Defence

RamNut

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gritters said:

A two off Bristol and Reading. 

Bristol was the old formation with 2 banks of 4 sitting just outside the penalty box, only outlet was a hopeful punt upfield.  Do you feel that the set up against Bristol is really representative of what we look like now?  For me the difference is the best example of what GR has done.  TBH after a Bristol I didn't think he could do much about it, how wrong was I.

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Bristol was the old formation with 2 banks of 4 sitting just outside the penalty box, only outlet was a hopeful punt upfield.  Do you feel that the set up against Bristol is really representative of what we look like now?  For me the difference is the best example of what GR has done.  TBH after a Bristol I didn't think he could do much about it, how wrong was I.

I have said in another thread that the games that we were going through a transition early on Bristol was during the transition period. We still conceded 4 though.

Feel like there's not been enough attention given to how brilliant our defence has been this year. After being a weak area for years, I think you could genuinely argue that 3/4 of our back 4 have been the best at their positions in the Championship this season.

Curtis Davies - absolute rock at the back, averaging 5 aerials won per game, sensible passing, good for a 7.46 Whoscored rating.

Richard Keogh - looks so much less shaky with Davies alongside him. His distribution is fantastic. 7.21 rating.

Chris Baird - keeping a very good player (Wisdom) out of the side. Love his 'slide passes' down the right wing. 7.25 rating.

I'd love us to go out and sign a top quality left-back in January - that would give us a defence to rival Wolves and Cardiff.

3 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

Feel like there's not been enough attention given to how brilliant our defence has been this year. After being a weak area for years, I think you could genuinely argue that 3/4 of our back 4 have been the best at their positions in the Championship this season.

Curtis Davies - absolute rock at the back, averaging 5 aerials won per game, sensible passing, good for a 7.46 Whoscored rating.

Richard Keogh - looks so much less shaky with Davies alongside him. His distribution is fantastic. 7.21 rating.

Chris Baird - keeping a very good player (Wisdom) out of the side. Love his 'slide passes' down the right wing. 7.25 rating.

I'd love us to go out and sign a top quality left-back in January - that would give us a defence to rival Wolves and Cardiff.

“Topic was merged with Defence

:lol: 

Solid and experienced back seven makes the defending pretty simple, which has really improved Keogh's game. Without long-term injuries can't see us conceding too many this season.

Hopefully, it proves to be the way to achieve promotion.

On 12/18/2017 at 10:21, jagerbob said:

Hard to beat yes, but we will drop points as will the others.

Can see us finishing top 4. Only when the season is over will we see exactly which position. Bristol City and cardiff keep winning also. They have similar records to us in terms of points haul in the last 15 games or so. It may well come down to the games we play each other. I know when Burnley overhauled Boro and Brighton, and likewise when Watford sneeked into 2nd the season before, it was because they remained undefeated in the games against their rivals.

Yes, in that 23-match unbeaten run after Boxing Day.

Burnley 1 Middlesbrough 1 (Keane last-minute equaliser)

Brighton 2 Burnley 2 (Keane 88th minute equaliser)

Burnley 1 Hull 0

Burnley 4 Derby 1 (Shackell/Keogh OGs and pens)

Sheff Wed 1 Burnley 1

On 12/18/2017 at 12:44, RamLad1884 said:

Always felt that was a flukey run based on high confidence. The inevitable crash came eventually. 

Compare that to this year and the emphasis GR is putting on being hard to beat. Watching the team develop this year has been wonderful. Looking at the relationship that has built between Carson, Keogh, Davies, Hudds and Ledley has genuinely instilled confidence. That little quintet when playing well could not just serve us well in this league but in the prem too

Certainly a quintet with plenty of experience for the PL.

On 17 December 2017 at 10:07, RamNut said:

We conceded 3 in 10 with 5 consecutive clean sheets under schteve last season.

boo

Rowett out,

1 in 8 ,  2 in 9, 

5 consecutive clean sheets.

disappointing today though because we know we need away wins not draws for top two.

Today was a perfect example of that.

4th instead of second.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

1 in 8 ,  2 in 9, 

disappointing today though because we know we need away wins not draws for top two.

4th instead of second.

Not the end of the world though, we are closer to second place now. With Wolves only drawing as well means they are not invincible and instead of just Cardiff as their nearest rivals, there is now 3 teams.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

1 in 8 ,  2 in 9, 

4th instead of second.

still very positive  - yes clean sheet again - ok  - we didn't have our shooting boots on today

but we didn't lose - and I'm upbeat about it all

The score line reflects a zero and that's all that people will remember but how Hull didn't score is beyond me!

Still I'm happy with the defence, thought Fozzy actually had a good game with some excellent covering behind the centre backs and it's another clean sheet.

Don't want to do the defence too much disservice but is it really a surprise that they have been performing so well? The team is set up to aid the defenders by having defensive full backs and two holding midfielders which helps our centre halfs to be solid, with a reliable keeper behind them. We shouldn't be shocked.

Very impressive record but for me, it was more impressive a couple of years ago when we were an "attacking team" but our defence was still solid. What made it them more impressive for me was that they had less protection. It's harder to defend when you're an attacking team as you are more vulnerable on the counter attack. John Terry was one of the best in the world when Chelsea's system was set up defensively but when the likes of Villas Boas and Scholari came in and made Chelsea more expansive, Terry struggled as he had less protection.

That's why I think Keogh deserves a lot of credit. He has proved that he is a good defender in a more "expansive team" like in McClaren and Wassall's respect I've teams and he has proved that he can perform well in a deep block like Rowett's team.

30 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Very impressive record but for me, it was more impressive a couple of years ago when we were an "attacking team" but our defence was still solid. What made it them more impressive for me was that they had less protection.

True.

If you can average 4 points every 2 games you won't be far off being promoted. We need to carry on and maintain this or if possible slightly improve our current form.

Ultimately success will be measured in points and league position not individual performances.

Come on stick with the lads success is within our grasp. 

On 12/18/2017 at 10:21, jagerbob said:

Hard to beat yes, but we will drop points as will the others.

Can see us finishing top 4. Only when the season is over will we see exactly which position. Bristol City and cardiff keep winning also. They have similar records to us in terms of points haul in the last 15 games or so. It may well come down to the games we play each other. I know when Burnley overhauled Boro and Brighton, and likewise when Watford sneeked into 2nd the season before, it was because they remained undefeated in the games against their rivals.

Yep that's the key, when you drop a few points, try to make sure it's not against the rival pack. 

Archived