17/18 - Summer Transfer Window

Day

17/18 - Summer Transfer Window  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. That's my thoughts.

Couple of good players in, couple of good players out.

Bought some players that don't add much and sold some players we won't miss. 

Obviously this is based on limited knowledge of those coming in. We'll see. 

Put this sumary together for a post just like this, but @David beat me to it:

GK: Scott Carson, Jonathan Mitchell, Kelle Roos

RB: Andre Wisdom, Chris Baird

CB: Richard Keogh, Curtis Davies, Jason Shackell, Alex Pearce, Jamie Hanson

LB: Craig Forsyth, Max Lowe, Marcus Olsson

RM: Andreas Weimann

CM: George Thorne, Bradley Johnson, Tom Huddlestone, Maikel Kieftenbeld.

LM: Ikechi Anya, Johnny Russell, Tom Lawrence

ST: Sam Winnall, Chris Martin, Darren Bent, David Nugent, Matej Vydra, Mason Bennett

(Current squad: 27)

INS: Curtis Davies (500k), Andre Wisdom (£2-4m), Tom Huddlestone (£2m), Tom Lawrence (£7m), Sam Winnall (LOAN), Maikel Kieftenbeld (£300K).

Total current estimated spend: £13.8m

OUTS: Will Hughes (£4-9m), Abdoul Camara (free) Tom Ince (£11.5m) Cyrus Christie (£2.5m) Nick Blackman (LOAN), Timi Max Elsnik (LOAN), Kellan Gordon (LOAN), Farrend Rawson (LOAN), Jacob Butterfield (LOAN), Craig Bryson (LOAN).

Total current estimated profit: £23m

PLAYERS LINKED TO SIGN: Dominic Iorfa (Wolves), Andy Yiadom (Barnsley), Aden Flint (Bristol City), Grant Hanley (Newcastle United), Jackson Irvine (Burton Albion), Marvin Johnson (Oxford United), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), George Boyd (Burnley), Joe Ledley (Crystal Palace), Solly March (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ollie Watkins (Exeter City), Jordan Ibe (Bournemouth), Marcus Maddison (Peterborough United), Steve Caulker (QPR), Michael Hefele (Huddersfield Town), Jake Buxton (Free Agent), Ben Kennedy (Stevenage), Bartosz Salamon (Cagliari), George Thomas (Coventry), Jota (Brentford), Valentin Rongier (FC Nantes), Scott Arfield (Burnley), Modou Barrow (Swansea City), Ryan Kent (Liverpool), Matty James (Leicester City), Sandro Semedo (Leyton Orient), Grant Leadbitter (Middlesbrough), Cameron Brannagan (Liverpool), Jon Toral (Arsenal), Sheyi Ojo (Liverpool), Ross McCormack (Aston Villa), Callum Robinson (Preston North End), Ademola Lookman (Everton), Sam Field (West Brom), Che Adams (Birmingham City), Sam Gallagher (Southampton), Callum McManaman (West Bromwich Albion), Tomer Hemed (Brighton), Cameron Jerome (Norwich City), David Davis (Birmingham City).

PLAYERS LINKED TO LEAVE: Richard Keogh, Jason Shackell, Andreas Weimann, Darren Bent, Bradley Johnson, Marcus Olsson, Callum Guy, Ikechi Anya.

*Apologies for any mistakes in there*

I think it was an alright transfer window. Lower fees than expected dominated it. We sold Hughes and Ince for lower than I would have expected us to have got for them. Pretty much every player we signed has been of a lower value than I would expect in this market too so I guess it evens itself out.

The squad is a bit smaller, we're starting to shape up a little bit more with a squad to fit a system instead of a total mishmash. I think GR will be satisfied, but at the same time disappointed. He probably wanted to get rid of a few more and get a couple others in, but he wasn't prepared to overpay. Overpaying is the reason why some players we may have wanted to leave haven't actually left yet.

I would have liked one more winger to make me more confident of top six. Right now as the squad stands, I think we'll miss out, but we will hopefully be better in the long term with (fingers crossed) more stability and can eventually put together a squad that GR is completely happy with and we can then look to really push on.

What I don't want to see is another wasted window in the sense that we sack the manager a few months later, then get in somebody else who wants to play a different way, but doesn't have the squad to do so.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Out of interest, are you including George Thorne as the CM? 

Yeah unfortunately considering his pitch time. Think we are very light in center midfield. Hope Huddlestone stays injury and suspension free!! 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Yeah unfortunately considering his pitch time. Think we are very light in center midfield. Hope Huddlestone stays injury and suspension free!! 

Agree. I think by far we're most weak in the center of the park, I'm hoping that Kieftenbeld will be able to form a partnership with Huddlestone, as he allegedly is mobile. Do you not rate any of our wingers? Can't say I'm overly fond from what I've seen so far, I hope Lawrence will come good. 

As a cost reduction exercise, then it's got to be seen as a decent window. We managed to get rid of a few dead weights, a few top earners and some kids.

Thats all understandable.

Whether we're now a stronger team, better set up to play the way GR wants us to, I'm not so sure. We'll have to wait and see.

? 

Overall, pretty average i think. Wisdom and Davies in appears to make the defence look better (although Davies does look shaky at times). Wisdom meant shifting Christie was fine, and getting rid of Blackman and Camara + the kids on loan was good. Hughes transfer becomes more silly the more he doesn't play, very low price. Ince I was more sad to see go but 11 million is a good price. Huddlestone (and Davies) a good, cheap addition which upgraded that position for us. Lawrence a very good winger, even though we failed to bring in another and imo we are left with one side where we have to play a disctinctly average player. 

As for deadline day, just very average. Not sad to see Butters go, don't rate him, and I think Winnall is decent but do we need him?? Martin, Nuge and Bent after Christmas are all good Champ strikers, Winnall just seems unnecessary. As for Bryson out and Keiftenbeld in... sad to see Brys loaned I think it leaves us short in the middle, Keift lad is decent (and if it cost the 300k rumoured then very cheap), but again just an average championship player. 

Overall: pretty average, done on the cheap.

As others have said, it's Rowett's team and he needs time to build it to his 'spec' and style. That will probably take another couple of windows. 

For me, we still need another quality 'wide' player (depending on how the system/formation is viewed). I also think we need a little more creative quality on the ball through the middle although perhaps Rowett does not see this as a priority for his pattern of play. 

Time will tell and we will see! 

Archived