Bryson, Butters, Bradders

Bris Vegas

3 minutes ago, lee_derby said:

Speaking after the victory over Macclesfield Town on Saturday and just hours before the Huddlestone signing was announced, Rowett said: "We are aware we have got some gaps in the squad, we are aware we probably want to bring in may be another midfielder [Huddlestone] of a different type and bring in one, may be two different attacking options.

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/manager-gary-rowett-still-wants-to-sign-different-attacking-options-at-derby-county/story-30442872-detail/story.html#hErBp9TThIurPddt.99

i may be reading this and taking this in wrong dt ?.

may be a couple of decent seasons around martin def not 10 he aint been here that long.we are still championship so they all failed in my book. we need more guts throughout and this is why i am liking this season.no player power

What evidence do you have that player power has been a problem at Derby?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, sage said:

What evidence do you have that player power has been a problem at Derby?

reading loads of past threads in this and other forums suggest otherwise. but have i said player power in dcfc in that post no.

but our players have seemed very happy to play better after they have got rid of a manager who dosent play their type of football.(CLEMENT lost the dressing room)

19 minutes ago, lee_derby said:

reading loads of past threads in this and other forums suggest otherwise. but have i said player power in dcfc in that post no.

but our players have seemed very happy to play better after they have got rid of a manager who dosent play their type of football.(CLEMENT lost the dressing room)

You said 'this is why I am liking this season. No player power'

Your only evidence is other posters talking about player power. 

Personally sell Bryson, keep Butters and BJ..... 

Think Butters could thrive in a Bryson role Myself....

Think Bryson is past his usefulness to our team.

Always happily to be proved wrong, and Bryson stay and have a stormer. Think Butters and BJ are far more superior....

Mind, it's a good healthy thing this 

Personally, I prefer Bryson,when played in the correct position with the right players around him. He is constantly making good runs into space behind the defence and nobody notices. Perhaps with Martin and Huddlestone in the team, we have 2 players who will anticipate his runs and be capable of passing the ball to him. 

His goal against Kidderminster showed great anticipation and coolness. 

I wouldn't be comfortable about any of them leaving, certainly not for a team in this division. 

Bryson has been chosen for A, B & C almost in equal measure. Bryson's partnership with Martin, which was a cornerstone of our ability to create so many chances in the final third under McClaren, has the potential to shine again. It's encouraging in the first game that both scored and played well. 

Butterfield is certainly the most technically gifted out of the three, but he's at his best when he's further up the pitch. If he's played in a number 10 role, I think he could have a big part to play. If he's going to be a deep-lying player then he doesn't offer the movement to compliment Huddlestone - on paper. 

Johnson is a player that looks like a good fit next to Huddlestone. He's a runner, he's got goals in him and I guess he's more accomplished at filling in should Huddlestone want to go forward. 

All in all, I would say it's possibly about who works the best with Huddlestone & Martin. I'd be incline to go for Bryson, but either player could really stake a claim. 

14 hours ago, brady1993 said:

But his hustling leads to the first goal and he produces a decent ball to nugent for the second, and that becomes all that is really remembered.

About BJ in the Forest away match last season, which was a 2-2 draw from memory when they scored in the last minute after we went behind and then led.

Shouldn't we remember what BJ can do well rather than what he may not do so well, as in Macclesfield - woeful free kick, wonderful strike and goal?

Alan Hinton couldn't tackle or head a ball but boy he couldn't half cross and shoot accurately...........

Great OP and an interesting conundrum and I can't come up with a firm answer. I can see Jacob and Bradley prospering with Tom and George playing deep and I can see Craig returning to scoring form with Chrissy Martin back in the side. I can also see Elsnik having a great season. Decisions, decisions....

PistoldPete2

I would look to bring in replacements and sell all three, but to answer the question, we need mobility if hud is in the team and Bryson of old would give us that. Bench for butterfield and sell Johnson. 

On 7/17/2017 at 12:24, sage said:

You said 'this is why I am liking this season. No player power'

Your only evidence is other posters talking about player power. 

boring now get a life evidence evidence to many wristslashers with nowt owt to moan about roll on  the season .

I wouldn't be upset to see any of them go truth be told and thats no slight or forgetting what bryson as done for this club.

for me butterfield is a hot one week cold the next, and to be honest he also blows hot and cold during the coarse of the game, theres no doubting his talent but his application just isnt there for any reliable period of time.

its been mentioned that hes better higher up? Couldnt disagree less with this, he has a shot on him yes but his ability to thread a ball through is none existent, he has no physical strength or mobility to hold off or avoid defenders that are "up him",he certainly also hasnt the close control that hughes had and tends to get stifled and ends up dropping deeper to try and find himelf some space 

hes at his best sitting deep getting on the ball deep and moving it on quickly, 

coming off the bench hes "got us playing again" on several occasions but when started the following week hes just gone missing.

theres a talented footballer there but he just doesnt have the application on a weekly basis to take us where we want to go.... hence hes my sell 

for what its worth i think huddlestones arrival may be with an eye to moving butters on tbh 

Just now, coneheadjohn said:

I liked the look of Bradders last night,worked hard and broke play up well.

I think he won pretty much every 50/50 just with his physical power.

Seriously have my doubts about him and Butters in a midfield 2 though.

Doesn't look balanced to me.

They looked like they got overrun and pushed back onto the defence too easily and then the only way out was a big hoof. Not a 2 in a 4231 for me.

On 7/15/2017 at 20:02, McLovin said:

First team: Johnson

Bench: Butterfield

Sell: Bryson

Bryson has been finished for years. I remember that thread I made a few years ago about us not needing him and how we played better without him and I've not changed my mind since.  It was after we beat Wolves 5-0 in 2014 when he was unavailable. He just kills any momentum in the side and the stats from last season back this up as he had more sideways and backward passes than any other midfielder, despite people criticising Butterfield for the same problem. People kept telling me that he was going through a bad spell but I was never convinced.

Unfortunately, no-one will buy him with the wages he's on. We should have sold him to Burnley when we had the chance with hindsight.

And it looks like a mistake in shelling out £3 million for Shackell after selling him to Burnley for £1.2 million three years earlier.

The then newly-wed Shackell put on his carpet slippers instead of football boots after securing a cushy new deal taking him up to age 35.

On 7/18/2017 at 22:01, NottsRam77 said:

I wouldn't be upset to see any of them go truth be told and thats no slight or forgetting what bryson as done for this club.

for me butterfield is a hot one week cold the next, and to be honest he also blows hot and cold during the coarse of the game, theres no doubting his talent but his application just isnt there for any reliable period of time.

its been mentioned that hes better higher up? Couldnt disagree less with this, he has a shot on him yes but his ability to thread a ball through is none existent, he has no physical strength or mobility to hold off or avoid defenders that are "up him",he certainly also hasnt the close control that hughes had and tends to get stifled and ends up dropping deeper to try and find himelf some space 

hes at his best sitting deep getting on the ball deep and moving it on quickly, 

coming off the bench hes "got us playing again" on several occasions but when started the following week hes just gone missing.

theres a talented footballer there but he just doesnt have the application on a weekly basis to take us where we want to go.... hence hes my sell 

for what its worth i think huddlestones arrival may be with an eye to moving butters on tbh 

We obviously agree that he's utter rubbish but I disagree with two things you say:

1) "There's no doubting his talent" - what talent is that? Even his passes lack pace and are sort of flubbed a lot of you pay attention. Watch how often teammates are delayed because they have to pause their run to collect his pass etc

2) his only real attribute is his ability to thread a clever pass which you say he does not have. If you make a good run he might just pick you up, or he may play a leading pass for you to run onto ... that's all of it.

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

We obviously agree that he's utter rubbish but I disagree with two things you say:

1) "There's no doubting his talent" - what talent is that? Even his passes lack pace and are sort of flubbed a lot of you pay attention. Watch how often teammates are delayed because they have to pause their run to collect his pass etc

2) his only real attribute is his ability to thread a clever pass which you say he does not have. If you make a good run he might just pick you up, or he may play a leading pass for you to run onto ... that's all of it.

He really cant thread a pass, and believe me having been a central midfielder myself its something i particularly look for or can appreciate.

u know the sort

think Bairds exquisite slide rule pass against the red dogs when he threaded it through to ince, that pass gave me a semi for the next 2 weeks, never mind the finish, that was a top draw pass 

iv watched butters try that on umpteen occasions be it Russell or to ince and his completion rate is below poor.

sometimes u have to give it a little extra legs to avoid the defender sometimes u have to take a bit off it but his weighting for that sort of pass in non existant

The "he has got ability" bit, maybe im just trying to be nice to the lad lol

remember hes still my sell option so clearly i dont think hes got that much lol

hes good at getting on the ball deep, where he has a bit of time cos hes so deep and shifting out wide.... and repeat, nothing wrong with that and theres many a succesful side that have had players just like that but for me he flits in and out of games far far too regularly

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

He really cant thread a pass, and believe me having been a central midfielder myself its something i particularly look for or can appreciate.

u know the sort

think Bairds exquisite slide rule pass against the red dogs when he threaded it through to ince, that pass gave me a semi for the next 2 weeks, never mind the finish, that was a top draw pass 

iv watched butters try that on umpteen occasions be it Russell or to ince and his completion rate is below poor.

sometimes u have to give it a little extra legs to avoid the defender sometimes u have to take a bit off it but his weighting for that sort of pass in non existant

The "he has got ability" bit, maybe im just trying to be nice to the lad lol

remember hes still my sell option so clearly i dont think hes got that much lol

hes good at getting on the ball deep, where he has a bit of time cos hes so deep and shifting out wide.... and repeat, nothing wrong with that and theres many a succesful side that have had players just like that but for me he flits in and out of games far far too regularly

My mate reckons Johnny Russell is a shocking winger. He used to play himself a bit. For the Dog and Duck.

Some of our fans are f*****g mentalists.

6 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

My mate reckons Johnny Russell is a shocking winger. He used to play himself a bit. For the Dog and Duck.

Some of our fans are f*****g mentalists.

I played at a decent level and was schooled by one of brian cloughs right hand men,

taught me everything i know and only now i appreciate it,which is probably why i never made it lol

thats all kina irrelevant as i also have a pair of eyes and can see if a player cant make a certain type of pass or not 

Archived