U21 Championship 2017

Day

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I know the Germans probably have a more experienced squad, and take these tournaments more seriously, but the gulf in class between the 2 sides was frankly embarrassing.

Thought it was more to do with Boothroyds tactics and selection tbh. We had as many good chances and could easily have beaten them.

18 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I know the Germans probably have a more experienced squad, and take these tournaments more seriously, but the gulf in class between the 2 sides was frankly embarrassing.

That's the thing though, they didn't even take their best players to this tournament either! This was almost like their under 21 'b' team as their best under 21s are at the confederations cup with the seniors.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thought it was more to do with Boothroyds tactics and selection tbh. We had as many good chances and could easily have beaten them.

Should have scored at least 3 in the first half! Chalobah and Gray's chances in the first half were dead easy.

Talking about Chalobah, he's one of the most overrated/ underrated English under 21 players I've ever seen.

What I mean by that is that he must be talented if he has lasted as long as he has at Chelsea and has also been at Napoli so they must be seeing something that we aren't but when you sit down and actually watch him you wonder what he actually does on the pitch.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'll be honest, only saw it from 70 mins onward, was it more even beforehand?

Their fella in the centre of the park looked a very decent player, though his name escapes me.

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That's the thing though, they didn't even take their best players to this tournament either! This was almost like their under 21 'b' team as their best under 21s are at the confederations cup with the seniors.

Fair enough, not really au fait with the squad compositions, just going on the fellas England had who were eligible but had left behind.

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'll be honest, only saw it from 70 mins onward, was it more even beforehand?

Their fella in the centre of the park looked a very decent player, though his name escapes me.

You missed the best bits! :D

Dunno the Germans by name and so I'll avoid a guess which would on be a stereo-type. :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You missed the best bits! :D

Dunno the Germans by name and so I'll avoid a guess which would on be a stereo-type. :ph34r:

Max Arnold, I think.

I think you're right about Boothroyd, they controlled the part of the game I saw, we hit channel balls for Abraham to scrap over, and had no control over the game.

Thought we had some decent chances, mainly from set pieces, but the truth of it is we got completely outplayed for about 110 minutes.

The 2 penalties we missed really annoyed me. If you're going to be taking a lazy run up like that it's got to be because you're sacrificing power for accuracy. Both of them were pathetic, weak and perfect height for the goalkeeper. Just so predictable when you do a cocky run up like that, when will they learn?!

If that's what we have coming though to challenge the senior team I'm afraid it's another 8 years of making up the numbers.

We moan about young English players not being given a chance in the Premier League but to be honest if that's the quality on offer I am not surprised. Not one player comfortable enough to put his foot on the ball and find a pass. Intact I would say the best passer in the team was Pickford.

Archived