Whats the best Derby County goal you've seen live

superzak

What a brilliant night that was ..3-0 and Eusebio trying too drag his boots through the baseball ground mud lol

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt anyone will remember this one because there were no cameras about at the time. But charlie George scored an absolute cracker against Liverpool in 1978 at the normanton end in a 4-2 win. It was a volley from the right hand side of the penalty area in a night match. Anyone else remember it?

Giles Barnes screamer in the last minute away at Cardiff City in 2006, my 16th birthday which made it sweeter too. Loved that terrace. 

Most of the other great goals since have been mentioned, Jeff's at Forest deserves one more shout out though. Circumstances made that one, his previous miss, 10 men, Forest, Lee Camp and not a bad bloody finish for a kid! 

2 hours ago, Roboram said:

I doubt anyone will remember this one because there were no cameras about at the time. But charlie George scored an absolute cracker against Liverpool in 1978 at the normanton end in a 4-2 win. It was a volley from the right hand side of the penalty area in a night match. Anyone else remember it?

No.....

but he also scored an absolute belter from miles out v burnley (or ipswich?) away

there is some film of it somewhere 

its so outrageous, far out, and unexpected that the camera man half misses it.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

No.....

but he also scored an absolute belter from miles out v burnley (or ipswich?) away

there is some film of it somewhere 

its so outrageous, far out, and unexpected that the camera man half misses it.

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie, Charlie.....born is the king of Derrrrrrrby ......

8 hours ago, Davys on the road said:

All four goals against Newcastle in 1975 cup run were class, for those to young tune into youtube

My favourite Rams game ever. Derby at their absolute peak. And Newcastle weren't Finn Harps either.

On 30/06/2017 at 00:06, Carl Sagan said:

Lots of great memories on here. Also been reminded of the Goddard chip over Nevile Southall on another thread. And the Henry Newton screamer I remember (I think!) was at Maine Road in the same game as Franny Lee's "very interesting" effort. But I only watched those on the telly.

Hughes's back heel for the first in the home leg of the playoff semifinal against Brighton was an extraordinary finish. As were most of Giles Barnes's in that season.

Edit @sparkle I see I took too long to type! 

Lee v his old club. Rare for then it is on film. I was in Kippax surrounded by my family of Man City die hards, with my silk (sort of) scarf which I still have on show in my bedroom at 52. Previously mentioned I was born and raised a blue mooner and my forthcoming aurobiography (waiting for a decent author) will be entitled 'Franny Lee Changed My Life' :D. I promise you all my fellow Rams, I regret not a single day for following my hero to the East Midlands. Thank you Dave Mackay. Ah memories!! Reading of these fave goals is terrific, great thread!

I'd have to think long and hard, not sure I could pick out one. :)

26 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Been mentioned a few times, but live it was even better than it looks on the video 

If only we had HD then. Yeah saw this one 'live'. Paul Goddard. I class him as legend. Apologies for repeating myself. He turned down Liverpool because he'd given his word to Derby. How many would do that these days. Mr Goddard I salute you sir! 

31 minutes ago, SKRam said:

If only we had HD then. Yeah saw this one 'live'. Paul Goddard. I class him as legend. Apologies for repeating myself. He turned down Liverpool because he'd given his word to Derby. How many would do that these days. Mr Goddard I salute you sir! 

Yeah I was going to go with either this one or Trevor Hebbard against Newcastle United, the TH strike would still be travelling now if there wasn't a net in the way. 

I wonder if anyone can help me with this one. I can't remember who we were playing, not even sure of the season, probably '84/'85. I think it was a night match.

What I can remember was the most stupendous goal by Paul Hooks.

He picked up the ball near the centre spot, and instead of the usual misplaced 10 yard pass or a hopeful punt forward, he advanced with the ball at his feet. Ignoring a half-hearted challenge from an opposing mid fielder he moved forward, another failed tackle and a sharp change of direction by our hero saw Hooks with the ball deep into opposition territory.

Still he continued, taking no notice of cries of "Get rid!" and "Pass it, you pillock!".  Getting nearer the Normanton penalty area his way forward was blocked by the massed ranks of defenders and retreating mid-fielders. Still he refuses to give up possession of the the ball, and instead turns and dribbles towards the Pop Side and then back towards the half way line again.

Turning once more, Hooks ran towards the Normo End evading tackle after tackle, then, 25 yards from goal, he unleashed a screamer. The ball whistled past the groping fingers of the goalie and crashed into the top left corner of the the goal.

Cue stunned silence followed by scenes of delirium all around the Baseball Ground.

Now, can anyone else remember this or is the whole thing just a figment of my fevered imagination and a sign of impending senility? 

Archived