Now pick the team!

JG400

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea. How do you drop Winnall now? Think he will revert to Vyds and Nuge - and Hudds is lucky that he’ll be starting again. I’d put Thorne in but he won’t. Don’t think russell will get his spot back from Bradley either. When they’re all busting a gut for the Rams GR has hard choices ahead ... but he will go more expansive and creative attacking at home. 

I'd drop Lawrence.

I know he won a penalty tonight, won being the operative word, but I don't think it would do him any harm in the long run to feel he's not the automatic first name on the team sheet.

He's flattered to deceive so far, I just think to know he can be dropped may give him the kick up the arse he might need.

Although injuries may prevent this at this time, he's not doing enough to justify automatic inclusion atm.

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'd drop Lawrence.

I know he won a penalty tonight, won being the operative word, but I don't think it would do him any harm in the long run to feel he's not the automatic first name on the team sheet.

He's flattered to deceive so far, I just think to know he can be dropped may give him the kick up the arse he might need.

Although injuries may prevent this at this time, he's not doing enough to justify automatic inclusion atm.

I wouldn’t drop him as we currently have no one better to replace him but I do believe he will start to get more assists and goals in the near future and I wouldn’t drop Huddlestone even if he looks poor on occasions- we are winning!

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'd drop Lawrence.

He doesn't need a kick up the arse he needs encouragement & reassurance. Big money move for a young(ish) player into an experienced squad. He's a class player and given a bit more time it probably become our most exciting player.

I think Tom H is on borrowed time at the moment before he gets benched, though great pass in build up to the equaliser tonight. I just think Thorne will give us more, moves the ball quicker (though think Tom is playing well below his ability in this area) and gets round the pitch more. Johnson has given a real dilemma (finally Bradley two decent performances in a row!), he has to stay in. Tom Lawrence needs to do more but would keep in for the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if he kept Martin and Winnall, part of me would like to see Chrissy get another chance, but think he'll go Vydra and Winnall and who could argue?

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

I wouldn’t drop him as we currently have no one better to replace him but I do believe he will start to get more assists and goals in the near future and I wouldn’t drop Huddlestone even if he looks poor on occasions- we are winning!

Agreed - I wouldn't drop him either. Lawrence very much looks a 'confidence' player and to drop him after not playing up to his potential although still providing 2 or 3 assists won't help. He's also not had the best of luck but one really good performance and a goal could see a totally different player who could provide the icing on our cake.

4 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Ah I remember the days when we had Martin injured then bent and we were screwed! What a dilemma to be in! What's great is whoever plays does well and whoever gets subbed on is having an impact

I was just thinking the same. The big problem with the 4-3-3 was that Martin was the only person who could play up front and you really needed someone as good as Thorne in the DM role, although Eustace did a great job there at times.

Whilst we were awesome towards the end of the Macs first season now, we were never as good again, especially when Thorne was injured in pre-season.

We were never bottlers or had mental issues or were scarred from Zamora. We just had a thin squad in vital places.

It seems so obvious now, when we have lots of options in attacking positions and some solid, experienced midfielders in Hudds, Ledley and Johnson with Thorne to come back in at some point too.

We've got some really good players in defence and a goalkeeper too.

We've also got a manager who shares some of Nigel Clough's better qualities. He can get the team to work hard and battle when things aren't going well. They seem united and want to play for each other and he's doing this with plenty of rotation too.

It's still early days but I think the squad and manager is now much better prepared to deal with the bad runs that will come. I'm fairly confident we'll be in and around the playoffs at the end of the season.

Same back 7.

Can't drop Johnson if he's been as good as people say in the two away games. Likewise Winnall.

Johnny Russell back in as he was on fire before the injury. Lawrence to the bench as it's not quite happening. Chris Martin because reasons.

Vydra and Lawrence to add a heap of flair off the bench last 30 if we aren't winning.

Or ask me again in ten minutes and I'll completely contradict myself.

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He doesn't need a kick up the arse he needs encouragement & reassurance. Big money move for a young(ish) player into an experienced squad. He's a class player and given a bit more time it probably become our most exciting player.

He looks like he could be that, I grant you. 

Not really happened here for him yet though, despite his excellent YouTube reel from Ipswich.

Sooner or later he's going to have to grab the bull by the horns, if he's going to have an impact.

Right now he looks lightweight and ineffectual, but promising.

Time will tell, but I wouldn't be adverse to him sitting out a few matches if personnel allows.

32 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'd drop Lawrence.

I totally agree and I like the idea of jR and Bradley wide but we can forget it cuz GR won’t drop him as he is a creative menace even if the end product ain’t there yet. He did have end product at Ipswich so it must be in there somewhere ... 

8 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I totally agree and I like the idea of jR and Bradley wide but we can forget it cuz GR won’t drop him as he is a creative menace even if the end product ain’t there yet. He did have end product at Ipswich so it must be in there somewhere ... 

I agree he's obviously a good player, but he needs to show that for us, which I don't think he's done so far.

Doesn't mean that I think he won't be a plus in the long run, because I do, but when every other player is having to show some end product so far to keep his spot, it would seem to go against Rowetts philosophy to keep him in.

I know he drew the penalty tonight, but otherwise I felt he looked ineffective, even from deadball situations. 

I'm sure he'll come good, but he's not earning his spot on merit right now.

Archived