Positives

DarkFruitsRam7

Good lad BurtonRam and I don't think you had been drinking either.

41 games to go and possibly a few more transfer windows to shunt a few more in, more out and give the u23's a chance.

Actually looking forward to this next year or so right now, to see it evolve if Mel holds his nerve and continues to support Gary.

Bring on the rollercoaster ride.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Hope you haven't joined just to have a dig at Keogh. If you really think he hasn't been outstanding then you can't be watching the games. Absolute nonsense for one of your first posts.

He's been our best player so far this season

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Good lad BurtonRam and I don't think you had been drinking either.

41 games to go and possibly a few more transfer windows to shunt a few more in, more out and give the u23's a chance.

Actually looking forward to this next year or so right now, to see it evolve if Mel holds his nerve and continues to support Gary.

Bring on the rollercoaster ride.

Cheers mate. At the time of writing the post, I hadn't been drinking at all. Since then, I've been for a curry plus a few drinks so I'm primed for a drunken ramble now! COYR!

If you honestly want to put your hopes this season on passion and enthusiasm be my guest. Can't fault keoghs effort and a lot of his ability but his lapses of concentration and 'unpredictable' playing style have been our Achilles heel for a while. Out of all our defence he's the last person I'd want there because a good defence isn't about individual talents, it's consistent organisation which Keoghs unpredictability goes directly against.

He springs to mind as the direct opposite to Maldinis theory if he had to make a big impact (tackle) on the game he's done something wrong.

People saying he's the scapegoat... how many people have been scapegoated at his expense so far? Generally most haven't come from or left to bad clubs like the premiership team who many disappeared or ended up in league 2. Scapegoats in every other area of the defence are now into double figures before the fans who don't think keogh is the solution get the chance to see one way or the other.

Personally think he'd be a better dm than cb due to his ability with the ball and being slightly error prone and erratic. 

Id love to have a player at cb who is dependable and less erratic with his passion but in the absence of that I'd take Curtis Davies and Andre wisdom who although they don't go barrelling into areas they have no business being in they look relatively composed and organised at the back. 

23 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Seeing as the same old wrist-slashing threads were created straight after the final whistle yesterday, I thought I would try and see the bright side of the season so far and of being a supporter as a whole. It's really not that bad.

This is our best start to the season in the last three years. We had 4 points at this stage in both 15/16 and 16/17. 

Andre Wisdom has been an absolute beast at the back.

Richard Keogh has been outstanding and isn't getting the praise he deserves.

We're still yet to unshackle our marquee summer signing and one of the most exciting players in the Championship.

Our U23s look brilliant and some should be pushing for a spot in the squad once numbers are reduced.

George Thorne is looking good and his return is imminent.

We don't have to rush Thorne back due to the presence of Tom Huddlestone, despite the off-game yesterday.

We've got a manager who is very highly-regarded in the football world.

We're in an ultra-competitive league, which makes it highly exciting. The Championship still has an old-school feel that has long since gone from the Premier League, and for that we should be grateful. 

We're all alive supporting the Rams, regardless of how bad it gets, because as football fans we always have that optimism (certain posters aside) which says that this could be our year.

There are still 41 league games to go! Plenty of football to enjoy and emotions to experience. A few weeks ago we were dying for the season to start again. Enjoy it!

On 8/27/2017 at 16:35, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Well this is depressing... think the wrist slashing posts were better...

Disagree on keogh... absolutely crackers

I would say the brief glimmers of hope have been:

Carson- bar one mistake still looks solid and worthy of last seasons awards

Wisdom- gradually getting back to the beast we remember

Personally I feel Davies has looked far stronger than keogh, putting the tackles when he needs to but doesn't need to do stupid runs that result in turning back or looking completely out of place. Has been playing on the weaker side of the defence (not with Wisdom).

Agree Huddlestone if we can deploy and allow him freedom properly could be hugely influential, need to be multidimensional though

Vydra- starting to look a decent player in 10 role

Lawrence- came on and wanted to take players on for those last 10/15

Nugent- Martin may find form but Nugent looks to be on form

russell- after that shambolic performance has to be banished to the bench now! Hopefully for good!

A few more days of the transfer window to get a few more who could make the difference

Keogh>Davies.  D is pulled out of position too often and tbh I have been quite disappointed with

vydra - all I can say is he can take a peno, if this was american football he could come for those few moments otherwise starting to lose hope with him which is painful because I thought he would make a significant difference this year

lawrence needs to stop the headless chicken role, not convinced so far but too soon to make a proper assessment.

hudds can be played out of the game and he has nothing but the ability to open defences.  If he is marked out than he is a waste of space

10 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Keogh>Davies.  D is pulled out of position too often and tbh I have been quite disappointed with

vydra - all I can say is he can take a peno, if this was american football he could come for those few moments otherwise starting to lose hope with him which is painful because I thought he would make a significant difference this year

lawrence needs to stop the headless chicken role, not convinced so far but too soon to make a proper assessment.

hudds can be played out of the game and he has nothing but the ability to open defences.  If he is marked out than he is a waste of space

Blimey, these are the positives!? :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Spanish said:

If these are the positives can someone go and fetch me some rope please 

It is early days but there are things which don't seem to be working and maybe Gary would admit that.

4231 suits the players better than a 433 but 4231 has an inherent weakness. We have no orthodox midfielders in that system.

We saw this before under Clement in the infamous home game v Reading - which we drew 1-1 - (after which MM entered the dressing room). In that game PC changed to 4231 with Ince in the no10 role. There are 2 defensive midfielders who sit deep and 3 who are basically strikers deployed in a slightly deeper role. The 42 and the 31 can become detached with a big gap between the 2 and the 3 - conceding the midfield to the opposition. Thats what happened v Reading. They totally ran the game after about 15-20 mins, and whenever we got the ball we just passed it around at the back.

We now seem to have gone back to that system with a 2 that sit deep - "holding our shape" as GR calls it - and a 3 who are well up the pitch. But we now have Huddlestone (in the 2) hitting 50 yard passes to find the 3, particularly the two wide players who are looking for pockets of space behind the full backs.  That is a legitimate tactic but i think we will struggle to cope with a good opposition midfield. For me that was the problem v wolves. If our 3 are true midfielders then they can happily drop deeper - but weiman, vydra and russell aren't. The tactic of hitting long balls necessarily creates - and even requires - a big gap. The downside of this tactic is that we risk conceding the midfield. 

We have struggled to fit our orthodox midfielders - hughes, butterfield, and bryson - into this system. Perhaps Gary likes players with more physical attributes but it was a huge leap of faith to discard our best central midfield player. we seem to have simultaneously gone from a possession-based  short passing game on the deck, to a counter attacking long ball game with no midfield. I can't see this system suiting Chris Martin anymore than it suited bryson or hughes. Perhaps for the 4231 to work the 3 have got to drop deeper; the 2 have got to push further up; and the 1 probably needs to be a highly mobile pacy striker. But then you don't have the luxury of a quarter back slinging 50 yard balls forward for wide runners to chase and a fish-out-of-water no9 who tends to want to drop deep and receive the ball to his feet. (Or johnson who just seems like a total passenger). It still looks like an ill assorted bag of bits at times.

When we do succesfully get the ball forward then the four strikers probably can create problems, particularly if we give them more freedom, and find a 3 that are comfortable to take players on (which is not weiman's game).

For me, the inherent problem is that - with this way of playing and with these players -  we just haven't got a midfield.

Hopefully i'm wrong and somehow it all falls into place.

12 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

If these are the positives can someone go and fetch me some rope please 

erm I didn't start the thread, I was reacting to what I thought was a far too negative response, I can see no positives from the game

Archived