Chris Martin

Richard246

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Ah right. Yeah, I'd have thought a team flight back as well.

Perhaps they didn't invite him for post match drinks?

I would imagine Scottish post match drinks get a bit crazy - And with Martin's old reputation from his Norwich days he probably wants to avoid that kind of thing

Further proof that he's a bad egg, shouldn't be allowed near a squad with that attitude, doesn't even stay around for drinks with his team mates?!?!? LESS OF THAT KIND OF THING!!! WE DON'T LIKE THINGS AND WE'RE GOING TO MOAN ABOUT IT!!! BOOOOOOO!!

On 8/17/2017 at 23:08, Roboram said:

Let's face it, we've had the best out of Martin (as well as some others, but that's another debate). As much as he's been great for us I reckon it's now time to cash in & move on.

He's not scored for us in his last 20 or so competitive games, so why many people think that he's our saviour is baffling 

If he doesn't get 'the service' then why play him? We look far more mobile & threatening up top without him anyway.

Thanks Chris, you've been great, but even at your best you fell short when it really mattered (Wembley for example)

I can't disagree with that. Plenty of folk have moaned about some players sitting around not contributing much whilst being paid big wages. Isn't CM on some ridiculous lengthy (4yr ?) contract at DCFC? That's bordering on misappropriation of funds. Just my opinion of course and I hope I am proven wrong, by Chris banging in 25 goals this season and the following 2 or 3 campaigns. 

1 hour ago, europia said:

I can't disagree with that. Plenty of folk have moaned about some players sitting around not contributing much whilst being paid big wages. Isn't CM on some ridiculous lengthy (4yr ?) contract at DCFC? That's bordering on misappropriation of funds. Just my opinion of course and I hope I am proven wrong, by Chris banging in 25 goals this season and the following 2 or 3 campaigns. 

Is that likely to happen if he isn't played? Looked like he had a decent game last night. Looked to set things up and probably wished for better service too. RD remarked that he was chasing stuff down (or similar phrase). What more can he do?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is that likely to happen if he isn't played? Looked like he had a decent game last night. Looked to set things up and probably wished for better service too. RD remarked that he was chasing stuff down (or similar phrase). What more can he do?

No, CM won't score 25 a season if he's not playing.

Finally watched the highlights...Martin made some killer passes,very thornesque and provided a glimpse of the difference between him and Nugent.....and why having strikers with different skills will be vital this year.

Just hope he gets sufficient game time and GR doesn't just wait for Nugent to go off or have a bad game.

The haters will be oblivious to what he did on Tuesday.... the need to hate conquers everything else.

No great claims are being made, nobody is saying he will score 30 goals this season, just that he can still pass the ball effectively when given it . But they still won't have it.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Finally watched the highlights...Martin made some killer passes,very thornesque and provided a glimpse of the difference between him and Nugent.....and why having strikers with different skills will be vital this year.

Just hope he gets sufficient game time and GR doesn't just wait for Nugent to go off or have a bad game.

Why should we drop Nugent if he hasn't had a bad game or gone off the boil?

Martin certainly hasn't proven himself better this year.

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The anti Martin brigade is ridiculous, but some comments by the Martin lovers go the other way as well imo.

Not that you can believe everything GR says but didn't he state something about playing formations/players that depended on the opposition - ie not to do with dropping. Get it?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Not that you can believe everything GR says but didn't he state something about playing formations/players that depended on the opposition - ie not dropping. Get it?

He did say that, but I can't see that that's likely now given our (lack of) midfield. We're pretty restricted to formations akin to the 4231 with two centre mids, no bad thing since it appears to be our most suited. Martin is competing for the same role as Nugent in that system, and Nugent has been better. Hell realistically only get his chance if Nugent loses form and he impresses off the bench, unless we switch to a 442 which I can't see as being likely tbf.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

He did say that, but I can't see that that's likely now given our (lack of) midfield. We're pretty restricted to formations akin to the 4231 with two centre mids, no bad thing since it appears to be our most suited. Martin is competing for the same role as Nugent in that system, and Nugent has been better. He'll realistically only get his chance if Nugent loses form and he impresses off the bench, unless we switch to a 442 which I can't see as being likely tbf.

Or even gets injured, or just GR picks a different team to you.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He did say that, but I can't see that that's likely now given our (lack of) midfield. We're pretty restricted to formations akin to the 4231 with two centre mids, no bad thing since it appears to be our most suited. Martin is competing for the same role as Nugent in that system, and Nugent has been better. Hell realistically only get his chance if Nugent loses form and he impresses off the bench, unless we switch to a 442 which I can't see as being likely tbf.

We basically play 4-4-2 anyway

Nugent's not going to have a great deal of impact against teams who sit deep and leave no space in-behind 

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or even gets injured, or just GR picks a different team to you.

If Nugent gets injured then of course Martin comes in, but if GR drops Nugent for no reason I'll be up in arms! Just like I'd be up in arms if Martin was in the team playing well and was just dropped. If martin was in the team playing well and people were claiming that GR shouldn't wait till he loses form before removing him from the team, you Martin fans would be absolutely hammering them, so why is the same respect not honoured to Nugent?!

Im not in any way a Martin hater, I'm pretty indifferent between him and Nugent as both have proven to be top class strikers at this level, but I'm trying to add a bit of balance to this affair as both criticism and praise of Martin are grossly exaggerated imo. Nugent has been better this year and deserves his place, but if martin comes back in because nuge loses form then I'll be fine with that and support him staying in the team until he too loses form. 

22 minutes ago, cannable said:

We basically play 4-4-2 anyway

Nugent's not going to have a great deal of impact against teams who sit deep and leave no space in-behind 

We play two forwards but in our current system there's no way Martin and Nugent can play together imo. Both are number 9s not number 10s, despite their differing styles. The player in behind needs to faster, not just off the ball but with the ball to his feet as well, especially in terms of his decision making and technical skill. Vydra is perfect for that role with his pace and close control with the ball, as well as his quick movement of the ball when he receives it due to his good reading of the play. I struggle to see anyone in our squad that has the requisite abilities to play that role as well as vydra, Lawrence is perhaps the best competition.

Think that second point is harsh, Nugent isn't just a runner, especially nowadays. He's a decent hold up man too and is intelligent with his link up play, tho is perhaps not as strong as Martin which is why he requires that man behind in a 4231, while Martin can play 433 as well- tho like I said we don't have the midfield for that 3.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

The anti Martin brigade is ridiculous, but some comments by the Martin lovers go the other way as well imo.

It's a Brexit-Remain thing all over again. No fence-sitters, and certainly no crossing over to the other side.

Archived