Now pick the team!

JG400

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ninos said:

No idea. How do you drop Winnall now? Think he will revert to Vyds and Nuge - and Hudds is lucky that he’ll be starting again. I’d put Thorne in but he won’t. Don’t think russell will get his spot back from Bradley either. When they’re all busting a gut for the Rams GR has hard choices ahead ... but he will go more expansive and creative attacking at home. 

Why is Huddlestone lucky, out of interest? He made a mistake tonight for the first goal, imo, but he also sent Forsyth through to create our goal. I don't think Huddlestone has done that much wrong personally.

He'll stick with Martin and Winnall. Winnall's clearly earnt a starting place.

If he's going to play Martin I hope he doesn't keep with Johnson at LM, we've finally got a striker playing who can get our wingers more involved in the goals, it's a waste to not give Weimann/Lawrence a chance to play there. Hopefully Russell's back so we can go with Russell on the right and Lawrence on the left again.

Moving Johnson back to DM means we've got a bit more mobility in midfield too, less chance of us having a situation like the goal tonight. Ledley's done his job admirably but I worry about that midfield pairing. It's not great when we need to push on and get a goal at home, something which we haven't had to worry about against Weds and Forest. Doubt we'll get that lucky again on Saturday.

I have a feeling that front two is going to rotate all season. We haven't even seen Martin/Nugent or Martin/Vydra yet.

36 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Why is Huddlestone lucky, out of interest? He made a mistake tonight for the first goal, imo, but he also sent Forsyth through to create our goal. I don't think Huddlestone has done that much wrong personally.

That wasnt the extent of his game ... I think he’s far too cumbersome and quick players move past him easily. He lost the ball for the goal and fluffed an easy tackle which led to them missing another. He was then daydreaming after a tackle which caused them to dart off with the ball. First half he was a major reason we were both bad and boring. Yes he stepped up more in the second half and made a few good passes and defended aerial bombardments well but having said all that I’ll defer to the master tactician Gary Rowett ... so whoever he wants I’m good with. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

That wasnt the extent of his game ... I think he’s far too cumbersome and quick players move past him easily. He lost the ball for the goal and fluffed an easy tackle which led to them missing another. He was then daydreaming after a tackle which caused them to dart off with the ball. First half he was a major reason we were both bad and boring. Yes he stepped up more in the second half and made a few good passes and defended aerial bombardments well but having said all that I’ll defer to the master tactician Gary Rowett ... so whoever he wants I’m good with. :thumbsup:

He was also one of the main reasons we defended as compactly as we did. He was immense in the air, and he led from the middle. I'm not sure it's a fair comment, but if that's your view I respect that. 

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He doesn't need a kick up the arse he needs encouragement & reassurance. Big money move for a young(ish) player into an experienced squad. He's a class player and given a bit more time it probably become our most exciting player.

....and he delivers good dead balls which sooner or later will get us a goal. 

On hudds ,the game is 90 mins and it's much more than stand out mistakes( we fans remember them bits) it how you react to them and what you do over the whole game ,, yes toms mistake gave the goal away but as someone above has said he played a part in our goal and defended high balls well ,,,he is a part of a winning team 

oh and is rowett up to the job ,, oh yes yes yes ,, I also think comparisons with billy davies team are wide of the mark ,,, this team is not 1-0 merchants , two goals each game away from home in the last two with chances created for more tells you that 

this is a team being built on basics first , hard work and character but there's more to us than that once they are put in place , we may have seemed dour and negative when putting a stop to the away thumpings but we are advancing ,

its early days and we are not nailed on promotion candidates yet but I like what rowett is doing and want him given enough time to rebuild the ethos at the club the way he is doing

1 hour ago, archied said:

On hudds ,the game is 90 mins and it's much more than stand out mistakes( we fans remember them bits) it how you react to them and what you do over the whole game ,, yes toms mistake gave the goal away but as someone above has said he played a part in our goal and defended high balls well ,,,he is a part of a winning team 

oh and is rowett up to the job ,, oh yes yes yes ,, I also think comparisons with billy davies team are wide of the mark ,,, this team is not 1-0 merchants , two goals each game away from home in the last two with chances created for more tells you that 

this is a team being built on basics first , hard work and character but there's more to us than that once they are put in place , we may have seemed dour and negative when putting a stop to the away thumpings but we are advancing ,

its early days and we are not nailed on promotion candidates yet but I like what rowett is doing and want him given enough time to rebuild the ethos at the club the way he is doing

100% the bold bit. I have read a few times now that this team is similar to the Davies team.........No way Jose'

20 hours ago, JG400 said:

Vydra in for who , it difficult to drop Winnall , but can Vydra play in the same team and what about Nugent seems harsh to drop him if he is well

Yes it would be harsh to drop Winnall. However,  Rowett doesn't seem bogged down with the 'stick with a winning team' theory, so I expect a change or two in the forward options. 

20 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I'd drop Lawrence.

I know he won a penalty tonight, won being the operative word, but I don't think it would do him any harm in the long run to feel he's not the automatic first name on the team sheet.

He's flattered to deceive so far, I just think to know he can be dropped may give him the kick up the arse he might need.

Although injuries may prevent this at this time, he's not doing enough to justify automatic inclusion atm.

I don’t agree he gives us something different and at last we have someone who can deliver a good corner

8 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

I don’t agree he gives us something different and at last we have someone who can deliver a good corner

He's certainly better on a set piece than many recently, I agree.

I'm fairly sure he'll come good eventually, but on current efforts I'm not convinced he's starting games on merit alone.

Vydra and Nugent back in at home ....☺️...if no midweek game Nugent should start...if it was midweek then rest Nugent and Vydra for Martin and Winnall as at Leeds  ...makes sense ... Nugents goal against Norwich was fantastic and we currently have 4 great forwards who offer different options which is a major plus !! ?? ....I'm quite gutted we don't have option to buy Winnall because we are currently adding value to his price tag ...an option to buy would've been great 

Just now, ossieram said:

How long does he have on his contract with the wendies?

I'm not sure but wasn't he a recent signing for them for 500k?? He works so hard in the game and really is a player who can finish ... the first goal against Leeds looked simple and was a fantastic cross from Fozzy but if you watch his double movement to get in front of the defender it was fantastic ... all of our strikers are different and yet can see all of them contributing massively this season ...  Nugents body shape and the way he took the ball and scored against Norwich was superb ....our strikers could really be a handful this season ....??

An added advantage of our difficultis in deciding who to play up there is that the opposing manager won't know how to set up to nullify the strike force until an hour before kick off. 

In previous seasons we have been a bit predictable - stop Martin and Ince and you stop our threat. Now they don't even know what the threat is going to look like until the last minute! 

Archived