How good is our scouting?

FindernRam

It was probably a throw away comment from Rowett but it slightly concerned me that he says Tom Huddlestone is even better than he thought! I suppose that's better than him saying he's not as good, but still, when you pay out that much you should be pretty sure of what you're buying!

I know any transfer has risks due to personality, fit with the team, homesickness etc , but he was talking about his technical ability. That should be a nailed on certainty.

PS Don't start a rant about players who have failed to match expectations--or is that asking too much!:D

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a strange comment from Rowett. I remember saying on a Derby forum long long ago that Tom Huddlestone was the best passer in England and I would have thought Rowett was pretty familiar with him.

We have brought in interesting people into the academy, many from overseas, but there were rumours (I don't know the ins and outs) that all of them were with the same agency. Our UK scouting just seems to pick the people everyone already knows about and cost a premium as a result. Our overseas scouting for senior players has seen Albentosa and Camara arrive and leave without making any impression.

We've spent vast money on the facilities (great) but for whatever reason whatever we're spending on our scouting network hasn't worked. We sourced better players for little money under Clough with his newsagent brother as head of recruitment.

How many times do you hear X player does insane things in training, away from the fans, the stadium, sticking them in top corner from 30 yards blindfolded.

Watching Huddlestone play 90 minutes at the weekend is one thing, seeing him all week pinging balls around in training is another.

2 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Although who was the last player we signed from abroad who really made an impact? Raziak?

That's a question. Rasiak and Idiakez together were immense. Since then I really thought Feilhaber had ability but we heardly played him, but clearly that's clutching at straws. Calero looked as though he might break through (and a few others of his peers) and now we hope Timi Max Elsnik or Emil Riis Jacobsen may be the ones. Perhaps you need three names to come successfully from oversees, but does it count to bring in overseas players for the academy first?

Scouting or finding a bargain? 

I believe scouting is going out and finding the rough diamond or the young unearthed talent coming through that has not been discovered. 

Finding a bargain is really just having a good contacts with agents etc.

We have found the odd young star. Huddlestone,  Hendrick,  Hughes. Ince was more of a good buy rather than scouting. 

It's certainly telling that the mainstays of the squad are still those signings made by Nigel.  You look at the players he brought in for (even by 2014 standards) peanuts - 

- Keogh  Shackell  Forsyth  Bryson  Russell  Martin

Now tell me that the players brought in below for millions more, are a lot better

- Butterfield  Johnson  The Nuge  Vydra  Anya

The only 100% successful buys we've made since Chris Evans came in, then left, then came back, then left again is Ince, which considering the loan spell he had was a no brainer, and Carson.  Nigel has his limitations, but along with his brother, finding good players on the cheap, wasn't one of them...

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

It was probably a throw away comment from Rowett but it slightly concerned me that he says Tom Huddlestone is even better than he thought! I suppose that's better than him saying he's not as good, but still, when you pay out that much you should be pretty sure of what you're buying!

I know any transfer has risks due to personality, fit with the team, homesickness etc , but he was talking about his technical ability. That should be a nailed on certainty.

PS Don't start a rant about players who have failed to match expectations--or is that asking too much!:D

Well we managed to sign 2 players who used to play for us and the captain of the side who beat us last time we were in the playoffs - I mean we did get to see him play against us 4 times that season so...

Archived