Steve McClaren quits Tel Aviv/Sheff Wed next manager?

Day

I hope he gets the job at wednesday.

he did really well in his first spell with us. Transformed a mid-table team into the best team in the championship playing great football.

the second season was a bit flat, derailed by the newcastle business. We then sacked him just when he had committed to stay.

the second spell was a bit like season 2. Again made a huge improvement over Pearson but it wasn't really working and he looked weak. Especially when he admitted that the club had been right to sack him. 

He deserves another opportunity in the championship free of Mel's interference. Wednesday could be a good fit.

They have some good players.

schteve biggest weakness is that the grass is always greener elsewhere. He has a tendency to want to play footsie under the table. After two years at wednesday he'll probably start hankering after the Leeds job or Everton or southampton etc.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

schteve biggest weakness is that the grass is always greener elsewhere. He has a tendency to want to play footsie under the table. After two years at wednesday he'll probably start hankering after the Leeds job or Everton or southampton etc.

or premiership Derby

5 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Short memories and fickle fans. Should have gone up first season and the second season crippling injuries crisis cost us. Played the best football I have seen since the Smith days. Good luck to him and the wendies

I was just about to say the same. 

He was naive at times, sure, but I don't think I could go back and watch the 14/15 season without feeling a tiny bit jealousy that we're simply incapable of reaching that level now. We're more street smart, but in terms of ability on show we're a shadow of where we were under McClaren. 

He gets the best out of certain players, not all, but he had a decent record here - more than a 50% win rate combining the two terms. It's significantly better than Carvalhal achieved at Wendies with similar resources. It's not too dissimilar to what Rowett has done here, either. 

2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/265194-fonseca-v-mcclaren/

Wendies who all know everything in the world before it happens tell me it’s Karanka.

Now, as much as McClaren got a hard time over the Newcastle business. Karanka during his time at Middlesbrough was an absolute see you next tuesday. Negative beyond belief and a horrible person. He's like a low budget Mourinho. 

I'd sooner travel to Tel Aviv and pick McClaren up and piggyback him to Derby than give Karanka a lift round the corner. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I was just about to say the same. 

He was naive at times, sure, but I don't think I could go back and watch the 14/15 season without feeling a tiny bit jealousy that we're simply incapable of reaching that level now. We're more street smart, but in terms of ability on show we're a shadow of where we were under McClaren. 

He gets the best out of certain players, not all, but he had a decent record here - more than a 50% win rate combining the two terms. It's significantly better than Carvalhal achieved at Wendies with similar resources. It's not too dissimilar to what Rowett has done here, either. 

The most annoying thing for me is that I don’t quite know just how good that team really was. 

Grant’s a Premier League team’s player of the season, Jeff’s currently 7th, Ince is currently 10th, Hughes looks as if he’s started to settle down well… the former two weren’t even considered our better players! And they’re not in THAT Derby team when the system suited just about everyone! 

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Now, as much as McClaren got a hard time over the Newcastle business. Karanka during his time at Middlesbrough was an absolute see you next tuesday. Negative beyond belief and a horrible person. He's like a low budget Mourinho. 

I'd sooner travel to Tel Aviv and pick McClaren up and piggyback him to Derby than give Karanka a lift round the corner. 

I told them Karanka plays horrible football mate.

Personally I think Mac would be great for them,certainly coaching wise,even with his transfer connections.

Steve seems to have the ability to do the new manager bounce x 10. He arrives in a massive feel good way somehow. I believe (can’t be certain as I’m not a player) that he’s a great coach but looks like he struggles when the going gets tough. Anyway, I think he’s a buffoon and the Wendies will love him but not for any length of time. 

12 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I didn't say it was I was just stating people only seem to remember the pluses of the McClaren era.

That’s my point, under every manager you can have bad games however under SM the good far outweigh these, hence why most people remember him in a positive light.

11 hours ago, RamNut said:

he did really well in his first spell with us. Transformed a mid-table team into the best team in the championship playing great football.

Whilst I too look back at that season with fond memories, let’s not try to overlook it to much. We weren’t the best team in the league we still could beat Leicester and Burnley even when we were Barcelona-esque. 

Personally I’m quite worried of the thought of Mac going to Wednesday he could do a fantastic job there as we’ve seen first hand. Wether he has the squad to do it I’m not sure, everything aligned perfectly for him here at Derby it might not be as easy at SW.

12 hours ago, RamNut said:

I hope he gets the job at wednesday.

the second season was a bit flat, derailed by the newcastle business. We then sacked him just when he had committed to stay.

the second spell was a bit like season 2. Again made a huge improvement over Pearson but it wasn't really working and he looked weak. Especially when he admitted that the club had been right to sack him. 

He deserves another opportunity in the championship free of Mel's interference. Wednesday could be a good fit.

They have some good players.

It wasn't though, if anyone made that situation worse it was Radio Derby constantly on about it. What derailed the season was losing Martin, then his replacement Bent got injured too. Then we had 3 holding midfielders who were all out for the last 2 or 3 months of the season and we ended up relying on others trying to fill that role (remember warnock against reading).

I know teams have bad luck but to have your first choice thorne out, then his back up (eustace) then his back up (mascarell).

We didnt really have a plan B which you could say was Macs fault but i suppose he thought in eustace he had a plan b and mascarell a plan c.

Also had Buxton out long term injured too.

Injuries were the main reason that season, thorne was always going to be a bit part player but had eustace stayed fit i think we would have gone up.

Not sure what all the hand wringing is regards McClaren going to Wednesday and doing a good job, if Rowett is the right manager then it'll be no concern as we'll be in the Premiership, if Rowett isn't the right man then those in the Rowett out camp will have their pounds of flesh and proved right and we'll be looking for another manager.

3 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Whilst I too look back at that season with fond memories, let’s not try to overlook it to much. We weren’t the best team in the league we still could beat Leicester and Burnley even when we were Barcelona-esque. 

Personally I’m quite worried of the thought of Mac going to Wednesday he could do a fantastic job there as we’ve seen first hand. Wether he has the squad to do it I’m not sure, everything aligned perfectly for him here at Derby it might not be as easy at SW.

You can’t really count the game at Turf Moor after THAT decision. 

18 hours ago, Papahet said:

Have you Ignored the second time around at Twente. The sins at Wolfsburg and Forest, Oh and the Newcastle tenure on purpose? :)

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

No, but each have been blown out of proportion. Twente second time around he was what? Midtable? Wolfsburg, the same? He took a poor Newcastle side down. Looks like Rafa Benitez might be doing the same.

And Forest, where he was given the boot after 9 games? Quite hard to make an impact on a side when you've just taken over from Billy Davies. Hardly a team built to play his style of football.

There is no doubt he could have done better at each job. He could have done better for England too, finishing behind both Croatia and Russia who incidentally both went on to make at least the quarter-finals at Euro 2008.

People exaggerate a lot of his failures because they don't like him. I've already read some of the posts on the Sheff Wed board and a lot don't have a clue. It was the same here too. People don't like him, they want him to fail before he's even come through the door and if he goes on to do well, you still get people like @curtains who criticise him because they will never admit they were wrong about him.

McClaren is an excellent coach. You don't get the Derby team playing as they did if you aren't. He needs help in other areas perhaps such as recruitment, but if you have all that in place and are in need of a coach, he is an excellent option for a team in the Championship and Sheff Wed have decent footballers there. It's a good match.

For example 

"The sins at Wolfsburg"

I think people assume Wolfsburg were some sort of amazing side he demolished. They weren't. Have a look. 

The sheff Wednesday fans seem very negative about possibly getting him which just shows that they don’t really like to watch good football - he could easily turn them into serious promotion contenders at least next season and they would enjoy watching it.

Archived