U23’s v Forest

REDCAR

Just now, sage said:

Tough going tonight with them playing 4 first teamers.

Unfortunately the fixture brought out some people who don't normally come to u23 games. Some people actually booed at the final whistle.

What was really moronic but amusing was some of their fans singing 'is there a fire drill' after the final whistle as everyone filed out.

Yea I heard those idiots.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I thought we were poor tonight and second best all over the park. We didn't have enough movement up top and Vernam was dropping far to deep, our passing was sloppy and there was no real aggression. The only positives for me were Barnes and Wassall, Thomas looks a real prospect but drifts in and out too much and spends a lot of time wandering about and not looking for the ball. Lowe looks like he's running knee deep in mud when chasing back and Guys passing left a lot to be desired. I can't understand why there were so many changes from the Wolfsburg game.

I quite like the fact that the youngsters were given a chance,even though I don't like losing to the gumps at any level.A stern test will have done them good,and I don't think they acquitted themselves that badly when you consider what they were up against (including players that cost big money)

I assume Babos was away with Wales?

1 minute ago, ramblur said:

I quite like the fact that the youngsters were given a chance,even though I don't like losing to the gumps at any level.A stern test will have done them good,and I don't think they acquitted themselves that badly when you consider what they were up against (including players that cost big money)

I assume Babos was away with Wales?

It was mainly the youngsters that played against Wolfsburg, with only Thorne and Anya that could be classed as senior players and Anya was poor to be honest.

1 minute ago, ossieram said:

It was mainly the youngsters that played against Wolfsburg, with only Thorne and Anya that could be classed as senior players and Anya was poor to be honest.

So if Anya was poor,your only gripe was that Thorne didn't play?

2 minutes ago, ossieram said:

No, there were other changes to the team that I don't think were needed.

You just confused me when you said 'so many' changes.Babos accounts for one,as he was away.Did Shacks play in the other game? Whilst I can understand playing some seniors in the league,where we want to retain our status,I think it's a different matter in the cup.After all,this is about the development of our kids,and any senior playing takes away valuable game time from a youngster.

3 minutes ago, ramblur said:

You just confused me when you said 'so many' changes.Babos accounts for one,as he was away.Did Shacks play in the other game? Whilst I can understand playing some seniors in the league,where we want to retain our status,I think it's a different matter in the cup.After all,this is about the development of our kids,and any senior playing takes away valuable game time from a youngster.

I did edit my post above, but you were probably typing as I edited. There 6 changes tonight. Shackell didn't play in the Wolfsburg game.

I thought we did ok tonight against a very strong Forest line-up, especially with Babos missing, who is one of our main playmakers. 

We had a change in defence with Joe Bateman playing on right side and Wassall moving across to left. In addition we have Max Lowe, Charles Vernam and Callum Guy still working their ways back to fitness after lengthy injuries. Vernam was playing in a sort of advanced midfield role as just 17 year old Max Bird was holding mid against Clough and Cash - it was a tough role for him.

I actually thought Guy played quite well - he was certainly the one driving us forward as did Kyron Stabana and young Mitchell Lawson when he came on. Thomas had some lovely runs particularly in first half but seemed to fade out of game later on.  Barnes was brilliant in goal at times and kept the score respectable. 

We had a good spell in second half when we didn’t quite seem able to take that final shot on - maybe a lack of confidence or just good defending from Forest. 

It's  a  shame Thorne and Shackell weren't available tonight as that little bit of experience would probably have swung the game in our favour. 

I didn’t hear any boos near me and around us the players got a warm round of applause at the final whistle.

4 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Barnes made some good saves, but he really doesn't want to see their second goal again. Horrible goalkeeping.

Was it? Far side from where I sat and I didn't have a great view. Shame because otherwise he did very well and his distribution was pretty good.

Just now, angieram said:

Was it? Far side from where I sat and I didn't have a great view. Shame because otherwise he did very well and his distribution was pretty good.

Yeah, did basically worst possible mistake keeper can do. Sat on his ass when the shot left the boot even when the attacker was not having a best possible angle and wrong-footed... Other than that, solid performance.

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree with the commo, they reckoned he gambled on a cross ball and the attacker hit it in past his near post. An error of judgement from a young keeper who did well otherwise.

A really enjoyable watch, two teams attempting to play good football, and Forest were just more streetwise and incisive.

Take the senior pros out, and it would have been a closer game, but still a better watch than most games at Pride Park this season.

Think Jonno must have been thinking of his nightcap when he kept referring to Forest giving it three barrels, instead of both though.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Tough going tonight with them playing 4 first teamers.

Unfortunately the fixture brought out some people who don't normally come to u23 games. Some people actually booed at the final whistle.

What was really moronic but amusing was some of their fans singing 'is there a fire drill' after the final whistle as everyone filed out.

I thought I heard booing?

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

If anyone did boo hopefully they have been persuaded never to step foot in pride park again.

Sadly I very much doubt that, the bloody bloke behind me blamed Keogh for their third at the weekend! Said he wasn’t in position, well no f****** s***, he was in position on the physios table! Really do wonder sometimes whether people actually just turn up purely to criticise.

Archived