irrational hatreds

dog

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I like music with lyrics that mean something... I can’t tell a single word that Prince “sang” as I said the Beatles just sang nursery rhymes and madonnas lyrics  were always as meaningful as dishwater. 

She had a sister

And god only knows how I missed her

And on the palm of her hand is a blister.

Slowly walking down the hall

Faster than a cannonball 

Tomorrow never knows what it doesn't know too soon

Classic frontier gibberish!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a great fondness for the Beatles and consider them one of if not the greatest musical bands in the history of the world and i must say it annoys me when they get unfairly criticized in some half handed vapid preposterous one-liner or outrageously labeled as common nursery rhymers and i do find that it's particularly irritating when it's done by an English person.  The Beatles are an English institution for goodness sake,  Why don't you have a go at Shakespeare while you're at it.

2 hours ago, ramit said:

i have a great fondness for the Beatles and consider them one of if not the greatest musical bands in the history of the world and i must say it annoys me when they get unfairly criticized in some half handed vapid preposterous one-liner or outrageously labeled as common nursery rhymers and i do find that it's particularly irritating when it's done by an English person.  The Beatles are an English institution for goodness sake,  Why don't you have a go at Shakespeare while you're at it.

We all live in a yellow submarine....... nursery rhyme

they were just the 60’s version of one direction..

5 hours ago, GboroRam said:

She had a sister

And god only knows how I missed her

And on the palm of her hand is a blister.

Slowly walking down the hall

Faster than a cannonball 

Tomorrow never knows what it doesn't know too soon

Classic frontier gibberish!

Classic lyrics, everyone of those. 

I mean not a patch on madonnas incredible “daddy don’t get mad but I have got myself pregnant and I am not getting rid of it” or Prince singing about “the rain is purple” or the boy band claiming that “money can’t by you love” 

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

We all live in a yellow submarine....... nursery rhyme

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind
Possessing and caressing me
Nothing's gonna change my world

Pure poetry I'm afraid.

Yes they had some daft songs like Yellow Submarine, Octopus's Garden, but then they wrote so many varied and wonderful songs.

In contrast - Oasis are perhaps the most one dimensional band I've ever known. I saw them at Derby Wherehouse supporting BMX Bandits before their first single came out and we were all laughing at how embarassingly derivative they were. That didn't change. If anything it got worse. I remember when Be Here Now came out and it was re-christened by my mate as "Listen To Once"

:lol:

5 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind
Possessing and caressing me
Nothing's gonna change my world

Pure poetry I'm afraid.

Yes they had some daft songs like Yellow Submarine, Octopus's Garden, but then they wrote so many varied and wonderful songs.

In contrast - Oasis are perhaps the most one dimensional band I've ever known. I saw them at Derby Wherehouse supporting BMX Bandits before their first single came out and we were all laughing at how embarassingly derivative they were. That didn't change. If anything it got worse. I remember when Be Here Now came out and it was re-christened by my mate as "Listen To Once"

:lol:

Bmx Bandits now you are talking bands..

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Yellow submarine, octopus garden, Thomas the tank engine.....

So you're saying all Beatles songs were rubbish because of yellow submarine and octupus's garden? That's a bit like saying all Man Utd players were all rubbish because of Eric Djemba-Djemba and Gary Birtles. Except it's more upsetting about the beatles.

2 hours ago, Parsnip said:

So you're saying all Beatles songs were rubbish because of yellow submarine and octupus's garden? That's a bit like saying all Man Utd players were all rubbish because of Eric Djemba-Djemba and Gary Birtles. Except it's more upsetting about the beatles.

Nope I will add “all you need is love” “money can’t by you Love” “help!” “She loves you yeah yeah yeah” etc etc etc all rubbish, boy band songs that if some Simon Cowell manufactured band released then now then everyone would be slating them. 

Just now, Moist One said:

you need to appreciate what a conservative world they lived in at the time.

They lived in the swinging sixties....with free love, more drugs than ever, peace and happiness and war and poverty.. bands like The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The Who etc etc hardly conservative at all. 

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Nope I will add “all you need is love” “money can’t by you Love” “help!” “She loves you yeah yeah yeah” etc etc etc all rubbish, boy band songs that if some Simon Cowell manufactured band released then now then everyone would be slating them. 

listen to Here, there and Everywhere (Revolver) and With a Little Help from my friends (albeit better known sang by Joe Cocker and Wet Wet Wet). Whilst I am one of the original Oasis fans, met them and watched them before most had heard of them in late 93 and early 94, they based their early sound on trying to replicate the Beatles, they used to play 2 or 3 Beatles covers, most famously I am the Walrus.

I appreciate all good music, and liking one doesn't mean I cannot and should not like another. Beatles invented most of it.

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

They lived in the swinging sixties....with free love, more drugs than ever, peace and happiness and war and poverty.. bands like The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The Who etc etc hardly conservative at all. 

yeah, the back end, but at the front end of the 60s, Rock and Roll was considered evil.

10 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Ok so you don't like the early stuff and you don't like the s*** ringo ones. When people quite rightly talk about the absolute genius and perfection of beatles music, they aren't talking about any of these songs.

To make myself feel better I'm going to assume that you've never listened to sgt. pepper, revolver or the white album.

Some of the Beatles stuff is pure genius, which is why so much of their stuff was covered by other top artists, including Oasis.

I have to say though that Oasis had their moments although these were far less frequent than the Beatles... & if we're being honest they weren't even the best band out of Manchester, that honour goes to the Stone Roses.

Archived