Official: Cyrus Christie joins Middlesbrough

DCFC1388

4 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

You have obviously put alot work into your very detailed calculations Ramblur which we all appreciate and thank you for,but this way to technical for the average 'simple' football fan like me.It does make good reading if only I could understand it all. 

Read my reply to cheron -I've just joined you:(

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Thanks for your kind words,cheron, but appetising as the pie and melt sound,I could do with a very strong drink now,as I've just joined the ranks of those that don't understand it.

Haha I did see that - Welcome to the group :) We have t-shirt - "The Clueless Wonders"

Pure speculation here btw BUT I wonder if this has anything to do with sacking our CEO for gross incompetence?

18 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Jeez,this business is driving me crazy. My suggestion of compo for Clement and Peacock simply doesn't work.The 13/14 Global Derby accounts were signed off on 30 March 2015,and the PBSE figure (which clearly states purchase of players+league levies+agents' fees) of £7.918m can only relate to the period 1July 14-30 March 15,which of course all falls within the financial year 14/15.This capital expenditure must be included in the intangible assets additions figure of £8.132m,which then only leaves £214k for any expenditure after 30/3/15,which obviously rules out the possibility of compo levels that I'd suggested as a possibility for Clement and Peacock.

The explanatory note on additions clearly stipulates transfer fees/league levies/agents' fees/compensation to acquire services of manager/coach, full stop.The preceding note on signing bonuses clearly states these aren't capitalised,so that possibility's ruled out.If anyone wants to suggest a possible loan fee for Mascarell,that won't work either because capital items have to give value over more than one accounting period, and a season long loan clearly relates to the financial year in question only.

I've seen a list of agents' fees paid by clubs in 14/15,and we came in at £1.1m,so no joy there.I know the league levy is only 5%,so that doesn't help.This is going to torment me for months,because I now haven't a clue what this £2.363m can be.

I don't know whether to eat more humble pie,spew up some I've already eaten,or both.

Apologies to all,I just can't fathom it now. 

You need to stop fretting over this Ramblur and certainly don't let it torment you.  The bottom line here is that the accounts are being structured in such a way so as it is almost impossible for someone to have complete knowledge of all matters unless working in the 'inside'. Mel will be very happy with that l am sure. He will be less happy that you are beating yourself up trying to solve this conundrum.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You need to stop fretting over this Ramblur and certainly don't let it torment you.  The bottom line here is that the accounts are being structured in such a way so as it is almost impossible for someone to have complete knowledge of all matters unless working in the 'inside'. Mel will be very happy with that l am sure. He will be less happy that you are beating yourself up trying to solve this conundrum.

Thanks,but it's always been something I've found impossible to do-a cross I have(choose) to carry.Why do you think I sometimes complete cryptic crosswords weeks after starting? (I wasn't joking there).It's one of the reasons I took up landscape gardening over 30 years ago,and even then I'd be thinking about solutions to clients' problems for ages.I could never switch off.

This is more difficult than any cryptic clue I've come across ,and I know there has to be an explanation somewhere.

12 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Haha I did see that - Welcome to the group :) We have t-shirt - "The Clueless Wonders"

Pure speculation here btw BUT I wonder if this has anything to do with sacking our CEO for gross incompetence?

I'll borrow a line from one of my favourite political satires,'House of Cards' :- You might say that,cheron,but I couldn't possibly.

Actually we might both be on dangerous ground here,so I might withdraw the above -no point both of us having our heads chopped off:D

2 minutes ago, ramblur said:

I'll borrow a line from one of my favourite political satires,'House of Cards' :- You might say that,cheron,but I couldn't possibly.

Actually we might both be on dangerous ground here,so I might withdraw the above -no point both of us having our heads chopped off:D

It's okay - I hear that @David is very gentle with the ban hammer :)

7 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Thanks,but it's always been something I've found impossible to do-a cross I have(choose) to carry.Why do you think I sometimes complete cryptic crosswords weeks after starting? (I wasn't joking there).It's one of the reasons I took up landscape gardening over 30 years ago,and even then I'd be thinking about solutions to clients' problems for ages.I could never switch off.

This is more difficult than any cryptic clue I've come across ,and I know there has to be an explanation somewhere.

I had that problem with a rubix cube over 30 years ago. Still never done one with a) taking all the stickers off and putting them right or b) taking all the cubes apart and reassembling it so all sides have the right colours on. 

Sometimes you just have to let it go or cheat ?

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I had that problem with a rubix cube over 30 years ago. Still never done one with a) taking all the stickers off and putting them right or b) taking all the cubes apart and reassembling it so all sides have the right colours on. 

Sometimes you just have to let it go or cheat ?

I had a similar problem with one of those wretched Chinese puzzles that some kind soul gave me for Christmas about 10 years ago.Interlocking wooden pieces that formed the shape of a cube.I just know you probably had to press on one piece whilst possibly doing something else,but I could never find the way in.I wasn't trying it solidly for 10 years,but it came out every now and again.The solution was in a sealed packet at the base of it,but I refused point blank to look at it (even when I finally gave it away last year).The new owner hasn't come crowing to me yet. 

1 minute ago, ramblur said:

I had a similar problem with one of those wretched Chinese puzzles that some kind soul gave me for Christmas about 10 years ago.Interlocking wooden pieces that formed the shape of a cube.I just know you probably had to press on one piece whilst possibly doing something else,but I could never find the way in.I wasn't trying it solidly for 10 years,but it came out every now and again.The solution was in a sealed packet at the base of it,but I refused point blank to look at it (even when I finally gave it away last year).The new owner hasn't come crowing to me yet. 

He opened the sealed packet ??

14 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

It's okay - I hear that @David is very gentle with the ban hammer :)

Big difference between hearing about it and feeling it;)

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

He opened the sealed packet ??

Maybe,I did say to him that if he came up with the solution I wanted to see the sealed packet. 

38 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I've got this funny feeling he's sitting next to Stephen Pearce and they're both shaking with laughter! If Stephen reads this forum,it must be a source of great amusement at times.I saw the video of him at a fans' forum when PC was here.He's definitely got a good sense of humour -I was quite taken with him.Fine fella -spoke very well too.

I'm still working on that 14/15 'enigma' concerning the £3m exceptional gain on the PP mortgage settlement. It didn't escape my attention that £3m ,which had been lying in 'other creditors' for donkeys years was suddenly brought out of there and redesignated as a loan at the same time.All my years on the planet have taught me that there's a reason for everything.I don't think the bank waived £3m at all (and the accounts don't actually suggest that they did) -there, I've just given Stephen something else to smile about.:D

3 minutes ago, ramblur said:

I've got this funny feeling he's sitting next to Stephen Pearce and they're both shaking with laughter! If Stephen reads this forum,it must be a source of great amusement at times.I saw the video of him at a fans' forum when PC was here.He's definitely got a good sense of humour -I was quite taken with him.Fine fella -spoke very well too.

I'm still working on that 14/15 'enigma' concerning the £3m exceptional gain on the PP mortgage settlement. It didn't escape my attention that £3m ,which had been lying in 'other creditors' for donkeys years was suddenly brought out of there and redesignated as a loan at the same time.All my years on the planet have taught me that there's a reason for everything.I don't think the bank waived £3m at all (and the accounts don't actually suggest that they did) -there, I've just given Stephen something else to smile about.:D

You called? ?

1 hour ago, archied said:

See ramblur ,I was right all along

,,,,,,,,,,,,quarter past five ?

.......................................................five to one:p

Going to have one last go at this,based on some known facts and 2 strong lines of logic.First ,the facts:-

Global Sports PBSE (up to 30/3/15) £7,918,096     DCFC PBSE (up to end November 14) £6,777,057  Difference between the two,which covers the Jan window activity of Albentosa/Shotton/Warnock (fees) and Ssewankambo free,  and unlikely to figure compo,as he'd been around the block a bit before arriving,so possibility of agent's fees only, is £1,141,039.

Intangible assets additions for year:- Players' regs £4.449m, Levies&other costs £3.683m, Total £8.132m

Agents' fees paid 14/15 £1.1m  Transfer levies (calculated) 5% of £4.449m  c£222k

Explanatory note on composition of IA additions:- (1)Players' regs (2) Transfer levies (3) Agents' fees (4) Compensation paid to acquire services of manager/coach.  Loan fees & signing fees don't count as both non capital items.

Now for the logic.(2) can be calculated,(3) is known (4) can't be ,as the total up to 30/3/15 is almost all of the total capital expended.

Conclusion:- Deducting agents' fees and levies from £3.683m means that the balance has to be more players' regs,as it can't possibly be anything else.

This figure comes to £2.36m,and I believe it to be compensation fees paid,with transfer fees figuring in the 1st column of £4.449m. This £2.36m reduces a bit though,because it has to include transfer levies,so I reckon it becomes c£2.24m. I suspect it's in the 2nd column to either differentiate between fees/compo, or possibly to make it difficult for me,or anyone else,to work out the actual transfer spend before levies/agents.

Logic no 2. This £2.24m must be in the summer window,because you could hardly take anything out of the Jan figure of £1.141m,because this already (after levies/agents) means that the total fees for Albentosa/shotton/Warnock can only come to somewhere (probably) between £900k to £1m.

Possible compensation fee candidates from summer are Christie&Santos (definites) and McDonald,Calero,Koblenz (possibles). As we reckon (but don't know) the negotiated compo for Christie was c£1m,then you obviously need more than Santos to get to a total of £2.24m.I've done a bit of research and McDonald was at Posh for 4 years,so he could be a candidate(great things had been expected of him,apparently).Calero was at Atletico a fair time,and Koblenz came from Hoffenheim (but I know no more). I don't know a great deal about this compo business-does anyone know if it's just a UK thing/extends to Europe/extends worldwide? 

If I'm right about the compo business,deducting the Jan transfers from the £4.449m would put GT at something like £3.4m/£3.5m .I've not done this exercise just to make a point about GT,I just can't see any other possibilities.I said before that this could torment me for months,but it won't.If 2 elements are known,and a 3rd is impossible,I'm not going to waste any more time thinking of a possibility that can't exist. 

4 minutes ago, ramblur said:

If I'm right about the compo business,deducting the Jan transfers from the £4.449m would put GT at something like £3.4m/£3.5m .I've not done this exercise just to make a point about GT,I just can't see any other possibilities.I said before that this could torment me for months,but it won't.If 2 elements are known,and a 3rd is impossible,I'm not going to waste any more time thinking of a possibility that can't exist. 

That makes sense and isn't far off the amount I thought it would be

You're back on form dude! :D

Pretty sure there was no compensation for anybody apart from Christie, supposedly £1m, and Santos which I can't see being more than £100k bearing in mind they were non-league and he'd only played 20 games in the side that got relegated.

Archived