Hartlepool troubles

TheresOnlyWanChope

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Davide said:

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/pools-fans-try-to-help-raise-200-000-to-save-club-1-8949049

Quite sad to see a long established club struggling like this.

Articles like these only show the immediate crisis. 

Was fascinated at the history with boro and it's good to see their fans rallying to do the right thing. 

Mel helped a couple of seasons ago by waiving dcfc share of the fa cup 3rd round gate receipts. But 2 seasons on and hartlepool plight looks worse.

Sadly it looks on the face of it  like the business model simply isn't viable in its current form. But you can't really tell without more information. 

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

What a shame that more of the obscene amounts of money in the premier league are not passed down to the football league. They would say why should they as its their product that earns the money but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Exactly what i would have said.

football is awash with money - just doesn't get shared out. 

The f.a. want all the lower league and non-league clubs when it comes to f.a. Cup time, but won't distribute the f.a. Premier league money fairly.

maybe everyone outside the Prem should boycott the f.a. Cup until changes are made?

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

What a shame that more of the obscene amounts of money in the premier league are not passed down to the football league. They would say why should they as its their product that earns the money but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Your so right its disgusting can see us ending up with just an elite top six 

10 hours ago, RamNut said:

The f.a. want all the lower league and non-league clubs when it comes to f.a. Cup time, but won't distribute the f.a. Premier league money fairly.

maybe everyone outside the Prem should boycott the f.a. Cup until changes are made?

The FA wouldn't care if everyone decided to boycott the FA cup. Again it is the premier league teams that bring in the international tv money even for FA cup ties. 

10 hours ago, RamNut said:

I don't think that the FA agree or decide the distribution of PL money. The PL clubs themselves do that as a separate organisation.

The FA do decide the distribution of FA Cup receipts though. I suspect it's quite hard to change in broad terms though easier for someone like Mel in an individual game.

3 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I don't think that the FA agree or decide the distribution of PL money. The PL clubs themselves do that as a separate organisation.

The FA do decide the distribution of FA Cup receipts though. I suspect it's quite hard to change in broad terms though easier for someone like Mel in an individual game.

Its called the F.A. PREMIER League. The f.a. Supported the breakaway of the top clubs,

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Its called the F.A. PREMIER League. The f.a. Supported the breakaway of the top clubs,

Sorry Ramnut but I don't think you're quite right. The whole point of the PL breaking away in 1991 or whenever, was to separate the top clubs from FA and football league jurisdiction. They wanted to control their own finances and in particular the distribution of TV money. In doing so they set up their own league and (still) control all the commercial rights. The FA didn't support it as such but were forced to accept it in the end. 

The PL still plays under the FA rules of the game and accepts its disciplinary sanctions because if they didn't then they would have to 'take on' and possibly leave UEFA and FIFA who are both very wary of the big teams and players operating outside of their control - the FA is affiliated to UEFA and FIFA and therefore clubs in the PL can play in Europe and players can play in the World Cup. The PL also accepts promotion and relegation from the EFL.

The point still is that the FA have no say in the distribution of PL money and never have had. They do decide where the FA cup money goes but have no say in the PL TV money - the distribution of that is decided by the shareholders of the PL ie the 20 clubs in the division.

You could absolutely argue that the FA missed a trick in 1991 by not accepting and embracing the PL becoming, perhaps, a 21st shareholder with an influence and vote, but that particular opportunity has long since sailed. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

With the express intent of making the English national side more competitive.

How's that worked out so far?

9 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

You could absolutely argue that the FA missed a trick in 1991 by not accepting and embracing the PL becoming, perhaps, a 21st shareholder with an influence and vote, but that particular opportunity has long since sailed. 

I think they do have a veto vote on rule changes etc, could be wrong.

Archived