Poppies

Angry Ram

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a man in his 40s it appears that "questioning everything to do with poppies" is a phenomenon of the last handful of years.

Just seems weird to me that suddenly there is so much fuss (not referring to this post directly btw).

30+ years of poppy-wearing with zero batted-eyelids. Now this

Wear one or don't wear one. Wear it how you like. It means what it means to the individual. It's no one else's place to question that. It's a personal thing. Likewise, if you don't want to wear one, don't feel the need to justify your decision at length in public. The only people who will respond are the ones who will seek to string you up over it

It's fashion to cover everything in poppies at the moment - this is my poppy covered spitfire i made for West Quay Shopping Centre in Southampton...

getimage.aspx?regionKey=BvROmBT7mdPabuXa

I wonder if Mel would like to commission this local model maker,  (& life long fan) to make a huge poppy covered Ram next year?...

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

As a man in his 40s it appears that "questioning everything to do with poppies" is a phenomenon of the last handful of years.

Just seems weird to me that suddenly there is so much fuss (not referring to this post directly btw).

30+ years of poppy-wearing with zero batted-eyelids. Now this

Wear one or don't wear one. Wear it how you like. It means what it means to the individual. It's no one else's place to question that. It's a personal thing. Likewise, if you don't want to wear one, don't feel the need to justify your decision at length in public. The only people who will respond are the ones who will seek to string you up over it

Yep, me to.. Never gave it a second thought, just wore them with pride. Someone says to me last night there was a right way.. Bollx I say. It appears he was rightish.. Davids link is interesting as it comes from the horses mouth so to speak. 

I am just going to carry on not conforming. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

It's fashion to cover everything in poppies at the moment - this is my poppy covered spitfire i made for West Quay Shopping Centre in Southampton...

I wonder if Mel would like to commission this local model maker,  (& life long fan) to make a huge poppy covered Ram next year?...

Really?!  I am in awe. In fact I am prostrating myself at the moment

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

Is that on display this year? I live near Southampton so would make a special trip to see that :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Is that on display this year? I live near Southampton so would make a special trip to see that :thumbsup:

Yeah i installed it last week and it'll be there till monday. It's by the castle walk entrance to the West Quay centre.

4 hours ago, Parsnip said:

The right wing looks longer than the left! And you can't do a Ram unless you know where the eye is.

5 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Don't want to get into the should we debate. 

But.. Is there a right way to wear these things.. Leaf up or down? Men wear on one side, women on the other?

Why is everything so complicated?

I wear mine on the left with the leaf up and if you buy the metal badge with the date on, you have to wear it the correct way so the numbers are the right way up. I also have the car poppy and the Car air freshener and have the Rams badge with the poppy so that I don't have to keep switching poppies when I change jackets.

5 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I guess with Supermarine being based down there it will be quite a draw .The Spitfire is the greatest thing ever to take to the air imo very pretty aeroplane .

In fact when it was delivered to the RAF someone remarked it's pretty but can it fight ,well we all know the answer to that one.

Archived