No leaders

ramma

Anywhere on the pitch. Gary alluded to it in the interview, someone needs to get a grip of the game if things are lagging. 2 goals in a open net says it all we got 11 players walking around like headless chickens. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I disagree, I actually think we have too many leaders on the pitch at the moment so they don't feel obliged to comply with each other's instructions as they think they are it. Too many captains, not enough crew members. 

would make more sense than the ridiculous addage in the thread title that rears its ugly head every time we lose.

Derby have had its fair share of successful club captains from other clubs come here and make our team.

Too many leaders ?Only a few month ago not enough leaders, it's a diabolical state, I watched us against Grimsby fair enough it was our second string side, but it's bloody Grimsby, we were s##t even when they went down to 10 men, thank God I only live 20 mins from Grimsby travelling any further would have broken me

37 minutes ago, ramma said:

Anywhere on the pitch. Gary alluded to it in the interview, someone needs to get a grip of the game if things are lagging. 2 goals in a open net says it all we got 11 players walking around like headless chickens. 

A leader or lack of isn't the problem. It's the 11 players walking around the pitch, who seem to show no desire to compete for the ball or to be in a position to receive the ball by running into space.

I'm pretty sure only Olsson, Weimann, Vydra and Russell were the only players who started today who have never donned the armband at some point in their careers.

It's the footballing philosophy of some of those on the pitch that needs addressing. As Rowett said at the FF, he's not telling them to sit back deep. He's not telling them to pass it passively along the back. He's not telling them not to create things.

Some of our players have got some bad, bad footballing habits, that need either training out of them, or they need to move on. Some managers have tried to change them, and weren't given the time to do so. Hopefully, Rowett will be. 

This isn't about this player & that player being good enough its about the team cheating the fans..................It's about a team that deep down think they are better than all in the division (how may players have you heard say words to the effect of "hopefully our quality will shine through & win it for us"). Until they realise that they have to work harder than the other team they are going nowhere. The strange thing is they ARE a very talented bunch, just a shame they have a collective infectious laziness about them.

26 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'm pretty sure only Olsson, Weimann, Vydra and Russell were the only players who started today who have never donned the armband at some point in their careers.

It's the footballing philosophy of some of those on the pitch that needs addressing. As Rowett said at the FF, he's not telling them to sit back deep. He's not telling them to pass it passively along the back. He's not telling them not to create things.

Some of our players have got some bad, bad footballing habits, that need either training out of them, or they need to move on. Some managers have tried to change them, and weren't given the time to do so. Hopefully, Rowett will be. 

It means they have no respect for their manager 

The question is, why ? 

39 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

To be fair I think we've all said it numerous times before that our chosen captain isn't the man for the job. He is a good defender just not a leader. 

Keogh is a good guy, he's a good footballer, but he's just not enough vocal on the pitch. He is not a leader.

Over the past few years how many professional games have our players captained (and particularly to success) and yet were always talking about a lack of leaders? I think we lack the opposite, some fearless young players with something to prove. A bit like Giles Barnes was, no experienced pro would do what he did because it was stupidly arrogant at times but he also had the arrogance to take a man on and change a game. We've lost this in search of 'leaders'

my list:

keogh

shackell (promoted with Burnley)

warnock

pearce 

martin (briefly for us)

Carson 

Baird (multiple clubs)

missing a lot I know

We've got a lot of former captains in our side. Without looking, I'd say probably 14 and around 6 who have done it at multiple clubs: Carson, Bryson, Keogh, Shackell, Martin, Bent, Baird, Johnson, Pearce, Butterfield, Davies & Huddlestone - okay 12. 

Plus, you've got the likes of Hanson, Bennett & Thorne who have all captained at youth team level. 

It's ability and a system we are lacking, certainly not leaders. I imagine there's only Villa who can boast more former captains in their squad and it's not exactly helping them too much either. 

57 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's ability and a system we are lacking, certainly not leaders. I imagine there's only Villa who can boast more former captains in their squad and it's not exactly helping them too much either. 

Thing is, as I've said before, with so many leaders who exactly is following?

Rubbish cliché that fans use when they don't understand what's happening with their team.

See also:

- "They don't care" 

- "Simply not good enough"

- "Need to go 4-4-2"

- "Inconsistent"

These clichés get thrown about with absolutely no thought as to what it actually means and whether it actually applies. 

Archived