Tom Huddlestone

I'm sick and tired of hearing people slate Tom Huddlestone. He's a Derby player FFS and contributing to a great run. Why oh why do people have to target certain players and try to bring disruption when it's not needed.

Support the whole team, not just a few players who you think are contributing. Remember the Vidra haters and then all of a sudden you love him to bits. They are a team not a bunch of individuals. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

think its the british mentality.

maybe they need someone to slate as you say, or maybe they are always looking for ways to improve our team, and so single out what they perceive to be the weak link, whom apparently isnt doing their bit.

Im sure football fans in certain other countries support the team as a team no matter what.

1 minute ago, jagerbob said:

think its the british mentality.

maybe they need someone to slate as you say, or maybe they are always looking for ways to improve our team, and so single out what they perceive to be the weak link, whom apparently isnt doing their bit.

Im sure football fans in certain other countries support the team as a team no matter what.

Nobody can moan about DCFC right now. If that rocket shot from Huddlestone went in against Norwich he would be named player of the year by his haters

17 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I'm sick and tired of hearing people slate Tom Huddlestone. He's a Derby player FFS and contributing to a great run. Why oh why do people have to target certain players and try to bring disruption when it's not needed.

He wasn't dire, he made a couple of errors but he's done enough right other games, everyone makes mistakes even Keogh apparently.

Maybe a rest would do him some good, not knocking, just saying. Either way you're right he's part of a winning side, could equally say Lawrence didn't sparkle as much most of the game but he went and won the penalty, just shows how fortunes turn; I'm sure one of his long range rockets will find the back of the net sometime and he'll be everyone's hero that day.

Players we bring in, regardless of their quality or CV, will not play to their full potential if we don't place them in a system that suits them with players that compliment them.

Huddlestone is a very extreme and unusual player. He is extremely slow, possibly the slowest player in the league but he is also extremely good as a deep lying midfield player. Rowett said something I agree with when we brought him in; he's one of the best passers of the ball in the country, let alone the league.

He's well worth having in the team but you have to have someone to compliment him. Kieftenbeld was going to be that player but unfortunately we've ended up with Ledley, who's been good but he's hardly the most mobile.

Look at the first goal tonight, both Ledley and Huddlestone get caught in possession and we concede. Hardly surprising is it? We've got two aging DM's who can get caught by a high pressing team. Easy to get caught on the counter.

But also, look at our first goal tonight. Huddlestone plays a ball that no one else in this league can play. The ball comes to him quickly from a short distance, his body isn't fully turned and Fozzy isn't even free yet. It set up the goal and changed the momentum of the game, we went onto win. His pass to Russell against Sunderland is another standout.

The point is until we get Huddlestone a midfield partner that can cover his weaknesses and compliment him, there'll be moments like there were tonight. But he's still got the moments where he's a genuine match winner, the calls for him to be dropped or subbed at half-time are completely unwarranted and reactionary.

Dawes and Ramage getting carried away doesn't help.

I think the last part of your post is very key @Leicester Ram.  They have constantly called him, similar to Butterfield. The first goal against Sheffield Utd was all Huddlestone's fault according to Dawes, you know the one where Carson clears it along the floor to Billy Sharp. The pair of them peed me off tonight. Constantly getting Lawrence and Huddlestone mixed up. Dawes was telling us that Martin laid the ball off to Winnall who passed it to Thorne :blink: the same Winnall who went off for Thone.

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

I think the last part of your post is very key @Leicester Ram.  They have constantly called him, similar to Butterfield. The first goal against Sheffield Utd was all Huddlestone's fault according to Dawes, you know the one where Carson clears it along the floor to Billy Sharp. The pair of them peed me off tonight. Constantly getting Lawrence and Huddlestone mixed up. Dawes was telling us that Martin laid the ball off to Winnall who passed it to Thorne :blink: the same Winnall who went off for Thone.

I like them both individually but one of them needs to be the grown up. They both seem to lose their heads so quickly, which only makes the other one worse.

I know the feeling, I was completely unhappy throughout the entire Wednesday game, I ended up ranting and raving despite the fact we were 1-0 up against ten men.

We all care about Derby a lot but the difference is, I don't have a few thousand people relying on me for information about the game.

Players play well then not so well some are good and some are bad. Huddlestone is a good player who’s not exactly in a rich vein of form but that should change but no harm in pointing it out. He made 3 horrific plays today but yes he made a lovely pass to Fozzy. So what.

Don’t matter who plays we still kick everyone’s butt.

Young bloke behind me at the match last night was laying into all the players at the top of his voice (acting up for his young acolytes ) and I put up with it until he was celebrating Johnson going down after a challenge "I hope he's injured cause he's f****** crap" so I turned round and asked him if he was a Derby supporter. He hadn't got a clue what he had done wrong. We had to move seats at half time or I would have strangled him!

I do not understand the mentality of 'fans' like that.

On the Huddlestone debate just look at what he does over the 90 minutes, not the two bits you see on the highlights. 

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

Young bloke behind me at the match last night was laying into all the players at the top of his voice (acting up for his young acolytes ) and I put up with it until he was celebrating Johnson going down after a challenge "I hope he's injured cause he's f****** crap" so I turned round and asked him if he was a Derby supporter. He hadn't got a clue what he had done wrong. We had to move seats at half time or I would have strangled him!

I do not understand the mentality of 'fans' like that.

On the Huddlestone debate just look at what he does over the 90 minutes, not the two bits you see on the highlights. 

Just a knuckle dragger Angie. Loads about unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Players we bring in, regardless of their quality or CV, will not play to their full potential if we don't place them in a system that suits them with players that compliment them.

Huddlestone is a very extreme and unusual player. He is extremely slow, possibly the slowest player in the league but he is also extremely good as a deep lying midfield player. Rowett said something I agree with when we brought him in; he's one of the best passers of the ball in the country, let alone the league.

He's well worth having in the team but you have to have someone to compliment him. Kieftenbeld was going to be that player but unfortunately we've ended up with Ledley, who's been good but he's hardly the most mobile.

Look at the first goal tonight, both Ledley and Huddlestone get caught in possession and we concede. Hardly surprising is it? We've got two aging DM's who can get caught by a high pressing team. Easy to get caught on the counter.

But also, look at our first goal tonight. Huddlestone plays a ball that no one else in this league can play. The ball comes to him quickly from a short distance, his body isn't fully turned and Fozzy isn't even free yet. It set up the goal and changed the momentum of the game, we went onto win. His pass to Russell against Sunderland is another standout.

The point is until we get Huddlestone a midfield partner that can cover his weaknesses and compliment him, there'll be moments like there were tonight. But he's still got the moments where he's a genuine match winner, the calls for him to be dropped or subbed at half-time are completely unwarranted and reactionary.

Good post I went last night and yes Tom was poor first half But your right he needs legs around to help him we knew this when we bought him but he's capable of changing a game with one pass we have nobody else who can do it More of a concern is Lawrence he's been off it for a while now hiss corners free kicks and general play are very average

17 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Very good points. Huddlestone was possibly the best passer of the ball in the PL when Spurs sold him. He is an unusual talent and probably doesn't fit in to the tippy tap style that some teams (think they) are playing. In the long term it may transpire that Rowett has been quite clever in bringing Tom to utilise his range of passing in a slightly more direct style. I do feel however that his lack of mobility requires a quick, neat and busy type to play along side (Kieftenbeld?). Then again what we have at present is working OK. 

45 minutes ago, europia said:

Very good points. Huddlestone was possibly the best passer of the ball in the PL when Spurs sold him. He is an unusual talent and probably doesn't fit in to the tippy tap style that some teams (think they) are playing. In the long term it may transpire that Rowett has been quite clever in bringing Tom to utilise his range of passing in a slightly more direct style. I do feel however that his lack of mobility requires a quick, neat and busy type to play along side (Kieftenbeld?). Then again what we have at present is working OK. 

The oddity of Huddlestone is that his ground passing isn’t anything special. It’ll be accurate but it won’t have a zip to it and it isn’t really incisive or instigative.

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

The oddity of Huddlestone is that his ground passing isn’t anything special. It’ll be accurate but it won’t have a zip to it and it isn’t really incisive or instigative.

Agreed, overall he is not at his best in certain aspects of his game. He may be coming to the end of his playing days at a high level. It comes sooner for some than others. Then again he might go on for another 2 or 3 seasons. 

8 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Watching the match I think Ledley plays Huddlestone into trouble for the Leeds goal. Huddlestone should have done better but he wasn't the only one.

I blamed Joe Ledley for their goal anyway. 

Archived