Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

Just now, McLovin said:

I hope so but I very much doubt it. In his whole career he has only ever scored more than 5 goals in a season in all competitions twice.

Thought I would be optimistic at the start of this season but I'm struggling with that to be honest at the moment .

Just can't see what will be any different other than Rowett motivating players more than the last 5 managers we have had. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RiddingsRam said:

I think it would be a lot to ask two central midfield players to get into double figures. Plus I think Butterfield will play slightly deeper. 

If we are playing 4-3-3 most of the time, I don't see why they can't hit that now they have a focal point in Martin to play off. Butterfield scored 8 a few years back despite being in and out of the team and having to contend with a change in manager and Johnson also has a good strike on him when in forward positions. They will be able to play a lot higher noe that Huddlestone is in the team as he can pick them out with his passes.

Not quite sure how we play two wingers unless we plan to isolate Martin in the middle. The whole point of two wingers is lots of crosses and that's not how Martin is ever likely to score goals. He's pretty poor in the air and slow on the ground. He needs neat interchanging passes to be effective which means having players close to him.

I would say he would more effective with Vydra or Nugent alongside him with three more central midfield players capable of supporting them and Huddlestone anchoring.

Kent and Lawrence would be exciting but also leave us open in defence.

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Thought I would be optimistic at the start of this season but I'm struggling with that to be honest at the moment .

Just can't see what will be any different other than Rowett motivating players more than the last 5 managers we have had. 

We've made some good additions so far but we need a couple of wingers in my opinion, the current set of wingers aren't good enough to get us up. Get them and I think we will have a very good season.

Just now, McLovin said:

We've made some good additions so far but we need a couple of wingers in my opinion, the current set of wingers aren't good enough to get us up. Get them and I think we will have a very good season.

Looks like Rowett has just counted that out with his Telephone numbers quote .

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Looks like Rowett has just counted that out with his Telephone numbers quote .

I hope not because how it is, I can't see us finishing above 8th because there are too many teams in this league that are competitive. We will have the same problem as in previous seasons where we won't end up scoring enough.

47 minutes ago, McLovin said:

If we are playing 4-3-3 most of the time, I don't see why they can't hit that now they have a focal point in Martin to play off. Butterfield scored 8 a few years back despite being in and out of the team and having to contend with a change in manager and Johnson also has a good strike on him when in forward positions. They will be able to play a lot higher noe that Huddlestone is in the team as he can pick them out with his passes.

I can't see us playing 4 3 3 as the main formation (I.e mac) think we will see 4 3 3 in the tougher games and a variation of 4 2 3 1 and 4 2 4 in the more winnable games and one thing I've learnt from Rowett so far is that he rates Butterfield so I imagine he will be one if the first names on the team sheets. 

Just now, RiddingsRam said:

I can't see us playing 4 3 3 as the main formation (I.e mac) think we will see 4 3 3 in the tougher games and a variation of 4 2 3 1 and 4 2 4 in the more winnable games and one thing I've learnt from Rowett so far is that he rates Butterfield so I imagine he will be one if the first names on the team sheets. 

On occasion our 4-3-3 became more like a 4-5-1 if the wide players dropped back to support their fullbacks. 

So we might see something like that in away matches. Cloughie used to use that formation sometimes. 

Just now, HantsRam said:

On occasion our 4-3-3 became more like a 4-5-1 if the wide players dropped back to support their fullbacks. 

So we might see something like that in away matches. Cloughie used to use that formation sometimes. 

That's where wide forwards like Russell and Weimann will be key. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Bryson will bag 12-15 goals this season if played in an advanced role. Rumours of his demise are greatly exaggerated. You can pull this one out come next May. 

Ella you seem like a nice fella, but l bet you are still wearing the same snug, comfy coat you bought back in the nineties.

46 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Hope you're right on that. We have rarely played Butterfield high enough up the pitch to make best use of his ability - similar to what we also failed to do with Will Hughes.

14 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Ella you seem like a nice fella, but l bet you are still wearing the same snug, comfy coat you bought back in the nineties.

Thank you i-Ram. You seem a nice chap too. I do have a brand new, as yet unworn, Aquascutum raincoat in my wardrobe. It is class and when I do wear it, as appropriate, it will keep me dry and look top notch. Class is timeless. Bryson is no old comfy coat. I'll remind you of that when he bags his dozen-th goal around about Feb 2018*. :mellow:

* based on being played, in the appropriate position, and having a regular place in the side. 

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Thank you i-Ram. You seem a nice chap too. I do have a brand new, as yet unworn, Aquascutum raincoat in my wardrobe. It is class and when I do wear it, as appropriate, it will keep me dry and look top notch. Class is timeless. Bryson is no old comfy coat. I'll remind you of that when he bags his dozen-th goal around about Feb 2018*. :mellow:

* based on being played, in the appropriate position, and having a regular place in the side. 

I think you will be correct but his spot will be shared by Johnson ( which might work out well) once Thorne gets fit 

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Hope you're right on that. We have rarely played Butterfield high enough up the pitch to make best use of his ability - similar to what we also failed to do with Will Hughes.

See I feel Buttetfields more effective slightly deeper but without having the sole defensive responsibility of a holding midfielder. 

Archived