Unbeaten in 6, won last 3, outside playoffs on goal difference

Carl Sagan

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Wouldn’t argue with that based upon the last 3 performances especially yesterday which I would say was one of the best managerial tactical performances I have seen of late at the club.  

Nice that Gary had the intelligence tactically to change Vydra for Martin at HT  and great to see Winnall get the winner . 

Gary always has a difficult team selection and it’s difficult to keep all the squad happy but the players seem to buying into it now. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope expectations don't soar too high now that we've found some form. I can see the scenario again were we start to look like promotion contenders only to miss out near the end in this highly competitive league. Thus, prompting some fans to bemoan our squad of 'bottlers' and to call for a clear-out of players, the sacking of Rowett, and the trial and imprisonment of Richard Keogh.

I think a top 6 finish should be considered a decent effort this season, especially if we see a gradual improvement in the level of performance as the season wears on. If they manage that, I think the management team and squad will have done a good job all round, regardless of how the play-offs go.

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

That’s the championship for you, and that’s why it’s the best league in the world for excitement in my opinion.

Im ready for the Prem now though, it’s taken awhile to get rid of the fear of going back up though.  I think we have a better chance with this owner.

Have you actually watched any other league? Or do you just say it’s the best league in the world because Derby are in it and you are familiar with the rest of the teams?

Heard this comment a lot. I mean, for instance, why is the Championship any better than the Mexican league?

The Mexican League arguably has better players, more fans go to the games, they’ve got plenty of classicos such as Chivas/America, Cruz Azul/America, Chivas/Atlas, Monterrey/Tigres etc. A different winner pretty much every year, more goals on average per game...

So what makes the Championship better? 

In terms of pure entertainment, attacking football, goals and atmosphere, I’d say the Eredivisie and Bundesliga top the lot.

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

Although I see what you are saying however I disagree, what is wrong with setting expectations if you set yourself a low target the chances are you will fail.  If an experienced and talented squad means nothing, then why assemble it in the first place ?

Burtons expectations are going to be avoiding relegation again, ours should be, which has been echoed by the manager top 6, I will as always enjoy the ride, however don’t agree that for example last season was a good ride.

If you set yourself a low target the chances are you will fail?? Surely you are more likely to succeed 

10 minutes ago, Doodle said:

If you set yourself a low target the chances are you will fail?? Surely you are more likely to succeed 

Depends on your mindset, if the target is set at mid table then what might be as a success in your eyes could be seen as a failure against your capabilities by others.

It’s often a trait with people with talent to pick the easy option to ensure they never fail, where as people with not as much natural talent often achieve more because they set their mind to be the best they can by not settling for an easy option.  The 2012 oplymic team was a good example of this, their mentality coach helped them by achieving such a good haul by challenging their mindset and what they could actually achieve as opposed to what they thought they could.  

And if all goes wrong, you can always blame the fans and forums ? 

29 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

In terms of pure entertainment, attacking football, goals and atmosphere, I’d say the Eredivisie and Bundesliga top the lot.

Football is about winning. The main prize in the Championship is massive. Competing in the league for that prize is what makes the Championship better.

37 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Eredivisie?

not a great league. 

33 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Have you actually watched any other league? Or do you just say it’s the best league in the world because Derby are in it and you are familiar with the rest of the teams?

Heard this comment a lot. I mean, for instance, why is the Championship any better than the Mexican league?

The Mexican League arguably has better players, more fans go to the games, they’ve got plenty of classicos such as Chivas/America, Cruz Azul/America, Chivas/Atlas, Monterrey/Tigres etc. A different winner pretty much every year, more goals on average per game...

Is the Mexican league a professional set up? I think Tito villa went there didn’t he and scored a shed load of goals, tells you all you need to know about the quality. 

We have a starting point now ,,, what rowett has done is change the mindset at the club,, you can see that in the response to the big loss to Bristol ,,,, hard fought ( some say dour) draws away at Brentford , Cardiff have turned into hard fought not so dour away win at Norwich ,, yep the mindset has changed ,, players have to work very hard to keep their place or earn a place and they have to do the job the manager wants them to do and rowett clearly is the manager with no more whiff of player power ,, talent and ability is great and will be rewarded but only if accompanied by hard work and character ,,,, saw it stated before that rowett wasn't up to the job because he didn't give a start to our best player Martin,,, that's precisely why he IS up to the job,, he is brave enough to field what he believes will be the best team for the job at hand and as a side I'm willing to bet that martin will improve his form back to the player he was because of it and will get his share of starts over the season ,,, I'm not some fool that thinks one good win means we are all of a sudden fantastic team again but I really feel rowett is the man for the job and given time will get our club right

Its pleasing to hear that we we were more attacking v norwich. 

We've had a bit of luck with a couple of penalty shouts in the last few games.

nevertheless if we can sustain this form it will show real progress since Ledley arrived to help repair a broken midfield.

38 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Eredivisie?

not a great league. 

But what isn’t great about it? The quality of play? The standard?

Does the Championship really have a good standard of football? Most teams play transitional percentage football. Hardly good in the eye.

38 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Depends on your mindset, if the target is set at mid table then what might be as a success in your eyes could be seen as a failure against your capabilities by others.

It’s often a trait with people with talent to pick the easy option to ensure they never fail, where as people with not as much natural talent often achieve more because they set their mind to be the best they can by not settling for an easy option.  The 2012 oplymic team was a good example of this, their mentality coach helped them by achieving such a good haul by challenging their mindset and what they could actually achieve as opposed to what they thought they could.  

And if all goes wrong, you can always blame the fans and forums ? 

Sorry Adam, but I think you misunderstood my point. I’m not saying we should set a low target because we shouldn’t. But setting la low target almost guarantees success. People should set realistic targets, then success if easier to gauge. If set too high then you are likely to fail, if set too low you will fail to inspire  I think with a new manager, we should aim to be top 8 this year then top 4 next year and top 2 year after. Realistic and achievable in my opinion  

38 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Is the Mexican league a professional set up? I think Tito villa went there didn’t he and scored a shed load of goals, tells you all you need to know about the quality. 

Yes the Mexican League is professional. Some quality players play here, some quality players played here which now play for top European teams.

Tito Villa had a good season or two here. Don’t think you can really draw comparisons on that. Albentosa is a solid La Liga defender, barely looked the part in the Championship. 

It’s just a bizarre comment to claim something is the best just because you know it.

It would be like me saying Crete IMO is the best holiday destination in the world. There are hundreds of holiday destinations I will never go to or have any knowledge on, so how can one claim it’s the best?

I'm enjoying this a lot more than I did before. Lowering expectations has made the playoffs feel exciting again.

A year ago, when we were saying top 6 was the minimum expectation, this position in the league would be nothing special to us. 

This season it feels like something to cheer for. A bonus when I expected so little. 

19 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Sorry Adam, but I think you misunderstood my point. I’m not saying we should set a low target because we shouldn’t. But setting la low target almost guarantees success. People should set realistic targets, then success if easier to gauge. If set too high then you are likely to fail, if set too low you will fail to inspire  I think with a new manager, we should aim to be top 8 this year then top 4 next year and top 2 year after. Realistic and achievable in my opinion  

I think we may have to disagree on this one doodle :-)

We may as well finish 18th as 8th, lets say we are 8th in the last game of the season, a draw will see us cement that place however a win takes us into the play offs -  do you sit back and say actually I’m happy with 8th so I’ll take the point ? An extreme example I know, but I can’t understand why people regard failure as a bad thing, if you learn from it and improve there is nothing wrong with targeting the best you can achieve.

One other question, regarding GR being a new manager, how many and I genuinely don’t know the answer to this, also in the top 12 have a manger in their first season and do you think they have ask set a target to the top 8 - is a top 6 finish only realistic if you have a manager that’s been at the club for several years?

9 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I think we may have to disagree on this one doodle :-)

We may as well finish 18th as 8th, lets say we are 8th in the last game of the season, a draw will see us cement that place however a win takes us into the play offs -  do you sit back and say actually I’m happy with 8th so I’ll take the point ? An extreme example I know, but I can’t understand why people regard failure as a bad thing, if you learn from it and improve there is nothing wrong with targeting the best you can achieve.

One other question, regarding GR being a new manager, how many and I genuinely don’t know the answer to this, also in the top 12 have a manger in their first season and do you think they have ask set a target to the top 8 - is a top 6 finish only realistic if you have a manager that’s been at the club for several years?

That’s just silly. If we finish 8 th then Gary keeps his job. If we finish 18 th he will be sacked. 

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Gary Rowett's black and white army goes marching on and it looks as if happy days may be just around the corner. What a simply beautiful goal that was by David Nugent. 

If Villa lose by two or more goals away at Brum today, we'll rise into the playoffs! And everyone had an extra hour in bed. What's not to like? 

Bring on the dirty Leeds! 

Absolutely. Now these highly rated players have show what they can do under Rowett in last 3 games, every reason to expect a promotion push this season. 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yes the Mexican League is professional. Some quality players play here, some quality players played here which now play for top European teams.

Tito Villa had a good season or two here. Don’t think you can really draw comparisons on that. Albentosa is a solid La Liga defender, barely looked the part in the Championship. 

It’s just a bizarre comment to claim something is the best just because you know it.

It would be like me saying Crete IMO is the best holiday destination in the world. There are hundreds of holiday destinations I will never go to or have any knowledge on, so how can one claim it’s the best?

Crete is lovely, but look maybe it's just his opinion it's the best based on what he's seen. There are hundreds of leagues but based on what he thinks, it's the best. Stop banging on about it

The only league with Derby County in it is the Championship, therefore it is by far the most important and prestigious league in world football.

On ambition, aim for the stars (top 2), and if you fall short you may end up on the moon (play offs).

Nice all dayer today.

Anyone else think we have been a bit fortunate recently?

Forest out played us after we scored.

With us winning 1-0, Wednesday should have had a penalty, and possibly a sending off for Fozzy.

Same again with Norwich should have had a penalty, Carson maybe off, had a shot against the bar and mm from crossing the line, another Carson save on the line..... i could go on.

We arent having penalties awarded against us at the moment, but we seem to be getting plenty.

Our luck cant stay like this forever, surely?

Archived