Wheres 4231 gone?

NottsRam77

Genuine question,

but whats happened to it?

unless im going ga ga, didnt we get some success with it last season dare i say a little pureple patch with vydra playing off nugent.

even johnny was tried there if memory serves me, didnt go well but there was definitly a movement towards it

now it seems to have been binned for 433 with the oh so familiar 1 isolated striker approach 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why not today

when nugent and bryson came on today bryson went alongside hudds and nuge in behind martin,

nothing came of it but instantly u could see they were trying to link up and gave us something higher up

what im saying is with the players we had it looked a much more obvious fit, like night and day kinda stuff

Plus Rowett has said before that he'll play a team that has the best chance of suiting the opposition, now i've not got a clue about how formations properly work against each other but he probably looked into it and decided 4231 was less effect against Wolves than 433 

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

So why not today

when nugent and bryson came on today bryson went alongside hudds and nuge in behind martin,

nothing came of it but instantly u could see they were trying to link up and gave us something higher up

what im saying is with the players we had it looked a much more obvious fit

Think we would've done it if Vydra was fit then. 

I think so too

i was just surprised thats all,

nugent can play that role, not as well imo but he himself said in an interview that he enjoys that role making himself busy, getting up to the forward and supporting and dropping in and helping the lads out

cant remember after which game it was,

Oh well, hopefully lessons learnt today 

2 minutes ago, DCFC4LIFE said:

Really liked wolves 3 at the back formation

They looked a very slick operation today 

combined some real class on the ball and inbetween the lines with plenty of physcial strength and mobility

early days yet but they looked good 

10 minutes ago, BottrillRAM said:

Plus Rowett has said before that he'll play a team that has the best chance of suiting the opposition, now i've not got a clue about how formations properly work against each other but he probably looked into it and decided 4231 was less effect against Wolves than 433 

Shouldn't we make the opposition worry about the way we're playing, at home at least? :huh:

10 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Which begs the question, why is Vydra the only player capable of playing that role?

Because he did it at Watford, good link up with Deeney so thought he's suitable in there and link up with Martin. Nugent can play there but still think Vydra would be suitable more than Nugent in there IMO. 

30 minutes ago, rammieib said:

They also had players who can play it. Wing backs were superb.

Yup. They looked like a Jim Smith side with even more flair in attack. Wing backs were wide open in our own half far too often ... and wreaked havoc  

I reckon Vydra is part of Rowetts plans. And I think he's stuck until he has 2 or 3 new players who can play in those forward 3 positions behind the main striker. We're lacking creativity and 'balls' up front that's clear and that's where any new signings will be.

It's a very unfinished project and I really hope we can get the right players in before the window closes. 

Wolves though - top two?. They'll beat most teams this season. I definitely tipped them in another thread.

12 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Genuine question,

but whats happened to it?

unless im going ga ga, didnt we get some success with it last season dare i say a little pureple patch with vydra playing off nugent.

even johnny was tried there if memory serves me, didnt go well but there was definitly a movement towards it

now it seems to have been binned for 433 with the oh so familiar 1 isolated striker approach 

It will be back when Vydra is fit. Surely you knew this, and didnt need to post the stupid question. For the moment at least 433 is favoured from the start, rather than playing Nugent in there.

Archived