Chris Baird

DarkFruitsRam7

Never understood the vitriol he received when he first came in and he proves people wrong every time he plays. I don't think I've ever actually seen him play badly? Perfect player to have in the squad, as he can play all across the back four and in the middle if necessary, plus he adds experience and just quietly gets on with his job.

Absolutely love Wisdom but I won't be shedding tears if he has to miss the odd game knowing Baird can fill in. Most underrated player in the squad for me.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep an eye out when they update the player profile pages on the club site, imagine there will be a few passes on there which will be worth watching again.

If Wisdom needed any reminder his place isn’t guaranteed in this team, tonight was it.

Still don’t think he’s aged as well as I have though, he’s a day older than me yet I look a good 5 years younger at least.

11 minutes ago, David said:

Keep an eye out when they update the player profile pages on the club site, imagine there will be a few passes on there which will be worth watching again.

If Wisdom needed any reminder his place isn’t guaranteed in this team, tonight was it.

Still don’t think he’s aged as well as I have though, he’s a day older than me yet I look a good 5 years younger at least.

He looks like an extra from Trainspotting.

Which makes his reading of the game, and his positioning within it, even more impressive.

People criticised him when playing at defensive mid. To be fair, when he first joined everyone was calling him the new eustace and then he had a mare against mk dons which led to fans hating on him. Right back has always been his best position for me. I'd keep him another year after this year if he's willing to.

He's a right back, end of, a good one to!

If my memory serves me right he made either his debut or full start debut in a FA cup final for Saints in the early 2000s

This midfield stuff is a international desperation task set by NI in previous campaigns which had relative success

He was pretty good last season but that performance this evening was superb. Before the game I was lamenting the omission of our best player so far this season and after the game I was doubting whether he'd get his spot back when he feels better. Baird looked like he was 25 not 35. 

He just seems to be at the right place at the right time. That Polish left winger is a decent player, but Chris showed how an experienced right back can nullify the danger. 

Great pro and still capable at championship level. Good to have 2 decent right backs. 

2 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

He just seems to be at the right place at the right time. That Polish left winger is a decent player, but Chris showed how an experienced right back can nullify the danger. 

Great pro and still capable at championship level. Good to have 2 decent right backs. 

Decent would be putting it too mildly. From their combined but limited performances so far this season, we've struck gold in that position with these two.

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Decent would be putting it too mildly. From their combined but limited performances so far this season, we've struck gold in that position with these two.

We need a radical formation that incorporates 2 right backs!

Tonight, yet again I doff my cap to Chris Baird. In Mel's tenure, he's been so in the shadow of "sexier" higher price tag recruits, when certain supporters see old school solid performers as "yesterday's man" in the clamour for swashbuckling Championship players who they believe can get us up and compete in the Premier League should we get there.

Without a smattering of Baird type players, no team in our league can get promoted. The " water carriers " if you like, that allow the flair players to flourish.   

He's not without flair himself - defends like a Trojan and often delivers a killer pass coming out of defence into midfield, that launches our attacking players into an ultimately goal scoring situation.

Yes, Wisdom is a fabulous addition to this year's squad, but Baird has skills that even Wisdom doesn't possess.

He's been a great servant to our club, often un-fancied and un-picked by a succession of managers, but I'm delighted that, at last, most fans are appreciating what he lends to our team  and giving him credit for the exceptional professional he is.

Often I've heard the line " Oh God, with injury to... "X"  we'll have to limp along with Baird". Well I hope those short-sighted doomsayers who wanted us to sign Cafu if we had a short-term full back injury crisis are eating their words 

He's never moaned or sulked when not selected - and now - in the twilight of his career he's performing as well as ever. 

Sir, you are a solid, dependable professional and I salute you. You've never let us down. Form is temporary, class is permanent....

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Haha, perhaps I was understating their abilities, agreed, right back is definitely looking stronger since Cyrus has moved on. 

Archived