Jake Buxton - signed for Burton

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Failing to see why people are so against this. A one year deal, on what I assume would be reasonable wages, and a good championship cover defender. It doesn't look like he's being brought in to start, however if we suffer the injuries we know we have reliable backup. Buxton is a top professional, great attitude, always put in a fantastic shift for Derby. If Derby are offering him a deal, then clearly Rowett believes he has something to offer, and like stated by others, Jake can lead by example as a player who didn't have the most ability, however always without fail did his best. 

I'd personally like a starting CB pairing of Davies and Keogh, however I'd have no qualms with Bucko on the bench.

PistoldPete2

We have wisdom, Baird and even fozzy who can play CB. Don't see why we would need JB except as a coach maybe. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Failing to see why people are so against this. A one year deal, on what I assume would be reasonable wages, and a good championship cover defender. It doesn't look like he's being brought in to start, however if we suffer the injuries we know we have reliable backup. Buxton is a top professional, great attitude, always put in a fantastic shift for Derby. If Derby are offering him a deal, then clearly Rowett believes he has something to offer, and like stated by others, Jake can lead by example as a player who didn't have the most ability, however always without fail did his best. 

I'd personally like a starting CB pairing of Davies and Keogh, however I'd have no qualms with Bucko on the bench.

Because we already have several solid championship defenders in our ranks. Signing Buxton would be another signing that doesn't improve the starting eleven and further bloats the squad.

It's easy to say get rid of Shackell and Pearce, but given their wages we'd do well to find any suiter, regardless of transfer fee. 

Add that to the fact that Buxton is 32 and would just add another body to the ageing squad. If we want to bring in a player to sit on the periphery and give us an option in the case of an injury, bringing in a young player would be more suitable. Low wages, lots of 'hunger and desire', but likely increasing, or at least maintaining, their value over time. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Same people who against this one are the one who were gutted/disappointed/fuming/angry/annoying when Bucko left last year. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Err because however you want to shape it he is now crap in this division , too slow now for pace and he only ever looked good along side a commanding CH therefore play a youngster in his place

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

How can people say we've moved on? Moved backwards maybe, but not forwards. Fact is, we were better when he was here than we have been since he left. 

Telling me he would get in side even if there were departures? 

This really smacks of the Giles Barnes story couple of seasons ago.... draw your own conclusions who fancied him then..... 

If Jake wants to come back, have him back. Defensively, he's well above Pearce and he'd be on less than Shackell significantly. And if Shack was only going to be a back up, I'd much rather have a Buxton who I can imagine having a better attitude and understanding of it. Keogh + Davies as a partnership with Bucko + Rawson as support is fine by me.

It would give me a reason to get my Jake Buxton phone case back out the drawer as well.

18 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Telling me he would get in side even if there were departures? 

This really smacks of the Giles Barnes story couple of seasons ago.... draw your own conclusions who fancied him then..... 

Players should earn the shirt and fight to keep it. Previously, Buxton did this. Derby's downfall for many years has been picking players on reputation and NOT on merit or performance. 

The players who work hardest and perform best should get in the side. 

Buxton on (at a guess) £5k-£10k per week as a back up option, or Pearce and Shackell on (at a guess) a combined £50k-£60k a week?

That's based on the assumption that if we want to sign him we have takers for those two. We might not in which case there's no point.

But if we do to me that's a no brainer?

The usual suspects can make digs at Mel all they want. If he cared that much he'd have stopped him going in the first place. After all he's a meddler isn't he?

1 hour ago, JG400 said:

Err because however you want to shape it he is now crap in this division , too slow now for pace and he only ever looked good along side a commanding CH therefore play a youngster in his place

You're gonna claim he didn't look good next to Keogh? Even though we made the Wembley final with those two paired? Sorry, I don't agree. Buxton was bloody good in the air, despite his height, and we all know he could certainly play it from the back. I'd rather have a defender like Buxton, who we know can play from the back, rather than a clogger like Hanley.

I don't think he's crap in this division.

Archived