again?

Russel went because he was out of contract in the summer, and had a move lined up to the MLS but couldn’t sign until the end of the season (although I do think a pre contract agreement can be signed if I’m not mistaken)

Rowett wanted a team all playing for the club and each other, not possibly pulling out of tackles in case of injuries and threatening a move to the MLS. Therefore a decision was made to take a nominal fee and let him go early.

Maybe the lad from Everton was a replacement? Or the guy we have from Chelsea?

I do think that some fans are remembering a Johnny Russell who scored a blinder against Forest though, and not perhaps one who frustrated fans quite a lot of the time though.

But, I will say this, he was a great impact sub. Do we have one at the minute?

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Russel went because he was out of contract in the summer, and had a move lined up to the MLS but couldn’t sign until the end of the season (although I do think a pre contract agreement can be signed if I’m not mistaken)

Rowett wanted a team all playing for the club and each other, not possibly pulling out of tackles in case of injuries and threatening a move to the MLS. Therefore a decision was made to take a nominal fee and let him go early.

Maybe the lad from Everton was a replacement? Or the guy we have from Chelsea?

I do think that some fans are remembering a Johnny Russell who scored a blinder against Forest though, and not perhaps one who frustrated fans quite a lot of the time though.

But, I will say this, he was a great impact sub. Do we have one at the minute?

one difference with Russell was that he put more into games than most in fact even in his last game against Bristol city he was our best player but yes he wanted to leave but shouldn’t have been allowed to until a replacement of a good enough standard had been secured and signed

you are correct we have no real impact type of sub anymore, we are stuck with Jerome and nugent who miss more than they score and the wide players of Lawrence (who really doesn’t track back in any effective way) and wieman who try’s hard but hardly achieves much (and this has been his best season for us) we lack a real spark

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

What?! This makes Rowett seem like the poor manager he is, but don't sack him because he might get lucky again?

I don’t want him to avoid the sack because he’s good. I want to avoid the sack because we’ve been there, done that. We need to rid ourselves of stupid money signings then go again. I thought next season, but others with more FFP knowledge say the season after. I think Mel may have realised giving him money will be a waste. Let’s get on a even keel, then get someone good in 

Do the old timers in the squad want to go up? One more pay day in the championship or get replaced in the premiership? Just a thought...........

5 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Do the old timers in the squad want to go up? One more pay day in the championship or get replaced in the premiership? Just a thought...........

I remember that in the 2014 promotion campaign there was a hefty promotion bonus at stake....I'd be confident that they would all do very well out of it this time around.

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I remember that in the 2014 promotion campaign there was a hefty promotion bonus at stake....I'd be confident that they would all do very well out of it this time around.

Yeah probably to be fair, just seems to comfortable at the mo 

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

We saw Mel spouting this stuff at the the Supporters Charter - aka An Audience with Mel Morris but in his last game, the Brentford game, JR didn't look like a player playing safe.

we tried to play hardball over the new contract and ended up losing a game of brinkmanship. Left it too late. Didn't have a replacement in. Got caught with our pants down. 

Archived