Davies & [Insert Name Here]

Day

Curtis David &.....  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Defence was 5th best in Championship last season so no wholesale change needed. Forsyth back & Wisdom at RFB would give us a very powerful unit who won't be bullied, that's for sure. 

Our defensive record was 5th best, but that doesn't necessarily mean we had the 5th best defence, pound for pound. It could be argued though that the dearth of protection afforded to them by a lack of a hold up striker or a defensive midfielder means the defence itself was BETTER than 5th best!

As I always like to point out, a Preston defence with Claude Davis at its heart (under Billy Davies), only conceded 33 goals in a 48 game season!  I don't kneed to tell anyone here that Claude Davis is seen as a joke figure and considered one of the worst defenders ever seen in a Derby shirt. Can you really say they had the best defence in the league when it included Clod!?

On a slightly different tack, 17 teams had a better record than us at defending set pieces! That's something that needs some serious attention, and hopefully Curtis Davies is the right fit to put us in a stronger position on that front.

All too often this season we've seen our defence statue-like at set pieces. Of course you want your players to do their job when it comes to marking, but you also need them to be able to read and react to the danger as it changes.

If there's a chance to be dominant & decisive, to be the first to the ball and to get it clear - even if it means you haver to leave someone unmarked to do it, then it's a risk you have to take - none of our defenders take that risk, none of them dominate the opposition or react quicker than the opposition react - they stick dutifully to their own jobs (good) but then stand their flapping their arms, shrugging their shoulders, shouting and pointing at each other (bad) with nobody truly taking responsibility for what's just happened.

10 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I am going to use modern political discussion tactics to make my point here;

The answer is Keogh and if you disagree with me you are wrong. 

But can we discuss it for 20 mins first?

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Our defensive record was 5th best, but that doesn't necessarily mean we had the 5th best defence, pound for pound. It could be argued though that the dearth of protection afforded to them by a lack of a hold up striker or a defensive midfielder means the defence itself is BETTER than 5th best.

As I always like to point out, a Preston defence with Claude Davis at its heart (under Billy Davies), only conceded 33 goals in a 48 game season!  I don't kneed to tell anyone here that Claude Davis is seen as a joke figure and considered one of the worst defenders ever seen in a Derby shirt.

On a slightly different tack, 17 teams had a better record than us at defending set pieces! That's something that needs some serious attention, and hopefully Curtis Davies is the right fit to put us in a stronger position on that front.

All too often this season we've seen our defence statue-like at set pieces. Of course you want your players to do their job when it comes to marking, but you also need them to be able to read and react to the danger as it changes.

If there's a chance to be dominant & decisive, to be the first to the ball and to get it clear - even if it means you haver to leave someone unmarked to do it, then it's a risk you have to take - none of our defenders take that risk, none of them dominate the opposition or react quicker than the opposition react - they stick dutifully to their own jobs (good) but then stand their flapping their arms, shrugging their shoulders, shouting and pointing at each other (bad) with nobody truly taking rsponsibility for what's just happened.

Not entirely sure what your point is Coconut. Records can always be improved and 5th best defensive record isn't good enough ...there are 4 other teams with better ones. But my point was that we don't need to tinker too much to improve. As others have noted, it's the ratio of goals conceded to goals scored that's key so we need to score more; and tighten up a little at the back. But my point is for all those Rams fans saying we need to buy another centre half (eg Grant Hanley). Well, if it ain't that broken, it doesn't need all that fixing. Some Derby fans think that we just need to go out and spend yet more money...but if I am reading things correctly, GR has bought in somebody not just with physical presence, but also experience of getting out of the division and also with a steeley character. The addition of Wisdom and the return of Forsyth, and the return of Thorne (or a suitable replacement for Thorne) should see us add plenty of height and presence to tighten things up. I suspect Pearce will be the one who loses out because at times his reading and positional sense costs us. He also seemed to dally at set piece situations too often. GR is clever enough to see that a couple of strategic tweaks and that will be enough...

9 hours ago, Coconut said:

This is something which will certainly change. If you compare players and how they defend set pieces

Forsyth is way better than Olsson/Lowe

Martin is way better than Bent, bit better than Nuge.

Thorne is way better than Bryson/Hughes/Butters. I can't see Johnson dropping from first team.

Davies is harder one, not seen enough to judge. If he is at the level of Pearce, we are fine. Then he would be better Keogh.

Positive change will be inevitable. Three better headers makes hell of a difference.

Archived