17/18 Squad Numbers

Day

1 minute ago, Leicester Ram said:

Well, the comment was largely tongue in cheek and also, why do you care what the new kit looks like? Because you'll have to look at it all season.

Having players run around with number like 42 and 63 on their shirts looks ugly to me. It's like that Wigan striker, alone, who wore the number 2. Gross.

44's okay but I'd have liked the romance of Huddlestone having his old shirt.

A football shirt you might want to buy it and strut your stuff down Cleethorpes beach, kinda important it looks good at £48 a pop.

The number on the back is largely irrelevant.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, David said:

A football shirt you might want to buy it and strut your stuff down Cleethorpes beach, kinda important it looks good at £48 a pop.

The number on the back is largely irrelevant.

I bet we sold more 'Ince 10' shirts than we did 'Ince 23' shirts.

23 is a massively popular number in all of sport, thanks to Michael Jordan. So I doubt it would've been massive different.

12 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Bent 9 and Martin 38, who do you think would sell me? I'd say it's more the name than the number

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

23 is a massively popular number in all of sport, thanks to Michael Jordan. So I doubt it would've been massive different.

I take that but I still think 10 (maybe 7) is the most popular number in regards to football in England though. It's usually the number given to the best attacking player, if you look at the England squad it's effectively passed from Owen to Rooney and now to Kane.

I know I saw more people wearing a 10 Ince shirt than a 23 Ince shirt.

The fact we're talking about numbers being popular in sport at all sort of proves my point. If you're taking any sentiment out of it then yeah, they are just a way of identifying players in the pitch. But can you really tell me there isn't any significance attached to numbers?

Number 8 in Chinese culture, number 8 at Liverpool, number 23 for the Chicago Bulls, numbers 16 and 80 for the San Francisco 49ers or 007 for British middle-aged men? During the O.J. Simpson trial there are signs outside the courtroom that still had 'Free #32' on them.

Would have been cool to have Huddlestone back in the 16 shirt just like it would be nice to have Hughes in the 19 shirt if he ever came back.

Well, one's lazy and always offside while the other one's a fat lump, so I don't think you'd sell either to Ninos.

Point proven! And the I saw more shirts on the street isn't exactly the best method of tracking sales figures. 

Gallas wore 10 at Arsenal for a season, doubt many were sold, bet AC Milan shifted a load with Ronaldinho 80 on the back though

The only reason teams used to keep a bulk of their numbers was due to retaining their kit. As we've changed kit annually there's no need to stick to the same numbers.

I would have shaken it right up to herald the start of a new era, but maybe the thinking is not changing them to indicate they are irrelevant and everyone has a shot.

There's usually a behind closed doors list of numbers. Elsnik, McDonald and so on will have had them assigned but they won't be general knowledge unless they make the bench.   If Wisdom was allocated a number for training before Christie left he probably just retained that leaving the gap at 2. 

I'm a traditionalist, there are still iconic jerseys, people will always want no. 9 and there are clubs where the no. 7 is sought after.

2 and 3 should be full backs, 4 midfield, 5 and 6 centre half, 7 and 11 wingers, 8 and 10 midfielder/striker, 9 striker, 13, 22 and 33 keepers.

Likely opening day

14, 6, 33, 3

44, 18

7, 23, 19

That's just a mess.

18 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I take that but I still think 10 (maybe 7) is the most popular number in regards to football in England though. It's usually the number given to the best attacking player, if you look at the England squad it's effectively passed from Owen to Rooney and now to Kane.

I know I saw more people wearing a 10 Ince shirt than a 23 Ince shirt.

The fact we're talking about numbers being popular in sport at all sort of proves my point. If you're taking any sentiment out of it then yeah, they are just a way of identifying players in the pitch. But can you really tell me there isn't any significance attached to numbers?

Number 8 in Chinese culture, number 8 at Liverpool, number 23 for the Chicago Bulls, numbers 16 and 80 for the San Francisco 49ers or 007 for British middle-aged men? During the O.J. Simpson trial there are signs outside the courtroom that still had 'Free #32' on them.

Would have been cool to have Huddlestone back in the 16 shirt just like it would be nice to have Hughes in the 19 shirt if he ever came back.

Maybe because Hudds is closer to 44 now than 16! ?

38 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Numbers are hugely iconic in US sports especially, hence the numbers being retired by teams for outstanding players - you'll see them posted around ballparks and stadia in their honour when those players are (often long-)retired.

The number 8 in Chinese culture symbolises wealth/success, as the word for the number is similar to the word for money. Contrast this with the number 4, which is similar to the word for death or die.

Archived