17/18 Loan Watch

California Ram.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back from the match. Swindon lost 3-1, unfortunately.  Kellan Gordon played about 75 minutes, last sub to be made, took a bit of a knock and they subbed him straight away. 

He looked good on the ball but a bit lightweight at times, mind you there are some lumps playing at that level!  Always loozed to take his full back on or make a pass. 

His best moment was probably when he nutmegged the Coventry full back and put a lovely cross in early second half. 

Swindon had a lot of chances but they do look weak in midfield. Got chatting to three Swindon season tcket holders at half time and they can't wait for Elsnik to get back fit - say he's their best midfielder. They also asked me to tell David Flitcroft on Monday night to get them to play more on the deck ( there was a lot of hoofball from their defenders today!) As I won't be there maybe someone else can pass the message on.

Mind you, there was no point in playing it on the floor today as the Coventry pitch is dreadful. That's what you get for sharing a rugby club's ground. 

Lovely tribute to Cyrille Regis before, during game and at half time. And in the programme. Good stuff, what a hero he was! 

Having read the paper review of Grimsby's performance, seems like he's been the best player on the pitch for two games running! Seems a talent

51 minutes ago, angieram said:

Nice post from Ben Davies about Charlie Vernam.

Unfortunate photo.

looks like he's got his hand on Ben Davies's........

52 minutes ago, angieram said:

Nice post from Ben Davies about Charlie Vernam.

It's a lovely tweet but didn't ring true with me so I googled and that bastion of the truth, dcfcfans.uk, claims he was 16 when we signed him from Scunny!  ?

[I hope the link embeds properly if only for the splendid Ssausagehorpe] 

32 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's a lovely tweet but didn't ring true with me so I googled and that bastion of the truth, dcfcfans.uk, claims he was 16 when we signed him from Scunny!  ?

[I hope the link embeds properly if only for the splendid Ssausagehorpe] 

His 16th birthday was under 4 weeks earlier than when he officially signed. There’s a chance we had him on trial or what not, before his birthday, so may have been 15 when first at Derby 

Town were positive from the off and nearly all that was good about them going forward was due to new signing, Charles Vernam.

Despite only playing two games so far since his arrival, I really believe that the loanee's youthful exuberance, and attack-minded approach, has been a breath of fresh air to this Town side.

Vernam constantly looks to get involved and receive the ball early to feet before turning quickly in order to look to make things happen which appears to have really rubbed off on his colleagues.

His willingness to get his shots away early has been refreshing to site after a number of players have recently appeared to have lacked the confidence to try their luck when they have found themselves in promising positions.

Full story http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/grimsby-town-still-need-sign-1109828

This is really what you want to see from loanees. This is what you see about loaned players who've gone on to successful careers. I don't recall seeing such enthusiasm, from the club as well as fans, about any of our loaned youngsters.

Obviously, the Elsnik stuff is of no surprise to me, his personal train driver. But I'm pleased that Vernam is doing so well. I don't think it will be long before we're hearing similar things about Lowe, if he can stay fit.

I always thought Southampton had a successful youth policy, and you can see the same thing with the gumps, because it was driven out of necessity (when you're down in League One or not allowed to buy in players). The problem for us, when we've consistently been pushing for promotion these past few years, is finding a pathway to develop our youth for the first team (or to sell on to pay for the academy). It's an incredibly difficult balance to strike. This season's loan policy seems quite an aggressive new approach to get players out there and prove themselves, rather than have them reach the glass ceiling of U23 football only to be released.

Vernam's only played a couple of games, but now is the chance for him and the others to seize this opportunity and make Rowett sit up and take notice. Before we bought him as a 16 year old from Scunny he'd been over in Italy having trials with AC Milan, so he clearly has good pedigree. If Elsnick and Lowe stay fit they're going to impress too. It's got to be up to the others to do the same, or in the brutal world of youth footbal they'll end up being released or, at best, getting a lower league deal.

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I always thought Southampton had a successful youth policy, and you can see the same thing with the gumps, because it was driven out of necessity (when you're down in League One or not allowed to buy in players). The problem for us, when we've consistently been pushing for promotion these past few years, is finding a pathway to develop our youth for the first team (or to sell on to pay for the academy). It's an incredibly difficult balance to strike. This season's loan policy seems quite an aggressive new approach to get players out there and prove themselves, rather than have them reach the glass ceiling of U23 football only to be released.

Vernam's only played a couple of games, but now is the chance for him and the others to seize this opportunity and make Rowett sit up and take notice. Before we bought him as a 16 year old from Scunny he'd been over in Italy having trials with AC Milan, so he clearly has good pedigree. If Elsnick and Lowe stay fit they're going to impress too. It's got to be up to the others to do the same, or in the brutal world of youth footbal they'll end up being released or, at best, getting a lower league deal.

I suspect we have loaned them out on the cheap to actually find out if they can do it in first team football which I think is very sensible ( obviously I don’t mean shackell Blackman Butterfield which is like a re finance deal)

33 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Spotted this on Elsnik, just thought it was an interesting view from a Swindon fan.

Tbf, I'd expect the best U23 at an aspiring PL club to be the best player in a league 2 side.

Good to see he's being recognised as such though.

Sending our youngsters out to play mans football has got to be a good thing. I've no doubt there are a few of them capable of making the step up  to our first team. This gives them the opportunity to prove it.

forest have been in the position where they have had to play there youngsters and it's paid off with big money moves for a few.  I hope our policy is to have at least 1 or 2 under 23's in the match day squad going forward from next season.

Archived