Your car

RamNut

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine goes close I think...2011 (or 2012?) Nissan X-Trail (top model) set me back what seemed an inordinate $42k at the time but I’d really liked my first X-Trail that I’d bought brand new almost 10 years previously and literally not had a moment of difficulty with it...so I went with it. (Yeah, yeah, yeah...AUD42k equates roughly to £2k or so ?.)

Suffice to say, I’ll never own a Nissan again if my life depended on it.

The manual transmission went completely about four months after I collected it. When I went into the dealership to ask for it to be fixed, I was almost knocked over by the elderly man who took delivery of his new X-Trail the same day I took delivery  of mine. It turned out that his manual transmission had also died completely but Nissan were arguing it was ‘wear and tear’ because his driving of a manual transmission was “apparently not good enough”.

Forewarned, I walked in refusing to take “no” as an answer. Sure enough, the second I mentioned ‘manual transmission’, the person behind the counter said “driver error; wear and tear. It will almost certainly be outside the warranty”. Estimated cost to replace with genuine Nissan manual transmission $10-12k.

Now I had driven a manual vehicle for 15-16 + years, including the previous model X-Trail for the last 10, so I was fairly confident that the “you cannot drive a manual car correctly” line wouldn’t stick.

I insisted they inspect the car  immediately because I felt it was very dangerous.

They reluctantly agreed.

I knew the dealership was up to no good when their mechanic said “there’s the problem right there. Driver error. You started the car in second gear, not first. Of course, it will wear out quickly if you drive like that” and started to get out of the car. 

I had been reversing out of their driveway at the time. So I demanded that he drive the car “correctly” and, after one block, he reported back that it was still drivable but was definitely on its way out. At one point, he made a show of opening the bonnet and saying, “yep, you’ve definitely done the manual transmission”.

Even I - who can barely point out the steering wheel, I know so little about cars - thought it peculiar that the manual transmission would be immediately visible at the top of the engine. It isn’t. The transmission lasted another two days before I could get no propulsion entering a T-intersection of a major thoroughfare. I was fortunate I wasn’t killed; the car was towed to another Nissan dealership.

They reduced the cost to $6000 by offering me non-standard parts. By this stage, I was aware that Nissan had a major issue worldwide with all of their newest model 4WDs’ manual transmissions....and have refused to accept it as either a warranty item or a recall. Apparently the receptacles the balls roll in are too narrow. My manual transmission has had to be replaced four times in six years at a cost of $4-6k each time. Plus there have been numerous other issues with the dog of a car, including overheating constantly and going through copious amounts of engine oil.

Never. Buy. Nissan.

Apparently the receptacles the balls roll in are too narrow.

I've no idea what that means but it made me laugh. 

Seriously though, it sounds like you had a terrible experience. There seem to be a lot of bad reviews.

On 20/12/2017 at 18:52, RamNut said:

Beat this.....

new exhaust

new front discs

2 new tyres

new rear callipers

new fuel pipe

Annual service

mot

new head gasket

new cam belt

new exhaust manifold

currently losing water and overheating.

Cash for crash sounds a good option unless it's a Bentley you're currently driving. You didn't take your car to KwikFit by any chance did you.

On 12/21/2017 at 09:27, Wolfie said:

Mine's had 5 new tyres in the last year. replaced all 4 and then got a puncture a month later - bloomin run flats that you can't repair!. Cost: £1200

Still bloody love the car though and I don't suppose anyone buys a Beemer for cheap maintenance.

You can repair run flats the reason most place's don't is they don't know how far and at what speed it's been driven on when deflated.If it went flat and you didn't drive very far or too quickly then it can be repaired like a standard tyre ie in the centre of the tread and no side wall damage.

But yes you are limited to place's that will look at it for this reason.

On 21/12/2017 at 09:27, Wolfie said:

Mine's had 5 new tyres in the last year. replaced all 4 and then got a puncture a month later - bloomin run flats that you can't repair!. Cost: £1200

Still bloody love the car though and I don't suppose anyone buys a Beemer for cheap maintenance.

Why would you want to buy run flats if you've got a Beamer?

On 26/12/2017 at 10:38, RamNut said:

I've no idea what that means but it made me laugh. 

Seriously though, it sounds like you had a terrible experience. There seem to be a lot of bad reviews.

I don’t know either tbh.

But apparently manual transmissions use balls moving around an alleyway type of thing (i’m proving I wasn’t lying when I said I knew nothing about cars, aren’t I?) to change gears.

I imagine they’re like ten pin bowling alleys....and we know what happens when the bowling alley is too narrow for the bowling ball...I might shut up now....What I should have said was “it was poorly designed”.

• 1 month later...
On 20 December 2017 at 18:52, RamNut said:

Beat this.....

new exhaust

new front discs

2 new tyres

new rear callipers

new fuel pipe

Annual service

mot

new head gasket

new cam belt

new exhaust manifold

currently losing water and overheating.

Update: fixed the coolant leak with a £10 bottle of radweld

now using 2 litres of oil a week

just bought a new engine

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/02/2018 at 21:56, RamNut said:

Update: fixed the coolant leak with a £10 bottle of radweld

now using 2 litres of oil a week

just bought a new engine

When my work van died last year I decided to buy an old range rover instead - plenty of room for all my tools in the back and a bit of luxury if I want to take the kids out. At £4k it was an absolute steal too! I was well pleased with myself. It's now 6 months later and so far I've spent almost exactly £4k keeping the piece of **** on the road. It's like having a rescue dog though - I'm emotionally attached now.

23 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

When my work van died last year I decided to buy an old range rover instead - plenty of room for all my tools in the back and a bit of luxury if I want to take the kids out. At £4k it was an absolute steal too! I was well pleased with myself. It's now 6 months later and so far I've spent almost exactly £4k keeping the piece of **** on the road. It's like having a rescue dog though - I'm emotionally attached now.

I feel like I’m stalking you @Parsnip, but anything with rover in the name will make you think of a dog.

just saying.

i had the misfortune of a freelander once.

*shudder

24 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Didn't you know that Range Rovers were designed to be only used for taking the kids to school and have a maximum daily mileage of ten miles while being driven around Chelsea.

2014 was a bad year .. Did the big cam belt service, then a month later blew the head gasket so all the belts were done again as they don't put "old ones" back on again sir. Then the turbo went, followed by a suspension arm, dodgy glow plugs, and you always puncture the new tyres don't you ? It's never the ones that are on their last legs 

Then It did 3 more years without missing a beat, just oil filters and pads. Just flogged it as I think at a 100k miles and 8 years was begining to ride  my luck 

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I feel like I’m stalking you @Parsnip, but anything with rover in the name will make you think of a dog.

just saying.

Haha wtf?! No idea what that means!

I've just invested in some rust paint - paint that actually rusts cos it's got metal in it - then you spray vinegar on it and you get real rust. My Range Rover is gonna look ratty AF (that's kids talk).

Archived