irrational hatreds

dog

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never got the love in for the Stone Roses.

A latter day version of the Byrds, dreadful lead singer and maybe half an albums worth of tunes, at best.

Sally Cinnamon is a tune, couple of others are Ok, the rest forgettable album fillers.

13 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Nope I will add “all you need is love” “money can’t by you Love” “help!” “She loves you yeah yeah yeah” etc etc etc all rubbish, boy band songs that if some Simon Cowell manufactured band released then now then everyone would be slating them. 

I'll grant you that "She Loves you" is pretty throw away lyrically - but a cracking tune

However if you listen to All You Need Is Love and Help and think they are "rubbish" then you can't be listening very hard!

All You Need Is Love is a universal anthem of truth and Help is one of John Lennon's most heartbreakingly honest lyrics (which a lot of people miss because it's dressed up in such a poppy tune)

Of course the biggest irony of all is that if you had this conversation with Noel Gallagher he'd tell you to stop being soft in the head!

13 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Nope I will add “all you need is love” “money can’t by you Love” “help!” “She loves you yeah yeah yeah” etc etc etc all rubbish, boy band songs that if some Simon Cowell manufactured band released then now then everyone would be slating them. 

Don't worry, the Beatles got plenty of slating at the time, from my Dad :)

17 hours ago, Parsnip said:

So you're saying all Beatles songs were rubbish because of yellow submarine and octupus's garden? That's a bit like saying all Man Utd players were all rubbish because of Eric Djemba-Djemba and Gary Birtles. Except it's more upsetting about the beatles.

Just before I saw this post I was thinking that my dislike of the Beatles is similar to my dislike of Manchester Utd; they both represent the obvious, unthinking go to option for people who aren't really interested in music or football. 

With music, as with football, you have to put the effort in. Working your way through the back catalogues of obscure bands, hitchhiking to tiny gigs in the middle of nowhere, obsessing over Robert Fripp's guitar technique; all bring rewards unknown to the person content to sing along to Hey Jude on the radio for the 8 millionth time.

Similarly, watching a club like Derby week in week out is a totally different level of experience from watching the 'big' Man Ure games on Sky. One header from Bucko can mean infinitely more than winning the Champions League.

The Beatles were a case of right place, right time, and undeniably rose to fame on the boy band factor. People went to scream at them, not listen to the music. The notion that they 'invented everything' is revisionist nonsense based on their popularity and a lack of musical knowledge. 

4 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Working your way through the back catalogues of obscure bands, hitchhiking to tiny gigs in the middle of nowhere, obsessing over Robert Fripp's guitar technique; all bring rewards unknown to the person content to sing along to Hey Jude on the radio for the 8 millionth time.

I've just been sick in my mouth. Thanks for that.

16 minutes ago, David said:

Linda?

Proves my point.

If you were really a member of the biggest band in the world, with all the groupies that entails, would you date, never mind marry, a woman who refused to put meat in her mouth?

The walrus was Paul.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/paul-mccartney-musics-most-wtf-conspiracy-theories-explained-w511027

Archived