Ten Years Ago Today...

Posh Ram

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

First thing I remember that day.

I remember looking at the temp on the car when we got to watford and it was 5 degrees c.

Good day. Tony mowbray was very gracious in defeat.

then the internal politics and billy's poor scouting set us up for a disasterous season.

claude davis at centre half.

bob malcolm playing at anfield. 

Howard and oakley sold by the porrn star to fund signing robbie savage - dear me. Even tommy docherty wasn't that bad.

34 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Good day. Tony mowbray was very gracious in defeat.

then the internal politics and billy's poor scouting set us up for a disasterous season.

claude davis at centre half.

bob malcolm playing at anfield. 

Howard and oakley sold by the porrn star to fund signing robbie savage - dear me. Even tommy docherty wasn't that bad.

Was thinking earlier, why the f**k did he sell Dave Jones.  He dropped a monumental b0ll0ck with that one...

It was a great day, although as others have pointed out, it was sodding freezing all day.  I was low down, close to the pitch and got soaked.  Still, I didn't seem to notice how cold I was, waving to the WBA coaches as they left the car parks...  It was even sweeter for me cus I worked with dozens of Baggies.  That week at work was sweeeeeeeet...

Not usually one to promote stuff on here, but I'm going to make an exception this time.

Sportscene Special on BBC Radio Derby tonight from 5pm (podcast will be available too) looking back on the 2007 final.

I hardly have to say anything, because Colin Gibson, Steve Nicholson & Mark Edworthy are all very good.

Honestly the most enjoyable thing I've done for ages. Give it a listen ??

Are you including the infamous Billy Davis speeches ??   It was a great day because of what it was.. Not just our game but the first proper event at the New Wembley..   Very cold and wet but there were Loos in the outside wall. Genius !!

Midst the euphoria and disbelief that Pearson of all people had sent us to the Promised  Land   my  friend on the left said....'We will break Sunderland's record  ' ..........  and she was right.

I don't think the club have quite recovered from that season yet and I know I certainly haven't. Going up that season and making such a pigs ear of it convinced me that free-flowing football, with goals (lots of goals) spread around the team is how you go up and stay up. I have seen very little since then to change my mind. 

People talk about functional football, grinding out results to win being the thing that gets you promoted. It might get you promoted, but it doesn't keep you up unless you're managed by Tony Pulis or Sam Allardyce. Fast, free-flowing attacking football, not hoofball is what gets you up and keeps you up. 

It's what makes me so bitter about our decision to go for players who did not fit that style of play in the seasons after 2013. We could have done it, if only we had actually put some thought into our transfer business.

On 2017-5-28 at 15:29, DerbyMark said:

One of the best days EVER supporting the Rams, from very early start to very late finish!

Could go into detail but already I feel a tear of nostalgia..

Or maybe that's because of what happened the following season...

Went down the day before, Travelodge near Euston Station, met up with a group for afternoon drinking in Camden and evening nr Euston with Blackpool, Yeovil and Baggies fans....the Yeovil lads didn't have to buy a drink for thrashing the Gumps in the play off semi...

Late train back after the match the following day and just a big, hazy, happy, blur in between...:D

I went corporate for this game, it was the only tickets I could get. And I've seen the Rams four times at Wembley, 3 defeats and this game being the only winning one, so to be wined, beered and dinned in wonderful surroundings before the game, and during the game made the day even sweeter.

The videos on You Tube etc don't do any of the corporate Wembley any justice, the red carpet treatment, escalators, bars, restaurants, bands playing etc, wonderful stuff.

I was lucky enough to enjoy the same treatment with my family watching Dean Windass score a great goal for Hull City to beat Bristol City 1-0 also, to get the Tigers promoted to the Premiership.

I remember being in the arc restaurant. Before the game you write down what drinks you would like at half time, so a big list was written and drinks were ready when you got back to the table and then we wrote a bigger list of drinks for after the game and I will always remember the celebrations, the sing songs, and people having a good time after both games. Happy days.

Look even Millwall can do the corporate treatment!.....Up The Rams!

7 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

I don't think the club have quite recovered from that season yet and I know I certainly haven't. Going up that season and making such a pigs ear of it convinced me that free-flowing football, with goals (lots of goals) spread around the team is how you go up and stay up. I have seen very little since then to change my mind. 

People talk about functional football, grinding out results to win being the thing that gets you promoted. It might get you promoted, but it doesn't keep you up unless you're managed by Tony Pulis or Sam Allardyce. Fast, free-flowing attacking football, not hoofball is what gets you up and keeps you up. 

It's what makes me so bitter about our decision to go for players who did not fit that style of play in the seasons after 2013. We could have done it, if only we had actually put some thought into our transfer business.

and some money

So glad my only trip, so far, to new Wembley was the 2007 play-off final rather than the more recent one. A brilliant day capping a very enjoyable season - seeing us win at Elland Road was a particularly sweet moment.

The Baggies fans on the tube afterwards seemed shell-shocked but the mood soured quickly for me hearing Billy's post-match comments.

On 29/05/2017 at 20:56, uttoxram75 said:

Went down the day before, Travelodge near Euston Station, met up with a group for afternoon drinking in Camden and evening nr Euston with Blackpool, Yeovil and Baggies fans....the Yeovil lads didn't have to buy a drink for thrashing the Gumps in the play off semi...

Late train back after the match the following day and just a big, hazy, happy, blur in between...:D

What was that pub in central London, near Kings Cross station...the Euston Flyer!

Derby completely took it over that day.

It more than wet the whistle for the sing song on the Bakerloo Line up to Wembley ?

Hmph!

I was stuck in the middle of nowhere in a Borneo rainforest without even a dial up connection...

Never give in to your wife when she wants to book a holiday in February on the assumption we'll get an automatic spot...

?

Archived