Lithuania v England

froggg

Just now, Boycie said:

I think we ought to keep them here next summer, send one of the home countries that don’t qualify instead. 

We all know it’s not good enough, Germany and Brazil up next..

Germany will play the reserves,  England will promote a few bright young things from the U21s and we get a good performance and result.

Cue the false optimism as Cahill,   Henderson,  Chamberlain et al are restored to the squad for the inevitable dismal collapse at the tournament. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the turn of the millennium, France, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Italy, Russia, Holland, Greece, Czech Republic, Turkey and Wales have all reached at least the semi-finals of a major.

That's 11 teams that have gone further than England and you can add Croatia, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Poland and Ukraine that have at least matched our best effort of a 1/4 place.

We are a very average footballing nation so going undefeated and winning our group deserves a pat on the back I'd say.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

We are a very average footballing nation so going undefeated and winning our group deserves a pat on the back I'd say.

Really? When it includes slovakia, slovenia, scotland, Lithuania and Malta?

Whipping boys.

these are meaningless qualification groups. Easy games for the top nations. 

11 hours ago, Boycie said:

I think we ought to keep them here next summer, send one of the home countries that don’t qualify instead. 

We all know it’s not good enough, Germany and Brazil up next..

We tend to do in friendlies though - I wouldn't be surprised if we won both of them. However as soon as it becomes competitive both of those teams will smash England to pieces.

5 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

How much of this do we lay at Southgate's door? He is about as inspiring as the colour beige and hasn't done very well in any of the jobs he has previously held.

I think we could give him the Brazilian squad and he would still have them playing mind numbing sideways plodding crap.

He is incredibly boring but the players are average at best.

We need a coach to make the best of a bad job. Not one whose main qualification is that he is English.

When  Brian Clough was at Derby, after one of the typical street-brawls aka Scotland v England, he said something to the effect that 'I should be able to hold my club side up to England and say 'Play like that'. The reality is.....'

Nothing's changed.

32 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

He is incredibly boring but the players are average at best.

We need a coach to make the best of a bad job. Not one whose main qualification is that he is English.

I don't buy in to the players being boring. The likes of Ali, Kane, Sterling and Rashford are actually very good , young and energetic. Look at the way they play for their clubs. 

I think part of the problem is that when you play for the likes of Guardiola, Pochettino and Mourinho on a weekly basis it is a bit of a bore when you have to spend two weeks with the likes of Southgate and formerly Hodgson who in comparison are boring and tactically rigid.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

Whipping boys.

So they have done what is expected and qualified, you have to congratulate them on doing that, could have done better probably....could have done worse, most definitely.

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Since the turn of the millennium, France, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Italy, Russia, Holland, Greece, Czech Republic, Turkey and Wales have all reached at least the semi-finals of a major.

That's 11 teams that have gone further than England and you can add Croatia, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Poland and Ukraine that have at least matched our best effort of a 1/4 place.

I’m sure a few of them would trade their semi finals in for a crack at the WC in Russia this year.  Living in the past is like being a forest fan.

Moan moan moan here take my advice and don't watch it if you don't like it. 

Vilnius is decent and so if you want to see the place then go, plenty things to do there. 

P.S LOL at Scotland ????????????????????????????????????????????????

47 minutes ago, DEL said:

Moan moan moan here take my advice and don't watch it if you don't like it. 

Vilnius is decent and so if you want to see the place then go, plenty things to do there. 

P.S LOL at Scotland ????????????????????????????????????????????????

Apart from the nice bits of Vilnius  (lots of history in Lithuania ), did you enjoy the game DEL?

Cos it looked tough going. 

10 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

How much of this do we lay at Southgate's door? He is about as inspiring as the colour beige and hasn't done very well in any of the jobs he has previously held.

I think we could give him the Brazilian squad and he would still have them playing mind numbing sideways plodding crap.

I didn't watch either England  game because i find International football pretty boring, but i would question why play with two holding midfielders aginst cr@p teams. That seems to be a factor in why we would end up passing it around in the wrong areas.  Get more attackers on the pitch. Take a lesson from Pep.

The England U21's manager role is a sop to people who are seen as good eggs but have failed so abysmally in club management they will never be able to get another job. Perhaps it's the old codgers at the FA remembering the equally hopeless manager Bobby Chalton who ended up being half-decent with the kids through his "soccer school". 

If you then promote them to the senior team you get what you deserve which is football so dire, we find ourselves fondly recalling the halcyon days under Roy Hodgson. The media is partly to blame, clamouring for Southgate's permanent appointment after an epic 2-0 home win against the mighty Malta. 

I was I  Marseille for the Russia game in the Euros and after witnessing the Russian ultras on the rampage while French police did nothing,  I took the decision there's no way in hell I'm going to the World Cup as I might not come back and almost certainly not in one piece. At least if Southgate's in charge I know I shan't be missing anything. 

58 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

At least if Southgate's in charge I know I shan't be missing anything. 

I wouldn't say that - Germany and Brazil play some pretty entertaining stuff. We might not be up to much, but it's still quite the experience to see some of the best players in the world put 5 or 6 past our pub team. 

Having said that - I expect the Russian police to do even less than the French - would not recommend anyone goes to watch this world cup in person

16 hours ago, RamNut said:

Whipping boys.

Are you saying England is a top footballing nation? I don't think we will stand much hope against any of the qualified teams at the moment and that includes Iran and the Saudis.

Archived