Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

Does anyone really know the fee or the financial make up of it ? 

Is it 4 million cash and a let off on 6 million in payments for Vydra and Anya ?

Is it 5 million and add ons in terms of appearances or sell on fees ?

is it 7 million and a bit of both the above ? 

So much tittle tattle 

we still don't know if he's gone. Keep your powederfuff dry keep calm and carry on. Support the team. 

I think he is a great footballer and if he goes he will be missed. We need magicians who can do the special and the difficult but football is a team game so I am not judging until the building of a unit under GR is complete. .. I will however have a large hissy fit of all time if Will and Tom go in the same window. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

We've just paid £2million for a guy who has played over a seasons worth of Premier League games.  Played 15 top flight games in Austria in a side that has won the league, cup and qualified for the champions league.  He's 2 years older than Hughes but has actually done a little something including captaining the U21 on several occasions.

People are saying we overpaid for Wisdom....so why on earth is WH worth 3 or more times as much???  Put simply - he isn't.

He's 22 and still can't get into the U21 side.

Good post mate.

I think he is though,don't ask me for supporting evidence.Just my opinion.

Just now, jono said:

Does anyone really know the fee or the financial make up of it ? 

Is it 4 million cash and a let off on 6 million in payments for Vydra and Anya ?

Is it 5 million and add ons in terms of appearances or sell on fees ?

is it 7 million and a bit of both the above ? 

So much tittle tattle 

we still don't know if he's gone. Keep your powederfuff dry keep calm and carry on. Support the team. 

I think he is a great footballer and if he goes he will be missed. We need magicians who can do the special and the difficult but football is a team game so I am not judging until the building of a unit under GR is complete. .. I will however have a large hissy fit of all time if Will and Tom go in the same window. 

Then get some medication on the side as I think its about to happen and about time to 

18 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

You know Wisdom has been an absolute disaster at pretty much every club he's been too bar us, right? He was horrific for West Brom in particular.

He's older, plays in a position that usually commands a lower fee, had poor spells everywhere bar here and Liverpool desperately wanted rid as he's clearly not good enough for them. That's why he's worth significantly less.

Agreed his spells at West Brom and Norwich  haven't been the best but they were both playing in the Premier League. Hughes struggled to get into a side that finished 10th in the Championship. 

I'm not sure being deemed surplus to requirements at a side pushing for the Top 4 in the Premier is that much to be ashamed of.  Joe Allan was deemed surplus to requirements at Liverpool a little under a year ago. 

1 minute ago, NottsRammy said:

Well if Whelan signs and plays a FORWARD pass for his first one that will one more than hughes did in his entire derby career ;-P

Are you wumming?

Just now, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Are you wumming?

A little over exaggeration I admit but honestly no.

I have watched hughes solely in matches and yes he retains the ball well and occasionally has some nice touches , but seriously very few times does he do forward passes. All Hughes is , is a midfield possession player . He does play quick at times one touch stuff , but there are not enough really penetrating passes and don't start on his goal scoring.

We need old / leader type heads in this side as Derby do have a lot of pressure on them to go up , and younger players tend to buckle under it esp at home.

1 minute ago, NottsRammy said:

We need old / leader type heads in this side as Derby do have a lot of pressure on them to go up , and younger players tend to buckle under it esp at home.

Whilst Older players, especially ones from the from Prem look at Championship with disdain, and only join a club to get a last pay check before retirement 

33 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

We've just paid £2million for a guy who has played over a seasons worth of Premier League games.  Played 15 top flight games in Austria in a side that has won the league, cup and qualified for the champions league.  He's 2 years older than Hughes but has actually done a little something including captaining the U21 on several occasions.

People are saying we overpaid for Wisdom....so why on earth is WH worth 3 or more times as much???  Put simply - he isn't.

He's 22 and still can't get into the U21 side.

It's difficult to use other players transfer values as a metric of a player's worth. Which player do you use...Wisdom? Hendrick? Vydra? Choosing a different player is likely to lead to different conclusions about Hughes' value. Better to look at his quality and how valuable it is to the team, or maybe how much you would have to pay to buy a player of similar quality, of a similar age in the same position.

Quoting the price paid for a full-back who, it is generally agreed, hasn't developed in the manner hoped since he was last at the club, can't be considered that relevant.

Pointing out that Wisdom played 15 games at the highest level in Austria doesn't prove much either. The Austrian League isn't much better than championship standard for the most part, if at all.

Saying that 'he's 22 and still can't get into the U21 side' seems to suggest that he was never able to get into the U21 side, which is obviously not the case. It also ignores the fact that the U21 team is managed by Aidy Boothroyd, a noted admirer of the more direct and athletic player, with little time for the more gifted footballers like Hughes.

I was all set to write a balanced post about its the right time to sell Will Hughes for him and us and look forward to seeing how Rowett will mould a competitive side in his image to move forward....until I've watched sky sports news! 

£4.5m rising to £7m is an absolute joke and a disgrace!! And I've also heard we've cut our losses with Camara and just dumped another £1m there!!!

Rowett I'm sure will get this team right and competitive but these are bad business decisions! 

Is this the result of not having a CEO to conduct transfer dealings Mel?!

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

You got any players that were good in 2013 lying around? We've only got 7 million spending money, will that be enough for Joel Ekstrand?

Haha. Watford is the perfect club for Hughes to push on at btw. Never been in relegation danger. Will play a lot of football with a manger that plays 'the right way'- he'll be playing with Roberto Pereyra and most likely Mario Lemina which isn't too bad eh? Worth noting that we've wanted Hughes since we got promoted. 

There is is some chatter within the fan base that Ben Watson *could* be going your way! - cracking midfielder for us. Mazzarri the **** underused him. Immense in our first season back under QSF.

8 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I be asking for 20m no less

I dont think he's worth it, we always over rate our homegrown players... tom huddlestone the next big thing, addison, ball, barnes, the free flowing claude makalele qualites jamie hanson has.

hughes is good but not that good. He wont be the next delle alli, he's had an injury our medical staff might know something others dont

£20m is too much i reckon if hendrick went for £10m then in todays market £9-10m would be fair although hendrick was on the back of a decent euros  

8 minutes ago, Belotti said:

Haha. Watford is the perfect club for Hughes to push on at btw. Never been in relegation danger. Will play a lot of football with a manger that plays 'the right way'- he'll be playing with Roberto Pereyra and most likely Mario Lemina which isn't too bad eh? Worth noting that we've wanted Hughes since we got promoted. 

There is is some chatter within the fan base that Ben Watson *could* be going your way! - cracking midfielder for us. Mazzarri the **** underused him. Immense in our first season back under QSF.

Ben Watson is good player tbf. 

Archived