Trivia: Floodlights

FindernRam

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Saturday was a bright day with sunshine a times. Sunset was about 3 hours after the game ended so how come the floodlights were on all match?

Were they expecting an eclipse?

Might be the same reason they do it at Cricket games - Consistent lighting - Sudden changes in the amount of light can affect the way the eyes/brain process the movement of the ball etc etc

Anyone else wear glasses? When you get a new pair it can take your eyes/brain a few hours to adjust to the new lens shape, frame shape etc etc so quick movement of the head can cause blurring

It would be a VERY small effect during the day but even clouds blocking the sun could have some effect

Pure speculation btw

It has to have a purpose or they wouldn't do it. But they have them on a Thursday night when obviously there no game. Does the goal line technology have anything to do with it? 3 games on Tuesday night didn't have the goal line technology because the floodlights wasn't bright enough, you can't keep turning the lights on and off in a short amount of time cost for one as powering up/switching on is where most of the cost is. So does it have to a certain brightness and this is where the floodlights guarantee this?

A friend says its to keep the grass growing because the roof creates a lot of shade- makes sense to me. 

I did a Barcelona stadium tour some time back. They had fans  (big electric ones before you joke) on 24/7 apart from match days for the same reason

13 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Be nice if half the damn things weren't pointing at the crowd - need to wear a cap to see what's happening on the pitch....

Did you comment on the flashing advertising signs thread as well? If so, you may need to resort to wearing sun glasses for evening matches. 

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Thought that myself.  Would've thought with FFP being an issue nowadays we'd ant to save money where we can.  The lecky bill must be huge!!!

I don't think the cost of having the lights on has any effect on FFP.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Did you comment on the flashing advertising signs thread as well? If so, you may need to resort to wearing sun glasses for evening matches. 

Nope - advertising signs don't bother me at all as I sit higher up - which shows how out of line the floodlights are....

On 17/08/2017 at 11:38, FindernRam said:

A friend says its to keep the grass growing because the roof creates a lot of shade- makes sense to me. 

I did a Barcelona stadium tour some time back. They had fans  (big electric ones before you joke) on 24/7 apart from match days for the same reason

I know at the mcg they have heat lamps on half the pitch in the winter because the shade from the stands means the grass on half the pitch grows a lot more quickly

Archived