17/18 Loan Watch

California Ram.

Max Lowe again only on the bench for Shrewsbury for the second leg of their playoff at home to Charlton. Didn't get on in the first leg. It's great he's managed to stay fit and has had quite a few games, but disappointing he's not been able to make the position his own.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Max Lowe again only on the bench for Shrewsbury for the second leg of their playoff at home to Charlton. Didn't get on in the first leg. It's great he's managed to stay fit and has had quite a few games, but disappointing he's not been able to make the position his own.

Yes fair point. If he can't force his way in to the the Shrewsbury team, he is not, as some have suggested, likely to make the starting line up at Derby. 

13 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes fair point. If he can't force his way in to the the Shrewsbury team, he is not, as some have suggested, likely to make the starting line up at Derby. 

They've qualified so at least he'll be on the bench at Wembley and may even get on. He has played 16 times, 9 of them league starts and 2 more starts in cup games, so he has had decent game time. But when it counts it doesn't seem as if he's first choice and in the run-up none of the fans suggested he was ever likely to be picked for the playoffs.

Perhaps the manager thinks he has to be loyal to the players who will be there next season, a little like Rowett's apparent reluctance to play Palmer?

But the Olsson injury means a decision over that position will have to be made. Or maybe Andi Weimann will make that spot his own?

Sounds like Macdonald had a good experience at Barrow - the bit of him I saw on tv for them he looked to have a bit about him. 

“I really improved my game management,” Macdonald explained.

“I was physically dealing with people who are grown men, who are fully developed, strong players. I had to learn to work around and play against these players if I couldn’t mash them physically.”

He added: “It was also hard dealing with mistakes. In the Under-23s for example, you can make a mistake but still play well, that’s not the case when you are on loan.

“If you play well but make a mistake it is irrelevant how you played for the other 89 minutes, that mistake is the one thing people will focus on.

“That’s something you need adapt to, staying switched on for the whole game.”

Macdonald managed to pack his six-month spell full of lessons and experiences to help propel his career. Something he will always be grateful to Barrow for.

“I’ll always look out for them because that was my first club. I will always remember them.”

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/05/macdonald-thrived-in-relegation-battle-on-loan-at-barrow

On 13/05/2018 at 23:08, Carl Sagan said:

They've qualified so at least he'll be on the bench at Wembley and may even get on. He has played 16 times, 9 of them league starts and 2 more starts in cup games, so he has had decent game time. But when it counts it doesn't seem as if he's first choice and in the run-up none of the fans suggested he was ever likely to be picked for the playoffs.

Perhaps the manager thinks he has to be loyal to the players who will be there next season, a little like Rowett's apparent reluctance to play Palmer?

But the Olsson injury means a decision over that position will have to be made. Or maybe Andi Weimann will make that spot his own?

Watched the play off final yesterday , player called Beckles played left back , he looked pretty awful and was cover for their usual leftback so Lowe was at least only third choice

32 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Watched the play off final yesterday , player called Beckles played left back , he looked pretty awful and was cover for their usual leftback so Lowe was at least only third choice

Think he was played for his height and physicality against a strong Rotherham forward line. It didn’t work.

If Lowe has a weakness at League One level it is his physcality - this gets a bit less important at higher levels but still a concern.

55 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Watched the play off final yesterday , player called Beckles played left back , he looked pretty was awful and was cover for their usual leftback so Lowe was at least only third choice

FTFY. Worst player on the pitch IMO

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

Think he was played for his height and physicality against a strong Rotherham forward line. It didn’t work.

If Lowe has a weakness at League One level it is his physcality - this gets a bit less important at higher levels but still a concern.

He will get stronger with age too, like Will did, it's about knowing how to use your body not necessarily physical strength. Thought (the tall and supposedly athletic, but ran out of energy with at least 20 mins to go) Beckles was appalling at fullback for the Shrews. Didn't think much of the manager who played the long ball most of the game to two small (compared to the Rotherham centre halves anyway) strikers, and then didn't throw Beckles up front until about the last 30 seconds. But I bet Lowe like Zanzala will have gained from the experience though.

On 21/05/2018 at 22:27, RoyMac5 said:

Sounds like Macdonald had a good experience at Barrow - the bit of him I saw on tv for them he looked to have a bit about him. 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/05/macdonald-thrived-in-relegation-battle-on-loan-at-barrow

It would of been a good experience for Macdonald at Barrow. It was a very poor season for Barrow nearly relegated. Couple of lads at work said he had some decent performances.

Archived