January 2018 transfer thread

ViewsFromTheMiddle

2 hours ago, iolanthe said:

Now gone to Fulham-undisclosed

The funniest thing is Ryan Shotton has taken his place in the Boro team!

Their fans are going mad at Pulis for not only getting rid of their best player so far this season but replacing him with a centre back! ?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

didn't we have a sell on clause for Christie? Interesting.

Apparently 15%. I’m not sure whether that’s of the overall fee or just the profit. If it’s the profit then we’re only looking at about 75,000. If it’s the total fee then just shy of 500k.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Apparently 15%. I’m not sure whether that’s of the overall fee or just the profit. If it’s the profit then we’re only looking at about 75,000. If it’s the total fee then just shy of 500k.

Money is money though - Can't really complain. Anything is better than nothing

6 hours ago, Mckram said:

The funniest thing is Ryan Shotton has taken his place in the Boro team!

Their fans are going mad at Pulis for not only getting rid of their best player so far this season but replacing him with a centre back! ?

I was told by a Boro fan in the family that Christie was having a good season. So a bit surprised at his sale.

Did he get dropped as soon as Pulis came in the door? anyone know?

it woldnt surprise me.

Pulis i imagine would want full backs who can defend ahead of any attacking wing backs.

As for Shotton... hes obviously a lot better than we saw at Derby, and it didnt help he was here at a time when we gave our defences zero protection in the central midfield and full back positions.

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I understand that football is a squad game, but when £50 million only affords you a squad player, something isn't right. The fact that City could have gone out and spent another £60 million on Mahrez and it would have been business as usual tells you everything you need to know about how the club operate.

For me, if I am a key player at one club and playing 40-50 games a season, I wouldn't be in any hurry to move to City. There are more examples of young careers stagnating because they've opted for too much, too soon.  If it were me, I would want to continue playing and continue progressing until I'm considered good enough to warrant more than a place on City's bench.

Of course, Bernardo Silva will take his chance in Sane's absence, but the point is that for a player of his calibre, why not be at a club where that chance is more forthcoming?

If I'm honest, the only club I really admire for how they operate is Spurs. They are producing young talent and giving young players opportunities. It speaks volumes that their worst signings are typically their most expensive ones.

everything wrong with the b@st4rd animal that is the EPL.

As a league, the clubs have no morality or duty to bring on home grown players, or indeed any players. Foreign ownership across the board, no respect for  or allegience to the country they are operating in. Player farming is rife, because its all just business. Young players dont get a chance to get near the first team, so inevitable they get moved on.. then sometimes if they were any good, and they do well in a league outside the EPL, then the same EPL teams go back in for them for 50 odd million. The new TV deal should have meant clubs running at profits, an end to 85% turnover on player wages, improvment in stadium facilities, pay above the national livign wage for club employees not involved int he playing side etc etc ect.  All its actually done is inflate the market and demonstrate what we think we always knew, Players and their agents are running the hame for themselves and earning obsence amounts of money in a world where its austerity everywhere, homeless numbers are up, food banks, no increase in wages across the country in 8 years or whatever it is.

The money distribution across the whole league is great and also a killer all at the same time.

Yes it means you get greater competition, there are now 6 teams that can realistically win the league instead of just 2 (or sometimes 1) in other leagues in europe (where individual clubs agree their TV deals).

But that in turn means the entire league screws up the market for any other league across europe, and of course for the championship.

15 million for McClean!??!?! - Do me a favour!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

I was told by a Boro fan in the family that Christie was having a good season. So a bit surprised at his sale.

Did he get dropped as soon as Pulis came in the door? anyone know?

it woldnt surprise me.

Pulis i imagine would want full backs who can defend ahead of any attacking wing backs.

As for Shotton... hes obviously a lot better than we saw at Derby, and it didnt help he was here at a time when we gave our defences zero protection in the central midfield and full back positions.

I always thought Shotton got a hard time here

Bucko was roasted time and time again by fast strikers in 13/14 so we signed Shotts to try and cope with that

13 hours ago, Jourdan said:

What has been the best deal in the window for you?

For me, Lucas Moura signing for Spurs for £23 million.

If Pochettino can have the same effect on him as he has on other Spurs players, he'll be a joy to watch.

Yeah, that looks like a great deal. 

13 hours ago, Jourdan said:

In the Championship, the best signing was actually not a signing at all, in my opinion.

Keeping hold of Rowett and extending his contract when Stoke's interest emerged was a big statement by us.

Not that I'm a massive fan of Rowett, but losing him could have had much more of an impact than any one transfer might have.

Fulham pricing everyone out of signing Cairney looks to be a great piece of business for them. With Mitrovic adding ranks uptop, they really do have the tools to go on and challenge for that 2nd auto spot.

Archived