January 2018 transfer thread

ViewsFromTheMiddle

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Sun:

Palace have had an offer of £8m accepted for Preston's Hugill. He's out of contract at the end of the season...

There's that classic overpriced player in Jan. Decent player no doubt, but surely he won't be the answer to all of their problems in front of goal

Aubameyang at Arsenal's training ground, looks like that one is finally happening. Can't understand why they didn't do this in the summer and move Sanchez, Walcott, Giroud on. 

Pressure is on now, to not make it into Europe and see Spurs qualify would send the fans potty.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Aubameyang at Arsenal's training ground, looks like that one is finally happening. Can't understand why they didn't do this in the summer and move Sanchez, Walcott, Giroud on. 

Pressure is on now, to not make it into Europe and see Spurs qualify would send the fans potty.

Arsenal fans? Surely not 

Arsenal have left it way too late. Why weren't the splashing £60m on Aubameyang like two years ago when they were looking to build on what looked at the time a promsing squad of players with Ozil and Alexis Sanchez.

Why wait until now when the club have fallen way behind their rivals, and the player is now late 20s. Smacks of desperation.

Arsenal should have a major rebuild. Accept where they are, and target quality players who are early 20s.

Similar to what City are doing now. Arsenal should have been the ones targeting the likes of Mendy, Silva, Sane, Jesus etc.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Riyad Mahrez felt left out this window so handed in a transfer request, Man City said to be interested due to Sane's injury. He's out for 6 weeks.

Wasn't the transfer request in the summer?

Jesus can play out wide, but as he's injured too, City only have Sterling and Bernardo Silva (who is more of a central player) as their only genuine wide options at present. It wouldn't surprise me if they consider bringing in another one.

I think Mahrez is overrated though. I don't see a potential world class player there, so £50m for me is way too much.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Wasn't the transfer request in the summer?

Jesus can play out wide, but as he's injured too, City only have Sterling and Bernardo Silva (who is more of a central player) as their only genuine wide options at present. It wouldn't surprise me if they consider bringing in another one.

I think Mahrez is overrated though. I don't see a potential world class player there, so £50m for me is way too much.

I've defended City pretty much all season. Even the Laporte signing made sense for me.

But I won't defend them if they go out and buy Mahrez for like £60m. I think that would be a ridiculous sum of money for a player who I wouldn't ever consider near world class ability.

He's no doubt a top player. But he's not on Sane's level and they got him for much cheaper and much younger.

41 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Arsenal have left it way too late. Why weren't the splashing £60m on Aubameyang like two years ago when they were looking to build on what looked at the time a promsing squad of players with Ozil and Alexis Sanchez.

Why wait until now when the club have fallen way behind their rivals, and the player is now late 20s. Smacks of desperation.

Arsenal should have a major rebuild. Accept where they are, and target quality players who are early 20s.

Similar to what City are doing now. Arsenal should have been the ones targeting the likes of Mendy, Silva, Sane, Jesus etc.

I was nodding along with this, right up until you made it all about Cit-eh & Guru Pep, then my eyes rolled all the  way back into my head...

Just now, ramsbottom said:

I was nodding along with this, right up until you made it all about Cit-eh & Guru Pep, then my eyes rolled all the back into my head...

Well I could have used Spurs as the example. The only reason I didn't is because surely Arsenal have more financial pull and player pull than Spurs did when they started to target younger players.

Spurs have made some great signings over the years with Dele, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dier etc. But they've also made numerous signings (especially from the Bale money) which didn't come off.

Spurs had to gamble more because they were targetting younger players which were relatively unknown at the time. Arsenal surely have the financial pull to target genuine top quality youngsters with renowned world class potential.

There isn't a single player on City's books (or signed in the past three years) that Arsenal couldn't have afforded. So it amazes me why they aren't building for the future and instead are bringing in players for the short-term.

Amazingly, if Arsenal win the Europa League (and the Carabao Cup), the dissenting voices will be hushed. Arsenal fans are very fickle.

While Aubameyang is a fantastic addition and should score plenty of goals, it's not really about what they do in this transfer window, it's about what happens in the summer.

It will be a massive window for them and if they get it right, they will bridge the gap to the teams above them, as everyone starts on zero.

They need a whole new spine in the team - a goalkeeper, two centre backs and two central midfielders. Until that happens, they will still be viewed with uncertainty.

The reason why they have signed Aubameyang is that it's a statement signing - to cushion the blow of losing Sanchez and to perhaps convince Ozil to stay.

It's rich that Bris says that Arsenal should be targeting top young players. It's easier said than done when many of these same top young players find it more appealing to be a substitute and an also ran for City (and probably on a better wage) than a star for Arsenal.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Amazingly, if Arsenal win the Europa League (and the Carabao Cup), the dissenting voices will be hushed. Arsenal fans are very fickle.

While Aubameyang is a fantastic addition and should score plenty of goals, it's not really about what they do in this transfer window, it's about what happens in the summer.

It will be a massive window for them and if they get it right, they will bridge the gap to the teams above them, as everyone starts on zero.

They need a whole new spine in the team - a goalkeeper, two centre backs and two central midfielders. Until that happens, they will still be viewed with uncertainty.

The reason why they have signed Aubameyang is that it's a statement signing - to cushion the blow of losing Sanchez and to perhaps convince Ozil to stay.

It's rich that Bris says that Arsenal should be targeting top young players. It's easier said than done when many of these same top young players find it more appealing to be a substitute and an also ran for City (and probably on a better wage) than a star for Arsenal.

They find it more appealing playing for a club who are challenging on all fronts. Joining City at 23 you may not be a starter, but you will get plenty of matches and could find yourself a mainstay after a couple of years.

What I find rich is when you suggest players like Bernardo Silva should join an Arsenal before moving on to City and then complaining how much money City have spent and calling Pep a chequebook manager.

You can't have it both ways. If all the potential world class players followed your advice and joined an Arsenal first for a regular first-team spot, then City would have no choice but to buy proven world class players who will be guaranteed a first-team spot. You know, the ones which cost £100m a pop.

Arsenal have just signed Ozil down to a new contract on £350k per week. City's highest earner is on £220k. Arsenal do have the finances to compete with City for any player in the world.

Archived