Fulham vs Derby County match day thread

DEL

Looking at it globally, I feel that we are moving forward. Seasons prior to this, we would have lost tonight.

No, its not pretty, and can be quite frustrating, but we do now have a bit of resilience. I think, that this sort of character is quite a decent platform to build on. After all, you don't design the turrets and the facades first, you lay in good foundations, and I feel that GR is doing this fairly effectively.

He has constraints, in that some of the raw materials he has to work with, have not previously demonstrated the required qualities. And to be fair, it looks like some never will. I'm sure he can see this. I would be surprised if quite a few of the old guard have their contracts renewed, without evidence that they are prepared to make the hard yards.

I, for one, am not all doom and gloom, and believe me, when I make a round trip of  200 or 400 miles, depending on where I am at the time,  to watch something like the Reading debacle, I do not have a happy return leg, however, I will be there Tuesday night because its what I do, and have done, when possible for the last 35 years.

I get my fix from believing that the guys wearing the shirt, care as much about it as I do, and clearly, after 50 years of watching The Rams, you have spells when this is not the case. 

Truth be known, I don't really think we are as good as we think we are, but chins up guys, we could be Chesterfield fans.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I'm not happy with some of GR's decisions, I'd have loved to see someone like Ledley with Hughes and Bryson 

However, i'm not really sure what fans expected this season? It was always going to be a transitional period for me. I never once thought we'd be playing succulent football and tearing up the league. Its GR's first season and as long as we finish the season playing a bit better stuff than we've started with then i'll be happy. 

There was always a lot to put right after the Clement/Pearson signings and the disjointed squad he inherited. GR deserves next season to see what he can do imo.

I don't expect to win every game. I do expect us to compete every game and make it very hard for teams to beat us. 

We are in a fantastic position to make a tweak or two in the transfer window and have a go at the play offs in the new year. If we make it, its a fantastic bonus, if not, Gary should have something like the squad he wants going into next season.

Patience chaps.

Seems a bit of a conflicted post. You start by saying you don't agree with GR 's decisions then end with it's the squad he inherited.

Hughes was always going to go this season and Bryson went before Ledley came so...

but I agree I would have liked to see those  3 play tonight.

1 minute ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Seems a bit of a conflicted post. You start by saying you don't agree with GR 's decisions then end with it's the squad he inherited.

Hughes was always going to go this season and Bryson went before Ledley came so...

but I agree I would have liked to see those  3 play tonight.

I am a bit conflicted!

I am convinced Hughes would have stayed if Gary had told him he wanted to build his team around him and Bryson is a top midfielder at this level so definitely GR's fault imo. However, he did have to do something and i don't feel we have any choice but to give him the time to build and shape his squad.

We're not in a bad place really and we can improve with a bit more guile and belief.

9 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Also, we seem to be stuck in this transitional season . How long is transitional ? It seems to be since the QPR final .

Agreed. Its transitional for Rowett as it is his first season. He should be judged at Christmas next season if we're not looking like challenging for promotion.

34 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

I was at the game today. Derby lacked purpose,pace and desire in the first half and seemed happy to surrender the initiative to Fulham. We certainly didn't look like a team chasing promotion. An injection of pace in the second half caused Fulham problems and led to our goal. i also thought we should have had a penalty shortly before the goal when Tim ream pulled Nugent back by the shoulder.

Fulham play nice football but they are weak defensively and lack a quality striker. They aren't as good as they were last season due to injuries and player sales and I thought that Derby should have approached this game as an opportunity for a win. It is disappointing that this wasn't the case. That Richard Keogh was our most influential midfielder says all there needs to be said about Huddlestone and Ledley.

Yes I felt we didnt make the most of fulhams defensive weaknesses.. we have our own weaknesses in midfield and although we came back at them in the second half, we lost the momentum again when johnson went off so a point will have to do. 

not pretty by Derby this season but the away results have improved I think.

Yes the martin post was irony ,,, aimed at constant posts implying that he is some kind of miracle player whose inclusion is the cure all and will make a massive difference ,, he is not ,, he is a decent striker competing for a place against other decent strikers ,,,, Thorne ???  Well it's clear that the days when he walked into the team fit or not are gone and that's a good thing ,,, whatever way you slice it rowett is getting the absolute must have basics in place at the club again i.e. Hard work and the right attitude ,whether he can or will take it beyond that to good football with results is a debate for another time as it's far too early to make that call for the fair minded amongst us , the constant bleating about martin and not being Barcelona after one transfer window is extremely boring , Christ I could understand it if martin was coming on and looking head and shoulder above the rest but it's just not the case and yep I know the answer to this post will be rowett needs to play to martins strengths ,, yawn yawn yawn , 

8 minutes ago, archied said:

Yes the martin post was irony ,,, aimed at constant posts implying that he is some kind of miracle player whose inclusion is the cure all and will make a massive difference ,, he is not ,, he is a decent striker competing for a place against other decent strikers ,,,, Thorne ???  Well it's clear that the days when he walked into the team fit or not are gone and that's a good thing ,,, whatever way you slice it rowett is getting the absolute must have basics in place at the club again i.e. Hard work and the right attitude ,whether he can or will take it beyond that to good football with results is a debate for another time as it's far too early to make that call for the fair minded amongst us , the constant bleating about martin and not being Barcelona after one transfer window is extremely boring , Christ I could understand it if martin was coming on and looking head and shoulder above the rest but it's just not the case and yep I know the answer to this post will be rowett needs to play to martins strengths ,, yawn yawn yawn , 

Martin is just one of several players that rowett is unable to play to their potential.......

And I'd like to see which players strengths he is actually playing too....

Having a hard work attitude is clearly no substitute for good coaching ability as the majority of the squad look worse than before his tenure began.

Personally I find the football far more yawn inducing than the comments on here merely wishing to watch anything approaching entertaining.

13 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Martin is just one of several players that rowett is unable to play to their potential.......

And I'd like to see which players strengths he is actually playing too....

Having a hard work attitude is clearly no substitute for good coaching ability as the majority of the squad look worse than before his tenure began.

Personally I find the football far more yawn inducing than the comments on here merely wishing to watch anything approaching entertaining.

Really?? We have been in decline since the playoff loss to qpr 

we have turned round from being totally fragile away to 5 unbeaten with some good wins ,, no coaching involved there I guess?

several players that rowett can't play to their potential? Who? Is this list made up of players touted for years as potential promotion team that no manager ( Mac included) has coached to promotion ?

sorry but the truth is your looking through Chris martin clouded eyes 

the football is not brazilesque at this point but there are some positives too ,we are winning and drawing games where we would have crumbled before and lost , 

our best spell in the game today was decent and it was played by the starting 11 picked by rowett coming out after a halftime talk ?

i could go on but what's the point ?  Rowett doesn't see Chris martin as the be all and end all of Derby county and to some that makes him a poor clueless manager only interested in dour football no matter how decent the goal we scored was in terms of skill from the creator and scorer of it 

I wasn't at the match, knew nowt about the score until I got back from a 70th birthday party at half eight tonight.

I checked the report and thought 'OK, we didn't lose and I said Vydra would score for us.'

We drew away from home.  

As usual, on reading these comments I might have been forgiven for thinking we had lost 5-0!

The only certain thing in this beautiful game is that you can't win 'em all!

To come home with a point in a game where we had five shots on target against Fulham's eleven seems OK to me.

Fulham were always going to go all out for a win after the international break and we could have suffered the backlash.

We didn't, and gained a point rather than squandering two!

Don't worry....be happy!

Please!

14 minutes ago, archied said:

Really?? We have been in decline since the playoff loss to qpr 

we have turned round from being totally fragile away to 5 unbeaten with some good wins ,, no coaching involved there I guess?

several players that rowett can't play to their potential? Who? Is this list made up of players touted for years as potential promotion team that no manager ( Mac included) has coached to promotion ?

sorry but the truth is your looking through Chris martin clouded eyes 

the football is not brazilesque at this point but there are some positives too ,we are winning and drawing games where we would have crumbled before and lost , 

our best spell in the game today was decent and it was played by the starting 11 picked by rowett coming out after a halftime talk ?

i could go on but what's the point ?  Rowett doesn't see Chris martin as the be all and end all of Derby county and to some that makes him a poor clueless manager only interested in dour football no matter how decent the goal we scored was in terms of skill from the creator and scorer of it 

I see your Martin obsession has kicked again.....

Ten minutes max of offensive play in the second half after being absolutely dreadful for the first half obviously sits well with you.

Brazilesque?

I wouldn't describe it as heanortownesque at the minute.

Awful dour football.

The under 23's are better to watch,which is fortunate,as at least my rams TV subscription gets some use watching them....quite brazilesque actually.

It will come in handy having wassell about once rowetts been moved on.

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I see your Martin obsession has kicked again.....

Ten minutes max of offensive play in the second half after being absolutely dreadful for the first half obviously sits well with you.

Brazilesque?

I wouldn't describe it as heanortownesque at the minute.

Awful dour football.

The under 23's are better to watch,which is fortunate,as at least my rams TV subscription gets some use watching them....quite brazilesque actually.

It will come in handy having wassell about once rowetts been moved on.

The U23s would have been smashed by Fulham. 

You are bordering on the ridiculous 

Huddlestone is quality. Once we have a balanced side with more energy and pace we'll see the best of him. I also think that the players need to pick up more intelligent positions and runs. I would like to see the Martin & Vydra combination at some point. Martin's hold up play gives us much more control in the final third. The performances haven't been great but they won't be until Rowett's built his team over 2-3 transfer windows. I do miss dominating possession and playing sides off the park though! As long as we become a side that creates lots of chances then I'm happy with that.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Typical performance

sitting deep, defending, hitting long balls

15 minute purple patch immediately after half time - good goal

then sat back again.

Decent result. Not a great spectacle.

Ledley -my man of the match

Ledley never gives the ball away and was our best player closely followed by Baird....I'm finding this style very frustrating to be honest ...yes we are 7th blah blah but I think we can play much better ...we basically played for 15-20 mins today ...not great to watch I'm afraid 

Just now, Saity said:

Ledley never gives the ball away and was our best player closely followed by Baird....I'm finding this style very frustrating to be honest ...yes we are 7th blah blah but I think we can play much better ...we basically played for 15-20 mins today ...not great to watch I'm afraid 

Do you remember  fans on here saying get rid of all the players last season as they weren’t good enough well Rowett has done well with these Derby players. .

Archived