Jota - Signed for Birmingham City

Curtains

3 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

You can spend that money once you have got rid of the other outgoings. If you can't do that now then you wait. It's basic financial management. 

We've made a profit so far this summer and if we were that desperate then why did we sell Hughes at the opening bid?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

So let's not spend money ever again then and be happy with midtable mediocrity watching hoof ball!

I want to watch my team for many years. Your reckless way would run the risk of us going to the wall sooner rather than later.

Lot of people pointing to wages as the reason we missed out. I've not seen any evidence from journos of him demanding huge wages, and I highly doubt they'd outstrip Huddlestones which were mentioned to be 30-40k a week (can't remember where now but definately seen that, i know he's our highest earner). 

1 minute ago, eddie said:

I want to watch my team for many years. Your reckless way would run the risk of us going to the wall sooner rather than later.

You're making it sound like we are spending 50 million on him. 6 million is a bargain for a player of his quality. There's always a risk signing any player but I'd suggest he's far better than our current wide options. He can also player anywhere across the midfield 3 behind the forward. We need to spend to keep up, it's the way football is at the moment or do you want to continue to see our best players leave like Hughes and Ince did?

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

We've made a profit so far this summer and if we were that desperate then why did we sell Hughes at the opening bid?

What about last season and the season before? Doesn't get reset at the start of each season.

Just now, McLovin said:

I disagree, I think he is better than Ince(before anyone moans I was a fan of Ince). Jota is not a traditional winger. He is a creative winger that comes inside which is what we are lacking and would form a good understanding with the likes of Martin. In the game against Sheffield United, only Huddlestone of our front 6 was comfortable on the ball and when Sheff Utd closed him down we ran out of ideas. If you saw Wolves, every one of their front player were comfortable with passing and moving. We desperately need more players who are comfortable on the ball otherwise our strikers will be useless and end up dropping deeper and deeper.

Weimann and Russell do not have the guille for opening up defences and when they occasionally manage it they seem to make incorrect decisions which frustrates.....last season our defence was not bad at all...but Jota opened us up all day...he's a clever player and better than what we have in my view...its a good point you make regarding Wolves as going forward there attacking midfielders looked very comfortable and un rushed making decisions.....they could've had 4 or 5 against us...we still need a CM with energy but a 3 of Lawrence Vydra Jota behind Nugent or Martin did look very good

9 minutes ago, Moist One said:

I'm more concerned with the lack of coaching and identity evident in our play. We can sign a million players, but you can only pick 11, and unless they are organised, happy and motivated, it makes no difference.

We have several players who were previously the BEST player at a club in this division, yet fans want us to continually add more. 

There is more evidence to suggest that Jota would make no difference whatsoever, than to make a positive difference, and that evidence is:-

• he's not as good as Ince was, and Ince never got us promoted
  • none of our players are currently playing at 7/10 or better
  • we are not an attacking side
  • wingers are pointless with no aerial threat
  • we are workmanlike side where most players are expected behind the ball, a traditional winger would not thrive in this setup

Whilst I'm swerving the winger question, simply I think it's irrelevant cos of the structure of the team. 

1) I'd argue he is at least as good as Ince

2) That's why we need to improve them

3) Debatable, even if you don't think we are it doesn't mean we don't play any attacking players

4) Again, debatable dependent on formation, but Martin and Nugent both score a lot from crosses anyway. 

5) Jota isn't a traditional winger at all. He's a creative player, would compliment and add to our current style which seems to break down in wide areas with our current players who appear to show very little creativity. 

He'd be an excellent signing for us at 6-8m.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Did we? I don't think anyone knows how many were interested or how long talks went on for.  Just because we have made a profit doesn't mean you spunk it all on overpriced rubbish. You set out what represents value, set your ceiling and (if you actually want the player n the first place) you negotiate a deal. If you don't agree then you walk away. Otherwise you end up like Leeds, Pompey, QPR etc

Just now, Saity said:

Weimann and Russell do not have the guille for opening up defences and when they occasionally manage it they seem to make incorrect decisions which frustrates.....last season our defence was not bad at all...but Jota opened us up all day...he's a clever player and better than what we have in my view...its a good point you make regarding Wolves as going forward there attacking midfielders looked very comfortable and un rushed making decisions.....they could've had 4 or 5 against us...we still need a CM with energy but a 3 of Lawrence Vydra Jota behind Nugent or Martin did look very good

Completely agree. Russell and Weimann are so workman like. They will be useful in certain games but over the course of the season we need far more than them. I'd keep them in and around the squad but I don't think they should be our first choice players. I agree too, we desperately need a right mid and a midfielder with lots of energy to cover for Huddlestone's lack of mobility.

2 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Did we? I don't think anyone knows how many were interested or how long talks went on for.  Just because we have made a profit doesn't mean you spunk it all on overpriced rubbish. You set out what represents value, set your ceiling and (if you actually want the player n the first place) you negotiate a deal. If you don't agree then you walk away. Otherwise you end up like Leeds, Pompey, QPR etc

Again, you're making it sound like we would have spent 50 million on him and he's not overpriced rubbish at all. 6 million is a bargain in this market. 

Just now, McLovin said:

Again, you're making it sound like we would have spent 50 million on him and he's not overpriced rubbish at all. 6 million is a bargain in this market. 

What will we pay him with, 40,000 magic beans a week?

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Not my problem, we were repeatedly told we were well within ffp limits or were club lying to the fans?

Of course it's not your problem how the club pay for the players, easy to just say we should sign him him him him him on the internet. 

Gallagher has had a 8k pay rise to go to Birmingham on loan, now said to be on £40k per week so how much will this guarantee you pushing automatics says you signing going to cost?

Just now, David said:

Of course it's not your problem how the club pay for the players, easy to just say we should sign him him him him him on the internet. 

Gallagher has had a 8k pay rise to go to Birmingham on loan, now said to be on £40k per week so how much will this guarantee you pushing automatics says you signing going to cost?

You haven't really answered my question. We are supposedly paying the likes of Huddlestone big wages so we could have easily found a way especially for a player of Jota's quality. I'll ask you the same question I asked Mostyn, do you honestly think that wingers(discounting Lawrence) are good enough? We have next to no technical ability in the team.

What has Gallagher got to do with this? I didn't want him. Every man and his dog can see our wide areas(along with centre midfield) are our weaker areas.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I'll repeat, if we were so desperate for money then why did we sell Hughes so cheap? If you look at some of the other prices likes Murphy going to Newcastle then I'd say we could have also pushed to get closer to 15 million for Ince.

Because no bugger else wanted him.

Just now, tomsdubs said:

Until the rest of the team puts in a proper shift you might as well plant a conifer on the touchline at PP and put a DCFC shirt over it.

Are you suggesting we bid for Fer?

Archived