Sneaking up the Table

irobinson

I spy Villa and Fulham sneaking up the table - and I worry about them two - especially vIlla for second place

i think both will gate crash playoffs or better

i think Blades and Bristol will falter

well done Rams today - another clean sheet and a great result -can’t ask for any more. so pleased the way this season is planning out - let’s do it!!!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The play-off places are still wide open. Even Norwich in 13th place still have a realistic chance of getting in the play-offs. Our game against Bristol City on Friday is a 6 pointer. They have one eye on the League Cup second leg against Man City and really need to get something out of the game against us.

It looks like Villa are the biggest threat to second place. However they still effectively have to win two more games than us over the last 19. I hope it will be academic by the time we play them away in the penultimate game of the season.

8 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Fulham were lucky the ref gifted them the game

Boro's finishing was poor but the ref's decision not to give a blatant penalty in the first half was inexcusable. Pulis was remarkably calm given that his chances of getting them into the top 6 had just taken a big dent.

1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

Boro's finishing was poor but the ref's decision not to give a blatant penalty in the first half was inexcusable. Pulis was remarkably calm given that his chances of getting them into the top 6 had just taken a big dent.

Both 'penalty' decisions were awful.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

How big a match does Villa away in the penultimate match of the season look?

Looks a real hum dinger of a game but if we can continue our blistering form then hopefully we're out of sight by then. However that's a long way in the future and I don't wanna tempt fate by predicting we will be. Just glad we secured our championship status yesterday by getting through the 50pts barrier.

18 minutes ago, sage said:

How big a match does Villa away in the penultimate match of the season look?

Will be a very big game for Villa as they bid to cement their play off slot. Meantime we will be on a scouting mission to see if there is any of their players capable of stepping up should they fail :thumbsup:

46 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I would not loan Chris Martin, we’d be mad to! Even in his short cameo yesterday he layed the ball off 3/4 for runners including the 3rd goal. Don’t sell/loan we need different options in the squad 

Could be big for us, we have seen before how injuries can derail our season. He gives us something very different to the others.

10 hours ago, irobinson said:

I spy Villa and Fulham sneaking up the table - and I worry about them two - especially vIlla for second place

i think both will gate crash playoffs or better

i think Blades and Bristol will falter

well done Rams today - another clean sheet and a great result -can’t ask for any more. so pleased the way this season is planning out - let’s do it!!!!

Yes , its true, Villa have some momentum, we know what Fulham are capable of and we should expect at least one or two clubs to get a really good run together.

Personally I'm not worried at all about any other clubs. Its all about what we do , and nothing else. If we look after ourselves, and do the business (especially in the big games against other clubs around us)  then we will be fine. And we will deserve to go up. If we don't, and we slip up, play with fear or try not to lose instead of going for the win, then we will miss out again. And deserve to. 

And frankly, if we are going to get promoted into the Premier and at least compete when we get there, then we need to be doing it with some momentum and with the knowledge that we genuinely are one of the best two teams in the Championship.

Villa have snuck up the table, but three wins on the trot does that in this league. It’s about who can find consistency for the longest period. Wolves started with a bang and have kept it going. We took a while to get going but 42 in 20 games shows we’ve found our stride. If we can keep up that form then we'll be home and dry by April. 

I wouldn’t completely discount Cardiff either. Like Villa, their form dropped off with injuries, but as players come back/get added they could find some form again.

21 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Personally I'm not worried at all about any other clubs. Its all about what we do , and nothing else. If we look after ourselves, and do the business (especially in the big games against other clubs around us)  then we will be fine.

This is it really, we're not going to be given a free run for 2nd place, doesn't matter if it's Villa, Fulham or Burton climbing the table, they will do it as they are in form and will be on your tail waiting for one Gerrard slip.

Last season the gap was 8pts between 2nd and 3rd, 0pts in 15/16, 3pts in 14/15, 8pts in 13/14, 2pts in 12/13. 

Nothing in it at all.

You can look at other clubs fixtures and say these have it easier but we've been here long enough to know that the Championship doesn't run to script.

We have the advantage, just have to go out there and keep doing what we're doing, simple as that......he says.

I’ll bore myself stupid keep trying to re-align expectations, but our progress so far this season has blown all of the ‘targets’ I’d mapped out for Rowett at the start of the campaign. 

Think of what he’s achieved in his first full half season: 

- Squad unity, something we’ve all felt missing over recent seasons. Johnny ‘Scapegoat’ Russell now a world beater with the hunger to tirelessly track back and help our defensive successes. Andi ‘Outcast’ Weimann, again, adding serious impact to the XI whether starting or from the bench.  Matty ‘Most Expensive Flop’ Vydra - incomprehensible return of goals per shot this season, and on course for being the leagues top scorer. This is added value with zero impact on the balance sheet. I could go on... 

- We’re second, SECOND, mid-January. I’d have been elated with play offs before we kicked a ball, especially with the league looking so strong in August. 

- Defensively solid as a rock, with a CB pairing that refuse to be beaten. I’ve lost the ‘we’re going to capitulate under pressure’ feeling. Don’t underestimate how good the coaching has been to turn this corner. 

- Effective and good value signings - Davies, Lawrence, Hudds: all with an obvious rationale for why they were bought and what they bring to GR’s vision. 

- Making the tough decisions to support the long term vision: selling Ince, Hughes (our starlet..), and standing by them, but also openly justifying the thought process to us fans. 

- Top class in the media, I could listen to him for hours. Transparent, analytic and thorough in everything he does.

- Loyal - Stoke? More money? Nah, new contract. 

I could go on, but even if we slide to play offs this year; the club finally have a long term vision, a team we can find commonality with and clearly a manager who aligns to the values of the club and Chairman. So let’s be patient, non-expectant and enjoy the ride. 

Villa get three wins on the bounce after a poor season by their standards and they're now suddenly the biggest threat to us? They lost 3-1 to Peterborough only last week in the cup and just barely beat Forest. Not to mention we beat them not long ago. 

And no mention of Cardiff who are obviously the bigger threat right now.

Let's not spend mental energy fearing others and just focus on what we're doing. 

Archived