January 2018 transfer thread

ViewsFromTheMiddle

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, David said:

City have walked away from the deal.

Mahrez didnt turn up for training and refused to join up with the squad yesterday trying to push a move through.

Idiot.

37 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

City have walked away from the deal.

Mahrez didnt turn up for training and refused to join up with the squad yesterday trying to push a move through.

Idiot.

Tried being respectful and playing the nice guy in the summer, to be fair. 

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

They find it more appealing playing for a club who are challenging on all fronts. Joining City at 23 you may not be a starter, but you will get plenty of matches and could find yourself a mainstay after a couple of years.

What I find rich is when you suggest players like Bernardo Silva should join an Arsenal before moving on to City and then complaining how much money City have spent and calling Pep a chequebook manager.

You can't have it both ways. If all the potential world class players followed your advice and joined an Arsenal first for a regular first-team spot, then City would have no choice but to buy proven world class players who will be guaranteed a first-team spot. You know, the ones which cost £100m a pop.

Arsenal have just signed Ozil down to a new contract on £350k per week. City's highest earner is on £220k. Arsenal do have the finances to compete with City for any player in the world.

Yes, but the reason why City are in a position to 'challenge on all fronts' at this particular moment in time is because they are consistently the biggest spenders in the league (and have been for some time) and on average they pay their players more than Arsenal and many other clubs do. That's not a complaint, that's just being factual. 

It's fair to say that Arsenal have more financial muscle than they actively wield and could do more to be competitive. But to say they are able to compete with City financially stride-for-stride is one hell of a leap. 

Just because Arsenal's highest earner reportedly earns more than Man City's highest earner doesn't make the two clubs comparable. City are likely to have at least 10-12 players on in excess of £100,000 a week. I imagine it's a very different scenario at Arsenal. There is no way they have increased Ozil's wages without having to make concessions - cue five first team players being moved on in the same month the deal is negotiated.

How can you say the appeal is competing for silverware? Yes, City have won two PL titles in the last six years, but in total they have only won five trophies in the past decade as it stands. Hardly a gold rush in comparison to Arsenal's three. Competing for more silverware is a current factor because Arsenal are not playing CL football and haven't won the league in 14 years, but more money is usually a more prominent factor as to why players join City. 

My whole argument around players like Bernardo Silva and Aymeric Laporte making a mistake in joining City is that they are good enough to play first-team football for a top club and it is a waste of talent to have two players worth a combined £100 million not being considered starters. I see no glory in being a benchwarmer, an expensive footnote in a team's success.

Laporte reportedly turned down a move to City 18 months ago because he was worried about getting first-team opportunities, so this notion of talent being wasted at City is not something that I've just conjured up out of thin air. He started v WBA tonight by virtue of Stones being ill. If he continues to start games, I'll take back everything I said regarding his move. Similarly if Bernardo Silva starts 30 games next season and plays an influential role, I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong.

By and large, players of that ilk should be joining Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal - clubs where they can play regularly and develop further. Joining City is a smart move if you are going to be considered a first-choice player and there is an obvious place for you. Hence why you'll never see me criticise the Kyle Walker deal as he was obviously going to retain his status as first-choice right back upon moving.

For the likes of Bernardo Silva and Laporte, there are no such guarantees and that is a sad reflection of where the £50 million player stands in today's game.

13 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, but the reason why City are in a position to 'challenge on all fronts' at this particular moment in time is because they are consistently the biggest spenders in the league (and have been for some time) and on average they pay their players more than Arsenal and many other clubs do. That's not a complaint, that's just being factual. 

It's fair to say that Arsenal have more financial muscle than they actively wield and could do more to be competitive. But to say they are able to compete with City financially stride-for-stride is one hell of a leap. 

Just because Arsenal's highest earner reportedly earns more than Man City's highest earner doesn't make the two clubs comparable. City are likely to have at least 10-12 players on in excess of £100,000 a week. I imagine it's a very different scenario at Arsenal. There is no way they have increased Ozil's wages without having to make concessions - cue five first team players being moved on in the same month the deal is negotiated.

How can you say the appeal is competing for silverware? Yes, City have won two PL titles in the last six years, but in total they have only won five trophies in the past decade as it stands. Hardly a gold rush in comparison to Arsenal's three. Competing for more silverware is a current factor because Arsenal are not playing CL football and haven't won the league in 14 years, but more money is usually a more prominent factor as to why players join City. 

My whole argument around players like Bernardo Silva and Aymeric Laporte making a mistake in joining City is that they are good enough to play first-team football for a top club and it is a waste of talent to have two players worth a combined £100 million not being considered starters. I see no glory in being a benchwarmer, an expensive footnote in a team's success.

Laporte reportedly turned down a move to City 18 months ago because he was worried about getting first-team opportunities, so this notion of talent being wasted at City is not something that I've just conjured up out of thin air. He started v WBA tonight by virtue of Stones being ill. If he continues to start games, I'll take back everything I said regarding his move. Similarly if Bernardo Silva starts 30 games next season and plays an influential role, I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong.

By and large, players of that ilk should be joining Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal - clubs where they can play regularly and develop further. Joining City is a smart move if you are going to be considered a first-choice player and there is an obvious place for you. Hence why you'll never see me criticise the Kyle Walker deal as he was obviously going to retain his status as first-choice right back upon moving.

For the likes of Bernardo Silva and Laporte, there are no such guarantees and that is a sad reflection of where the £50 million player stands in today's game.

But in today’s game you have a first-team squad, rather than just a first-team.

With the amount of games there are, you rotate your squad to prevent injuries, burnout etc.

Man City are involved in enough games this season to get chances. Bernardo Silva has featured in loads of matches, and Sane’s injury means he will have plenty of starts over the next couple of months.

I don’t understand why a player of that ilk should turn down the chance to play for City to have more starts at say Spurs.

There have been numerous greats over the years who weren’t playing every match. Dennis Bergkamp for instance only ever played in 30+ games in only 2 of his 11 seasons at Arsenal.

Players like Isco don’t start everygame at Madrid. Bayern signed Douglas Costa when they already had Ribery and Robben on the wings. Then they got Coman too!

I think it’s bizarre to suggest a 23-year-old potential world class player should snub City because he’s not guaranteed 40 starts a season. In 2 or 3 years time they can grow into key figures for the club.

Wolves - afobe

derby - palmer

villa - grabban

cardiff - wildschut, madine, ward

fulham - christie, mitrovic

sheff utd - evans, leonard, wilson, 

Bristol city - kent, 

26 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

But in today’s game you have a first-team squad, rather than just a first-team.

With the amount of games there are, you rotate your squad to prevent injuries, burnout etc.

Man City are involved in enough games this season to get chances. Bernardo Silva has featured in loads of matches, and Sane’s injury means he will have plenty of starts over the next couple of months.

I don’t understand why a player of that ilk should turn down the chance to play for City to have more starts at say Spurs.

There have been numerous greats over the years who weren’t playing every match. Dennis Bergkamp for instance only ever played in 30+ games in only 2 of his 11 seasons at Arsenal.

Players like Isco don’t start everygame at Madrid. Bayern signed Douglas Costa when they already had Ribery and Robben on the wings. Then they got Coman too!

I think it’s bizarre to suggest a 23-year-old potential world class player should snub City because he’s not guaranteed 40 starts a season. In 2 or 3 years time they can grow into key figures for the club.

I understand that football is a squad game, but when £50 million only affords you a squad player, something isn't right. The fact that City could have gone out and spent another £60 million on Mahrez and it would have been business as usual tells you everything you need to know about how the club operate.

For me, if I am a key player at one club and playing 40-50 games a season, I wouldn't be in any hurry to move to City. There are more examples of young careers stagnating because they've opted for too much, too soon.  If it were me, I would want to continue playing and continue progressing until I'm considered good enough to warrant more than a place on City's bench.

Of course, Bernardo Silva will take his chance in Sane's absence, but the point is that for a player of his calibre, why not be at a club where that chance is more forthcoming?

If I'm honest, the only club I really admire for how they operate is Spurs. They are producing young talent and giving young players opportunities. It speaks volumes that their worst signings are typically their most expensive ones.

15 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Wolves - afobe

derby - palmer

villa - grabban

cardiff - wildschut, madine, ward

fulham - christie, mitrovic

sheff utd - evans, leonard, wilson, 

Bristol city - kent, 

In the Championship, the best signing was actually not a signing at all, in my opinion.

Keeping hold of Rowett and extending his contract when Stoke's interest emerged was a big statement by us.

Not that I'm a massive fan of Rowett, but losing him could have had much more of an impact than any one transfer might have.

Archived