Manchester United F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

1 minute ago, curtains said:

IMO 

Bennett and Hanson are being played because they came through the academy. 

Neither are good enough yet Chris Martin a proven International who has served this Club well is denied the chance of coming on at Old Trafford and a loanee who Sam Winnall is preferred.

I think they’re useful squad players. I doubt Hanson will become more than that. I hold a slim hope Bennett can be, based on his earlier season performances. I mean it took him 2 touches last night to beat their make shift £30m right back and win a dangerous free kick. 

Agree Martin should have been the one to replace winnall if winnall was to come off as we were left with no focal point up top after winnall went off.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Norman said:

Carragher said this when Man City played Newcastle last week. It was only 1-0, but Newcastle fans were cheering when they touched the ball outside of their half.

They nearly stole a point in the end.

Scary stat, in 2002 there were 2 games in the PL that had teams record 70 plus percent of the possession.

Last season it was 35.

This season it is 37 already. Maybe that has something to do with it? It's now the norm?

Not sure it's scary, just different tactics. Read that Johnathan Wilson article from the other day. He makes a great point about how when Man Utd lost to Barca in Champs League final they were worried they didn't have the ball. Now team accept this is an effective way to play.

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think they’re useful squad players. I doubt Hanson will become more than that. I hold a slim hope Bennett can be, based on his earlier season performances. I mean it took him 2 touches last night to beat their make shift £30m right back and win a dangerous free kick. 

Agree Martin should have been the one to replace winnall if winnall was to come off as we were left with no focal point up top after winnall went off.

Rowett appears to know what he is doing at least I hope he does but my he makes some strange decisions IMO  

2nd in the League and no time to get complacent.

I hope Rowett isn’t being pressurized to play academy players for the sake of it  

PS If we get top 2 then Rowett will have been proved right  

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

I get bringing hanson on with ten minutes to go and the chance of a replay. 

The problem was taking Winall off for Vydra. Vydra isn’t a lone striker and this meant we lost our presence in Manus half. 

George was doing fine. why move him? 

A tired george v a fresh vydra in the no10 role?

and i agree...vydra on his own or vydra plus another striker?

russell was playing well. Ended up swapping russell for bennett? 

Ten minutes as a sub is not enough time to make an impact. Mourinho brought on lukaku and martial with sufficient time to get into it.

bringing on subs should spark us into a bit of life, not make us less effective and see the game drift away.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

He will always be tetchy. Hates Rowett, hates everything about Rowett and will only be happy after Rowett leaves. Then he will start moaning about the next incumbent.

Can't fault his consistency though, or his passion.

I think he just plays up to his name.

Straw man fallacy at play here?

When did he ever say all that? You’re getting your numbing obsession for attacking fans in the way of the truth. Why don’t you express an opinion on Derby once in a while rather obsessing over the personalities of forum folk who have a jot of a critical opinion. Is it the likes you’re after ? What did you think of the match ? Rowetts selections? Tactics? Or you prefer to have no view? 

It’s a forum not a media channel for the club, big boy. 

Im the biggest Rowett backer on here and I have no problem with anything @Angry Ram has said.

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

Rowett appears to know what he is doing at least I hope he does but my he makes some strange decisions IMO  

2nd in the League and no time to get complacent.

I hope Rowett isn’t being pressurized to play academy players for the sake of it  

PS If we get top 2 then Rowett will have been proved right  

I think the team we played was very strong. It was a team I’d back to win almost any championship fixture. 

I think it showed against Sheffield that we definitely needed to freshen things up a bit. 

I don’t think he is. Other than Bird in the league cup and Thomas in another fixture he’s not used any from the academy has he? (I can’t remember) 

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

George was doing fine. why move him? 

A tired george v a fresh vydra in the no10 role?

and i agree...vydra on his own or vydra plus another striker?

russell was playing well. Ended up swapping russell for bennett? 

Ten minutes as a sub is not enough time to make an impact. Mourinho brought on lukaku and martial with sufficient time to get into it.

bringing on subs should spark us into a bit of life, not make us less effective and see the game drift away.

Thorne after 60 minutes was not doing fine. He looked like me after the first pre season training session. Blowing out his 4rse! 

You could tell Rowett had made his changes before the game and didn’t want to change things too much in the game because we were doing fairly well and were in it until 86 minutes. 

Think everyone is getting overly wound up about the subs, people even suggesting some sort of Mel interference. Give me strength.

Vydra came on as he's most likely to score based on this season.

Bennett came on as he's a wide player and Russell was replaced as he didn't stop running.

Hanson came on as we were under pressure and we wanted to try and keep a clean sheet.

What a scandal.

I love Chris Martin but his style is clearly not optimal for how Rowett has us set up.

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Think everyone is getting overly wound up about the subs, people even suggesting some sort of Mel interference. Give me strength.

Vydra came on as he's most likely to score based on this season.

Bennett came on as he's a wide player and Russell was replaced as he didn't stop running.

Hanson came on as we were under pressure and we wanted to try and keep a clean sheet.

What a scandal.

I love Chris Martin but his style is clearly not optimal for how Rowett has us set up.

To let Chris Martin leave Derby would be wrong .

We have already lost Hughes and Ince. 

I do think Mel Morris has influence regarding academy players like Hanson and Bennett being given game  time. 

7 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Thorne after 60 minutes was not doing fine. He looked like me after the first pre season training session. Blowing out his 4rse! 

Why leave him on then?

16 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I get bringing hanson on with ten minutes to go and the chance of a replay. 

The problem was taking Winall off for Vydra. Vydra isn’t a lone striker and this meant we lost our presence in Manus half. 

lost our presence in Man u's half? really? what did Winnall actually do? Lawrence and russell played really well, Weimann was tireless as always, winnal was totally isolated and was left to chase shadows most of the time.i dont think he's particularly good for a lone striker role, he's a goal poacher, and he's nabbed us a few this year, but theres not a chance he can hold up the ball and lay it of like Martin or Nugent possibly, he's not really very quick, he's not big, he's a nuisance, and a ballache to play against i bet, but the game was crying out for vydra or nugent, because if we were to break from the pressure, you'd want one of them two involved in the counter.  Thought that was the only thing i objected to yesterday was having Winnall in instead of Martin. if someones going to be playing in such isolation 

24 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Actually thought Bennett looked like he could have bullied him a bit, looks a stronger unit now does Mason, he really needs to stay injury free for a spell.

1 minute ago, Zag zig said:

Actually thought Bennett looked like he could have bullied him a bit, looks a stronger unit now does Mason, he really needs to stay injury free for a spell.

Can’t score goals. 

Misses the target most of the time. 

Would you want him to start for Derby. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Can’t score goals. 

Misses the target most of the time. 

Would you want him to start for Derby. 

Yes,yes and no.

But neither full back of theirs was so hot, we looked dangerous running at them. Mason too would have barged them about and just maybe put a few crosses in that’s all.

5 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

neither full back of theirs was so hot,

Prem league fees take a bit of getting used to don't they.

£55m for Lindelof and Shaw???

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Yes,yes and no.

But neither full back of theirs was so hot, we looked dangerous running at them. Mason too would have barged them about and just maybe put a few crosses in that’s all.

Trouble is with this giving players game time it then destroys other players. 

I am still backing Rowett and i hope if he does sell Martin to Leeds he gets someone else in.  

I have always had an issue with academy players being allowed to take game time off others just because as Derby fans sing he’s one of our own. 

Thats fine if it works and we get promoted.

All sorts of questions still to be answered at DCFC like have we really got the ambition to push on or are we happy just  to miss out and then say well we gave it a go and next year will be better because we have a good academy and structure.

Hope it work out. 

Archived