Stronger or Weaker

therealhantsram

Stronger or Weaker  

284 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Weaker when others around are getting stronger. However let's see what happens we have an experienced squad (let's just hope they stay fit)....what makes me laugh now though is, we all know who this kid from Chelsea is "ah yeah him, he's dead good, great addition" I have absolutely no clue who he is?!!?! Could have been in goal on Sunday for Spondon Rovers for all I know :D

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are stronger in some ways and maybe a fraction weaker in others

in terms of autos I don’t think too much has changed and by that I mean I think we will have to over achieve a bit to get top two ,, but I think that’s been the case since the start of the season and we are currently second ,, we needed a better winger and again I think that was the case all along as although I liked Johnny we really could have done with an upgrade whilst I believe anja can do a very similar job to Johnny and is similar quality ,

jerome is a striking option rowett feels he can play where as he didn’t feel that with Martin ,whatever your feelings on that rowett has to pick the team and make the substitutions so Jerome strengthens us in rowett s mind ,

when all said and done we are trimming and building sensibly and in a more sustainable way than the last few years and much as I want big money excitement transfers ( like most of us) I need to get sensible ,all this is being done in a bit of a clough junior fashion but with the added bonus of achieving results that are keeping us in the mix at the top ,

villa are the massive competition for second as we kind of knew they would be ,,they have parachute money and spend freely ,

i would have taken a tilt at second spot and play off place at start of season so I’m not going to get too down over this window

8 hours ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Seems like we banked on signing Lookman, then panicked and got Palmer to shoehorn him on the wing. 

Happy to be proved wrong, but I think we've weakened.

Maybe, just maybe, Palmer wasn't a panic buy but instead he was always on the list of contingencies in case we couldn't get Lookman (I'm assuming you're right and Lookman was our number one target). 

Stronger of course , if we are closer to getting the team that GR seems fit too compete and play the way we want to play then how are we weaker ? 

I know many of us , myself included got excited when Grosicki was linked with us at the 11th hour but it wasn' to be. They paid £7million for him and he's there best player, it was optimistic in real terms.

Martin was done here , good player and a good servant to the club but he was done we need to job at real about it. Let's give someone else a go. 

Russell didn't want to be here and as a fan I only ever want players playing for our club that want to be here, we will still be here having these same discussions in 20 years. 

Palmer , honestly I didn't know a lot about but watching his highlight reels (yes I know) he looks quick and skilful , something we have probably been missing in the final third. 

In regards to our squad, we are a little weaker and more unbalanced. However with relation to rivals for Auto’s we are definitely  weaker, as we are against play off and potential play off teams. I think we still have enough for 2 nd, but think it’s unlikely. We certainly have enough for play offs. But the odd injury/ suspension or loss of form will see us start to tumble. Fingers crossed for the former. 

7 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Stronger of course , if we are closer to getting the team that GR seems fit too compete and play the way we want to play then how are we weaker ? 

I know many of us , myself included got excited when Grosicki was linked with us at the 11th hour but it wasn' to be. They paid £7million for him and he's there best player, it was optimistic in real terms.

Martin was done here , good player and a good servant to the club but he was done we need to job at real about it. Let's give someone else a go. 

Russell didn't want to be here and as a fan I only ever want players playing for our club that want to be here, we will still be here having these same discussions in 20 years. 

Palmer , honestly I didn't know a lot about but watching his highlight reels (yes I know) he looks quick and skilful , something we have probably been missing in the final third. 

We haven’t got any nearer the team Gary wanted. He wanted Lookman and as a second choice, the Hull lad. He got neither. Palmer I feel will be very useful at this level, but like Ibe will need to develop. Ibe was average when he arrived and very good when he left. My fear is by the time Palmer is good playing wide, the seasons end will arrive 

For me we are weaker but we will see

losing first team starter Russell is a big blow and remember we apparently tried to extend his stay and he never played like he wanted to leave

losing Martin who contributed from the bench mainly will be intresting and hopefully balanced by Jerome but we will see.

all the other departures weren’t really involved so fair enough

palmer really looks like a last minute we need someone anyone type of signing and will be expensive I suspect in money terms

the goalkeeper issue was not desperate as we still have Roos and he is decent

i was confident of a automatic spot but not so anymore as we seem to lack spark in certain ways but we should be comfortable for the lottery play offs where the reality of all those loan players would be back apart from those involved in actual play offs themselves and we would then have some huge options.

i think we have had two very poor last 48 hours of each transfer window this season in terms of getting who was wanted

About the same depending on how the Chelski-lad fits in...

Anya and Russell are about the same level IMO, so no changes there. I quite like Jerome even though he is not as good as Martin. Definitely fits better tho, so no radical changes in a striker department. It all comes down to the panic signing, can he make the difference? We can only gain! Someone said he looks like poor man's Will Hughes? If so, it's a masterstroke, we are much stronger and as good as promoted.

If we look the bigger picture (I know it's almost impossible to most of the fans...) it's been a very good window. Lot's of youngsters going out to get first-team football. Those who are not wanted by the current regime, are out on loan too. It's all good financially, which is bound to help in the future.

Ps. and couple bullet dodged with the potential backup keepers. I'm totally fine with Roos over Steele or Kuzscak.

We’ll be stronger in the summer if we fail to go up this year and have trimmed the top heavy squad for Rowett to continue developing the first team vision he desires. 

We’re weaker if the strategy was panic buy after being shafted by an Everton starlet and overpay on players. Lucky it’s not and it looks like we’ve learnt. 

I would add to my earlier post, that I am very surprised that we didn't go out and try to bring in a couple of Premier League quality signings that would have given is that bit of extra quality needed to get over the line.  It's not that I necessarily think we aren't good enough, but we have had to grind out a lot of results and 0-0 can often easily be 0-1.  I also love signing new players - for me, it just makes the footy more interesting when you go along and have the intrigue of seeing somebody you've not seen before.  Also quite jealous of what some other teams have been doing.  Again, recognise we are in second place and no need to panic buy or disrupt things.  Not sure our chances of promotion are diminished significantly either,  but I am a little bit disappointed nonetheless.

12 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

About the same depending on how the Chelski-lad fits in...

Anya and Russell are about the same level IMO, so no changes there. I quite like Jerome even though he is not as good as Martin. Definitely fits better tho, so no radical changes in a striker department. It all comes down to the panic signing, can he make the difference? We can only gain! Someone said he looks like poor man's Will Hughes? If so, it's a masterstroke, we are much stronger and as good as promoted.

If we look the bigger picture (I know it's almost impossible to most of the fans...) it's been a very good window. Lot's of youngsters going out to get first-team football. Those who are not wanted by the current regime, are out on loan too. It's all good financially, which is bound to help in the future.

Ps. and couple bullet dodged with the potential backup keepers. I'm totally fine with Roos over Steele or Kuzscak.

Good points. 

CJ is definitely a better option than CM in this current system. 

Like Nuge his a bugger to play against. He’ll stretch defences and make room for Vydra and Lawrence. 

The Anya situation is a story in the making. In from the cold and will hopefully have a great end to the season. 

Fingers crossed for Palmer. He’ll get game time so I just hope he’s got quality. His passing game looks alright and he can run at defenders too. 

1 minute ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Good points. 

CJ is definitely a better option than CM in this current system. 

Like Nuge his a bugger to play against. He’ll stretch defences and make room for Vydra and Lawrence. 

The Anya situation is a story in the making. In from the cold and will hopefully have a great end to the season. 

Fingers crossed for Palmer. He’ll get game time so I just hope he’s got quality. His passing game looks alright and he can run at defenders too. 

But Anya isn’t good enough. 

5 minutes ago, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

I think Anya can and will do a job! So I’m not concerned about the wings. 

His recent performances for the U23s have been good and he looked sharp at Millwall on Saturday. I think (and hope) that Rowett has been working his magic on him in the same way that he did with Vydra and Weimann.

The team is in 2nd place and we are still moaning that certain players are underperforming! Let's just keep the faith with GR, get behind the team and see where we end up. Even if we don't go up, our talented youngsters will return from their loans better equipped for another promotion push next year and if we do, who's complaining?

Archived